Insulin Sensitivity

My question is can you change your insulin sensitivity for the better by eating clean? I ask this because I used to be obese at 242(about 2 years ago) and through eating clean and training I managed to get down to 160(height-5’8) and 8% bodyfat. Up until the age of 21, I ate like shit; candy,junkfood,you name it. Well I know that this hurt my insulin sensitivity and it has made it very hard for me to get to 10% bodyfat or lower. Can eating clean(let’s say consecutively for about 3-5years or longer) change your insulin sensitivity at all? I hope this makes sense.

Exercise and proper nutrition should lead to enhanced insulin sensitivity. Read up on some of JB’s columns, particularly some of the older Appetite for Constructions. You know JB and the rest of us always highly tout EPA/DHA, and one of the plethora of benefits is enhanced insulin sensitivity in the muscle and decreased insulin sensitivity in adipose. This was displayed well by Eric Noreen in an article called Lean, Mean, Fat-Burning Machine.

There is no question that you can alter your levels of insulin sensitivity when you eat cleanly. As the Timbo post noted, EPA/DHA intake plays a big role in this. Make sure your getting your fishy oils and a minimum of 6 grams/day.
Staying away from the processed foods will make a world of difference long term too.

Eat clean…Stay lean!!!

Thanks Timbo. I know we can improve upon our insulin sensitivity through eating clean, cardio, and weight training and even supplements like fish oil and ALA. I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part that we could totally change our insulin sensitivity. I guess we just have to work with what we got.