Insulin Spike Help?

I just want to know “WHICH CARBS” to ditch because I’m getting a little to soft in my midsection. My workouts are going great and my lifts are progressing as well. Just noticing some love handles starting to sprout. Think I need to back off the carbs a little. Aside from breakfast, the rest of my meals are P+F ones.

Take your carbs around your workouts instead of breakfast, and see how that goes.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

[quote]JP181 wrote:
My reasoning isn’t based off of book learning, because my “book learning”/BBer guidelines say pre-workout is important. From the athletes/lifters I’ve worked with world class powerlifters, olympic lifters, high school & college athletes I’ve noticed that pre-workout carbs for them are non-relevant even though conventional wisdom says other wise.

I love the sport of bodybuilding and have trained with a few myself; but all the gym rats I talk to are trying to follow a Jay Cutler/Branch Warren routine of nutritional habits. They have to realize that the NON-tested bbers (prohormone users) can get away with more than the average person.

[/quote]

I guess the difference between athletes and BBers is that athletes tend to consume carbs freely, whereas BBers restrict them. This would easily expalin the difference between the two. Certainly mu non-bb clients do not eat the same way as my BB clients or they wouldn’t last a week without burnout.

So yeah, I kind of see what you are saying. Not sure I understand the term ‘non-relevant’, lol.

Your second paragraph confused me completely as it seems to have nothing to do with the discussion between us.

Finally, I have to say that since this is a BBing forum, it might be more relevant to stick to what works (or doesn’t) for BBers, not athletes.

BBB[/quote]

Fair enough…
Don’t know why I used the word ‘non-relevant’ I don’t think that word exist? I think I meant to say irrelevant!-reason why I did not pick English as a major.

You prefer pre-workout carbs, while I do not think they are truly necessary – its just something we won’t see eye to eye with.

Back to my original post you’d agree that an insulin spike post-workout MAY cause GH levels to drop! - At least we agree on some terms.

It is not okay to disregard the arcuate as the same as the PVN. If you are going to delve into neuro research its important you understand the differences. The parvocellular component or the PVN is responsible for somatostatin inhibitory component of the GHRH feedback. The AN is more sensitive to changes in glucose and is also responsible for primary GHRH secretion, projecting down to the pituitary. This doesn’t affect your discussion much, but you should understand the differences in general

Quick question - what background do you have in Exercise Physiology or Endocrine system ?

BBB[/quote]

For BBing purposes PWO carbs can be detrimental to physique.
BBB[/quote]

Why…? (little help for the layman)

So keep my pre + peri carbs and just use protein and leucine post wo?

BBB,

One last questions. Besides carbs pre and peri workout, would you rather include carbs for breakfast or post workout?

I like my carbs per workout over post, especially when dieting because carbs give me the energy necessary to drag my starving ass into the gym and lift some heavy shit. That’s just me though…

[quote]JP181 wrote:
Quick question - what background do you have in Exercise Physiology or Endocrine system ? [/quote]

I am currently doing a post doc in GR and BDNF signaling in different pharmacological agents at the University of Arizona. Why? What is YOUR experience? Do you disagree with something I said? Or was it merely out of curiosity?

[quote]MODOK wrote:
SOME folks in here could benefit from reading the book “Nutrient Timing.” It will answer all these questions for you guys. [/quote]

Guess you’re referring to me, lol. Funny you mention it, cause I’m about half way through the book…started it last week, lol.

[quote]egnatiosj wrote:

[quote]JP181 wrote:
Quick question - what background do you have in Exercise Physiology or Endocrine system ? [/quote]

I am currently doing a post doc in GR and BDNF signaling in different pharmacological agents at the University of Arizona. Why? What is YOUR experience? Do you disagree with something I said? Or was it merely out of curiosity?[/quote]

Its safe to say that you’ll be getting private messages from me down the road. I could use your expertise especially when you said pharmacological agents; I’m taking a pharmacology course myself and its by far the hardest class I’ve had yet.
After next August I’ll have a degree in Exercise Science and a minor in Nutrition, & then looking for post grad opportunities with PhD possibilities. I have not decided which route to take tho so I still have some thinking to do

YGPM

[quote]MODOK wrote:
SOME folks in here could benefit from reading the book “Nutrient Timing.” It will answer all these questions for you guys. [/quote]

Thanks Modok…ordered a used copy on ebay for $8…will add it to the collection!

PWO - 10-20g of glucose and 40-60g of mod GI carbs(oats) with 50g whey is what I feel is optimal(for myself).

I see workout nutrition as more of recovery thing rather than the key to muscle gain. I think total kcal/macros are far more important in that regard.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
What’s the full name of the book you are referring to? I found a couple with the same title just want to make sure I read the right one