Insult my Sumo Form Please

Been lifting for about 2 months, mostly working on technique with much lighter weights but this is a max for me. 315lbs at 150lb bodyweight :stuck_out_tongue:

Niceā€¦ Wide stance conventional lol

lol!

Srsly tho you are pretty much pulling conventional awkwardly.

Have a read and watch the links in this recent post. Same situation as you. Itā€™s mostly all there

thanks!

1 thing tho unless you want to stay light weight for some reason or another eat plenty and do plenty of actual convential pulling even if sumo is your ā€œmainā€. Itā€™ll build mass everywhere which all carries over to increasing sumo

1 Like

Iā€™m starting to see people calling this the ā€˜modified sumoā€™. I might embrace it. however, the moral of the story is that i didnt even know what i was doing until posting/feedback. Iā€™d consider capability of a proper conventional, sumo & modified as prerequisite to determining what is best for me.

Wise beyond your gains young padawan.

Give each a decent go and use what you like

Pulled conventional for most of my lifting life. Tried tru sumo. Stronger and felt better. Now itā€™s my main deadlift but the base I built with conventional was invaluable.

1 Like

First thatā€™s not even close to sumo. Your hips are still closed and your knees are pointing forward, making it a wide conventional. Even in the narrow/moderate sumo (Inaba, Inzer, Coan) the knees are way out to the sides. You may or may not have the hip anatomy for it. To soon to try.

After doing this for a looooong time, I have concluded that sumo should be learned when there is already a good base of strength, especially in the low back and core. I now recommend that beginners stick with conventional until they can pull at least double bodyweight.

After that the majority of their training (75%) should still revolve around RDLā€™s, stiff legs, conventional deficit pulls, block pulls, etc. Even Ed Coan trained conventional and wouldnā€™t start pulling sumo until about 6 weeks out.

I learned in the past that pulling sumo full time weakened my lower back.

2 Likes

Yellow tank top isnā€™t helping.

Are we insulting him now or still his form. e.g. Bich you some concentration camp looking motherfucker .

1 Like

Those are people you donā€™t want to listen to. Whether you use a narrower stance or go toes to the plates depends on your flexibility and hip structure, as well as in what position you are strongest in. It only makes sense to start with a narrower stance and work you way out gradually because you probably donā€™t have very strong adductors if you just started lifting and flexibility can definitely be an issue.

The problem here is that you need to open your hips more and shift the weight back onto your heels, you are leaning forward too much. It almost looks like you are trying to squat the weight up because your shins are tilted forward, they should be vertical.

1 Like

Your sumo is dumb

1 Like

I fucking called it @Vincepac1500

2 Likes

After reading the last few comments Im going to work on opening hips, weight back on heels & shins vertical. Iā€™ll also keep doing conventional + accessories.

1 Like

Whats your reasoning for this?

Hmm you pull reduced ROM relying on technique and leverages to move max weight. Developing strength/hypertrophy isnā€™t exactly in the description. Building a base is what this forum recommends to every beginner.

Frankly you miss out on potential growth and overload of some muscle groups if you mostly sumo. Some dudes getting rounded out by lightweight even with sumo pulling just never developed the strength in their spinal erectors through conventional. Just a bit of conventional and itā€™s all good. In the thread on Yury Belkin we talked about his conventional pulling strength leading to back strength which was more than sufficient for anything he could ever conceivably pull sumo

Havenā€™t had this from personal experience but have been told sumo beats up your hips and knees more than conventional which could be a consideration in higher volume phases.

No reason you canā€™t do both at the same time though. Conventional carries over to sumo just fine (other way around not so sure)

Actually this is how I pull, and itā€™s sumo. I can pull about 70lbs more with a very close sumo stance than a conventional stance.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll gladly explain.

Back when I competed previously, I began competing conventional and got seriously stuck at 405. At the time I had no clue why and kept busting my head against it to no avail. So I started dabbling in sumo. Some time later at a meet, Steve Scialpi offered to work on my form which frankly sucked. He got me a PR that day and I went to train at his gym for a year. Conversion to sumo was now full speed ahead. While the sumo was increasing every now and then I would pull conventional but was never able to feel comfortable or get stronger in the conventional style.

Now after a long absence, Iā€™m back and though Iā€™m using sumo occasionally (conjugate), Iā€™m primarily pulling conventional and I feel stronger and more comfortable pulling conventional. I believe that when I was pulling mostly sumo, my back was not getting enough attention and began to lag eventually stalling my sumo shortly before I left the sport.

Regarding the recommendation for beginners, I feel that beginning sumo too early will handicap back development, and overstress the connective tissues of the hips and knees which are already being hammered by squatting. Also, the conventional technique is much easier to master than sumo and a beginner has enough to pay attention to at that stage.

Of course, like anything else, this is an opinion based on one personā€™s experience so the only way for anyone to be sure is to experiment, hopefully under a good coachā€™s eye.

1 Like

Correct.

Conventional builds a sumo.

Sumo wrecks a conventional deadlift.

The reason as you correctly stated is the weakening of the back. The midsection (I hate the fucking C word) is the center of power, strength and energy (chi) of the human body. Every time you apply force to an external resistance that force travels through the midsection. If any part of the midsection is weak, game over.

It has also been my observation that sumo applies a shearing force (lunges, fencing) to the knee as opposed to a hinge action (squats). I found that too much sumo volume begins to hurt my patellar tendons.