Insulin Spike from Milk?

I have read several times that milk is supposed to cause a huge insulin spike. When you look at it’s Glycemic Index, it’s pretty low (mid 40’s). If the GI is so low, how does it cause such an insulin reaction? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Milk%20Final.pdf

here is a good start

Holy Sh*t, that was a great article. I just skimmed it, but they seem to suggest it may be the proteins in milk that are the culprit. What does that say for all the protein powders out there with milk proteins in them?

Lots of people say whey spikes insulin too. I wouldn’t use it any other time than post workout when cutting. Not that you should really anyways…casein would be better a better choice.

[quote]T234 wrote:
Lots of people say whey spikes insulin too. I wouldn’t use it any other time than post workout when cutting. Not that you should really anyways…casein would be better a better choice. [/quote]

As long as you eat some fat with the whey you’ll be fine.
Fat and fiber lowers the GI of foods.
However,I would not advocate drinking whey by itself.

most (80%) of the protein in milk is casein. milk does indeed cause an insulin spike in decent quantities, this serves to help the protein absorb. only in the presence of too many carbs will you run into issues with insulin. this level of carbs varies with each person based on genetics and recent activity levels.

Add a bit of simple carbs (dextrose) to the milk and the GI will shoot through the roof. I’ve heard that cocoa will give it an additional raise of GI.

That’s what I use when I run out of Surge: a jug of chocolate milk. Seems to work well enough.

Ditto…Nesquik has maltodextrin…good for us poor folks who can’t afford Surge every day.

[quote]wfifer wrote:
Ditto…Nesquik has maltodextrin…good for us poor folks who can’t afford Surge every day. [/quote]

Actually… (grin) I’ll confess. I’m a bad parent. I steal from my kids’ Nesquick every day.

Works pretty well PWO thou’.

[quote]florin wrote:
Add a bit of simple carbs (dextrose) to the milk and the GI will shoot through the roof. I’ve heard that cocoa will give it an additional raise of GI.

That’s what I use when I run out of Surge: a jug of chocolate milk. Seems to work well enough.[/quote]

Damn that is depressing. Chocolate milk has a GI of like 45, so I thought it would have less of an insulin effect. I love drinking choco milk post workout and almost any other time too!

Some hershey cocoa powder+dextrose+ non-fat milk/whey/casein

Take a look:

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
T234 wrote:
Lots of people say whey spikes insulin too. I wouldn’t use it any other time than post workout when cutting. Not that you should really anyways…casein would be better a better choice.

However,I would not advocate drinking whey by itself.[/quote]

Would whole milk have a lower insulin Spike than skim, then?

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
T234 wrote:

However,I would not advocate drinking whey by itself.

Would whole milk have a lower insulin Spike than skim, then?[/quote]

Well,the GI is based on 50 carbsor so. However,I don’t think a glass of whole milk would be as bad as having 3-4 glasses of skim milk.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Would whole milk have a lower insulin Spike than skim, then?[/quote]

Not significantly. Saturated fat has a synergystic response insulin response that effecitvely means that doesn’t significantly lower GI/II. Milk fat is mostly saturated.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
Well,the GI is based on 50 carbsor so. However,I don’t think a glass of whole milk would be as bad as having 3-4 glasses of skim milk.[/quote]

What about a gallon of whole milk? hahah

Franck posted:

It is a good article.

An early article about Glycemic Index (GI) and Insulin Index (II):
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/66/5/1264

It seems that one can lower a high GI food by adding foods that have lower GI. It is like averaging the GI of all the food eaten.

The II is another beast… It is like adding the II of each item together. It is like stacking blocks. Dr. John Berardi made the PWO drink Surge to take full advantage of II.

I never realized there was a Insulin index. I just read a Berardi article on here about it. It is something I will have to research more. That is what is good about this site. Quality info, not marketing BS and unfounded opinions.

[quote]ocn2000 wrote:
I never realized there was a Insulin index. I just read a Berardi article on here about it. It is something I will have to research more. That is what is good about this site. Quality info, not marketing BS and unfounded opinions.[/quote]

here is a link to the glucose load list:

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

if you poke around the site, there is info on GI, II, and GL.

you may also want to check out the origins paper that sums up the major dietary research:

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/published_research/

scroll down, its number 7, the other papers are interesting too!

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
Well,the GI is based on 50 carbsor so. However,I don’t think a glass of whole milk would be as bad as having 3-4 glasses of skim milk.

What about a gallon of whole milk? hahah[/quote]

Lets just say if you’re bulking it doesn’t count.