T Nation

Insulin w/ Intermittent Fasting

I’ve used slin here and there PWO, but am curious to see what the most effective/safest way is to incorporate it into my current routine as follows:

On Training Days:
4:00pm - break fast with 100g protein (shake), 54g carbs (oats)
6:00pm - train
7:30pm - 126g protein(chicken), 150g carbs(sweet potatoes)
9:00pm - 100g protein (shake), 170g carbs (cereal)
11:30pm - start fasting

I’m basically constantly eating from 7:30pm until around 11pmish. Since there’s no separation between my meals, how should the slin usage be distributed, or should I take a massive amount (1iu/10g carbs, almost 30ius) when I start my feeding period?

Note - I’d switch the cereal out with a low GI carb when I start. Also, I eat the solid meal first because the shake/cereal really fills me up and makes it hard to eat my other meal.

Just to follow up with more research, its seems like although I’d be having enough carbs, such a large dosage would not be well played.

Instead I pinned 8iu (generic Humulin-R) today PWO which I followed immediately with my 7:30pm meal (had white rice instead) and will now follow with my shake and more low GI carbs. Any thoughts on how to fine tune this? Vets?

there’s not too many dudes on here use slin mate.

Having said that, slin logs on here are fucking non-existent so if you wouldn’t mind reporting back as to how you’re getting on I’m sure we’d all appreciate it.

What I do is 15iu pre-workout and then 15iu post-workout. I get the benefit of the slin pump (which are the best skin stretching pumps ive ever had)… and a longer duration of nutrient uptake… really watch your fats and carbs!!!.. unless your taking it with gear it makes it incredibly easy to gain excess fat… and 10g carbs is too high in my opinion its more like 5 to 7g carbs per iu.

Just a quick update from last Saturday. I trained lower body Saturday morning (fasted). Pinned 10iu of Humulin-R once I got home, went hypo in a matter of 7-10mins but because I was prepared, I had my carb drink by my side and drank that followed by my chicken/white rice meal (96g pro/144g carb).

After eventually finishing this meal I was pissin like a race horse and had an unquenchable thirst. Turns out these are signs of high glucose in the blood (not enough insulin to shuttle them to tissue I suppose). I was a little hesitant to take a corrective shot, and let time take care of things.

I’ve been skipping the slin this week and just bought a glucose meter the other day. Any thoughts on my BG potentially being to high? Pinning a 10:1 carbs:slin ratio would have put me at a pretty damn big dosage which is why I didn’t do it.

take your fasted BG and post it up…

also, your plan is fucking retarded… and you will get fat as fuck.

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
take your fasted BG and post it up…

also, your plan is fucking retarded… and you will get fat as fuck.[/quote]

Will do. Can you explain why?

because insulin was never meant to be used alongside an IF-style diet… ur consuming WAY too much in too small of a window

stick to 40/40/15 or so for your meals

eat a meal

then 1.5 hours later start sipping a drink with 25g protein hydrosylates + 70-80g branch chain cyclic dextrins (or similar) and pin 10iu humalog, then start lifting 5 minutes later. sip the drink throughout your workout. hour after your workout, have 45g lean protein and 40g carbs from white rice

keep glucose tabs on ur person at all times while the humalog is active

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
because insulin was never meant to be used alongside an IF-style diet… ur consuming WAY too much in too small of a window…[/quote]

I still don’t follow this logic and the part about getting fat (not saying it’s wrong as I dont know any better, I just don’t understand it). Then those who IF and naturally spike their insulin levels by eating large amounts of high GI foods after their fast/training session must get fat too…?

Why would artificially spiking my levels with exogenous slin while eating low GI foods cause me to get fat? I would imagine it would do the same thing as my body would normally do but in a more effective manner.

[quote]vette6 wrote:

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
because insulin was never meant to be used alongside an IF-style diet… ur consuming WAY too much in too small of a window…[/quote]

I still don’t follow this logic and the part about getting fat (not saying it’s wrong as I dont know any better, I just don’t understand it). Then those who IF and naturally spike their insulin levels by eating large amounts of high GI foods after their fast/training session must get fat too…?

