T Nation

Insulin sensitivity help

I am by no means a endochrinologist so could sombody explain to me in relatively simple terms exactly the role that insulin plays with respect to carbs, insulin sensitivity and blood glucose testing. Here is my understanding so far.

1. You eat carbs, they get converted to glucose and cause an increase in blood glucose levels.

2. increased blood glucose causes an increase in the release of insulin.

3. if your muscles cells are insulin resistant, chances are most of the glucose is going to go into fat cells as opposed to the muscle cells.

4. if your muscle cells are insulin sensitive, then much of the glucose will be transported into the muscle cells instead of fat cells.

Here is where my understanding is sparse. If your blood glucose levels stay elevated for longer then average periods of time, does this mean that your muscle cells are insulin resistant and therefore the glucose in the blood is not being cleared by the released insulin? If you get the standard carb crash (low blood glucose levels) relatively quickly after eating carbs, does this mean your muscle cells are insulin sensitive. I am assuming, the glucose in the blood gets removed (into the muscle cells ??) rather quickly by the released insulin?

Basically what I would like to understand is how does the results of blood glucose monitoring translate into an answer as to whether you are insulin resistant or insulin sensitive.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Our body uses sugar for energy and all carbs are broken down into sugar. Sugar is carried to our cells through our blood stream. Unfortunately sugar on its own cannot enter our cells, this is where insulin comes into play. Insulin opens doors to our cells that allow sugar to enter. Our bodies constantly monitor the amount of sugar in our blood stream and when it increases we release insulin to carry it to our cells. If we are injesting more sugar than our cells need for energy, then our cells that use this energy become full and cannot except any more sugar. Our cells begin removing their doors and become insulin resistant. As a result the insulin carries the sugar to other cells that can store the sugar as fat. Eventually fat cells can also become full and insulin resistant as well. When this happens the sugar remains in the blood stream because it has no where to go. This is type 2 diabetes. I guess my answer to your question is that if your blood sugar in your blood stream does not stay elevated after eating then the insulin is working, however, depending on your lifestyle will depend on whether the sugar is being used for energy or being stored as fat.