Why would artificially spiking my levels with exogenous slin while eating low GI foods cause me to get fat? I would imagine it would do the same thing as my body would normally do but in a more effective manner.
[/quote]

ok dude… im not going to take the time to explain it to you, but just trust me… im trying to help you.

also, taking massive amounts of insulin (you said 30iu?) at once will de-sensitize you to your body’s natural GH IIRC, and taking that much insulin and then trying to stay out of hypo by eating low GI like sweet potatoes?

u really don’t want to do this to yourself bro… u will not make it out alive. trust me.

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

u really don’t want to do this to yourself bro… u will not make it out alive. trust me. [/quote]

You don’t hear that here too often, that’s when you know you’ve crossed some sort of line

[quote]lbraga wrote:

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

u really don’t want to do this to yourself bro… u will not make it out alive. trust me. [/quote]

You don’t hear that here too often, that’s when you know you’ve crossed some sort of line [/quote]

yes.

OP, i went hypo once as i was consuming my post workout WHITE rice (simple carb…) and chicken meal.

i took my blood sugar and it was 33…

fucking 33 bro, by medical standards i was actually in a coma… the carbs that i had consumed during my workout (via peri-workout shake) were what was keeping me conscious.

and that was on only 10iu… and ur talking about 30???

if you try to stay out of hypo with oatmeal and/or sweet potatoes… then i hope you and god are tight. at least your death will be quick… going hypo isnt actually that bad… u kinda just…

fall asleep (trust me… ive almost gone there)

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

yes.

OP, i went hypo once as i was consuming my post workout WHITE rice (simple carb…) and chicken meal.

i took my blood sugar and it was 33…

fucking 33 bro, by medical standards i was actually in a coma… the carbs that i had consumed during my workout (via peri-workout shake) were what was keeping me conscious.

and that was on only 10iu… and ur talking about 30???

if you try to stay out of hypo with oatmeal and/or sweet potatoes… then i hope you and god are tight. at least your death will be quick… going hypo isnt actually that bad… u kinda just…

fall asleep (trust me… ive almost gone there)[/quote]

How long was your workout after the 10iu? Did you start getting shaky or sweating?

You still using insulin?

[quote]conservativedog wrote:

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

yes.

OP, i went hypo once as i was consuming my post workout WHITE rice (simple carb…) and chicken meal.

i took my blood sugar and it was 33…

fucking 33 bro, by medical standards i was actually in a coma… the carbs that i had consumed during my workout (via peri-workout shake) were what was keeping me conscious.

and that was on only 10iu… and ur talking about 30???

if you try to stay out of hypo with oatmeal and/or sweet potatoes… then i hope you and god are tight. at least your death will be quick… going hypo isnt actually that bad… u kinda just…

fall asleep (trust me… ive almost gone there)[/quote]

How long was your workout after the 10iu? Did you start getting shaky or sweating?

You still using insulin?

[/quote]

i pinned it intramuscular during my workout. ive never done post workout.

and yes lmao… i got very sweaty and very skaky. u dont just go straight into a coma (thank god)

and no, i do 4 weeks on, 4 off… yesterday was my last day for 4 weeks :((((

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]conservativedog wrote:

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

yes.

OP, i went hypo once as i was consuming my post workout WHITE rice (simple carb…) and chicken meal.

i took my blood sugar and it was 33…

fucking 33 bro, by medical standards i was actually in a coma… the carbs that i had consumed during my workout (via peri-workout shake) were what was keeping me conscious.

and that was on only 10iu… and ur talking about 30???

if you try to stay out of hypo with oatmeal and/or sweet potatoes… then i hope you and god are tight. at least your death will be quick… going hypo isnt actually that bad… u kinda just…

fall asleep (trust me… ive almost gone there)[/quote]

How long was your workout after the 10iu? Did you start getting shaky or sweating?

You still using insulin?

[/quote]

i pinned it intramuscular during my workout. ive never done post workout.

and yes lmao… i got very sweaty and very skaky. u dont just go straight into a coma (thank god)

and no, i do 4 weeks on, 4 off… yesterday was my last day for 4 weeks :(((([/quote]

It’s not a good feeling, you can get confused and shaky real fast. You lucked out bro.

Don’t count on the sweet potato to bring you back!!

[quote]conservativedog wrote:

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]conservativedog wrote:

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

yes.

OP, i went hypo once as i was consuming my post workout WHITE rice (simple carb…) and chicken meal.

i took my blood sugar and it was 33…

fucking 33 bro, by medical standards i was actually in a coma… the carbs that i had consumed during my workout (via peri-workout shake) were what was keeping me conscious.

and that was on only 10iu… and ur talking about 30???

if you try to stay out of hypo with oatmeal and/or sweet potatoes… then i hope you and god are tight. at least your death will be quick… going hypo isnt actually that bad… u kinda just…

fall asleep (trust me… ive almost gone there)[/quote]

How long was your workout after the 10iu? Did you start getting shaky or sweating?

You still using insulin?

[/quote]

i pinned it intramuscular during my workout. ive never done post workout.

and yes lmao… i got very sweaty and very skaky. u dont just go straight into a coma (thank god)

and no, i do 4 weeks on, 4 off… yesterday was my last day for 4 weeks :(((([/quote]

It’s not a good feeling, you can get confused and shaky real fast. You lucked out bro.

Don’t count on the sweet potato to bring you back!!
[/quote]

indeed… sweet potatoes do not make good life lines…

i just made sure to shovel the white rice down my throat as fast as i could… that way, if i were to pass out, i actually would wake up eventually

the scary part is when you hear about guys going hypo and then trying desperately to get carbs down but start throwing up everywhere, and either have to cover their gums in maple syrup or give themselves a glucose shot for one last attempt to save themselves as they start to drop out of consciousness

insulin should not be fucked with if you have no clue what youre doing… (like the op)

otherwise, it’s totally safe, and very effective.

Whilst reading thread entertained the idea of using slin. Read Walkway’s post and fuck that. No where near ready .

[quote]Gcortese wrote:
Whilst reading thread entertained the idea of using slin. Read Walkway’s post and fuck that. No where near ready .[/quote]

it’s actually very safe and effective, not to mention cheap…

what i did wrong, was i took lecuine wiith my post-workout meal… dropped my blood sugar immediately. just look up a protocol and give it a shot. might want to consider starting slow tho

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]Gcortese wrote:
Whilst reading thread entertained the idea of using slin. Read Walkway’s post and fuck that. No where near ready .[/quote]

it’s actually very safe and effective, not to mention cheap…

what i did wrong, was i took lecuine with my post-workout meal… dropped my blood sugar immediately. just look up a protocol and give it a shot. might want to consider starting slow tho[/quote]

When should you have used the leucine? I have read it does help to regulate blood sugar which is not good thing added to insulin.

[quote]conservativedog wrote:

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]Gcortese wrote:
Whilst reading thread entertained the idea of using slin. Read Walkway’s post and fuck that. No where near ready .[/quote]

it’s actually very safe and effective, not to mention cheap…

what i did wrong, was i took lecuine with my post-workout meal… dropped my blood sugar immediately. just look up a protocol and give it a shot. might want to consider starting slow tho[/quote]

When should you have used the leucine? I have read it does help to regulate blood sugar which is not good thing added to insulin.[/quote]

i had it in my peri-workout shakes alongside hydrosylated proteins and cyclic dextrins.

i should have left it at that, but decided to take some before my post workout meal of white rice/chicken… was a bad call.

in all honesty, people make hypo from insulin sound like a mack truck that hits you and it’s lights out… in reality, you see it and feel it coming from a mile away