T Nation

INSULIN SENSITIVE OR RESISTANT?

I’ve been getting alot of questions about this so here is a little experiment for you to do at home. One way to assess your ability to handle carbs is to use a glucometer (can buy one in a pharmacy). Measure your fasted blood glucose (fasted at least 10hrs) at time 0 (before glu-cola-you may find it in a pharmacy), time 30 (after consuming the glucola beverage), time 60, time 90, and time 120. You should be back down to baseline by then. If not, measure all the way out to baseline. Although this only measures glucose, your fasted levels and your ability to get back down to baseline will indicate your glucose disposal capabilities. Obviously the best way to determine your insulin situation would be to measure insulin release but no one I know does that at home. I can do it in the lab here and often do on myself (yeah, yeah, I’m rubbing it in). Once you get some #'s post them here and I’ll tell you what they mean. It’s all relative, though so this is just a quick and dirty test. Another thing you can do is do the test as described above, then do it again after a week or two of MD6. Since MD6 has ALA, your glucose sensitivity would improve and your fasted blood glucose and your 120 min time course data should improve.

Oh yeah, forgot to add that if you want a better “before” MD6 and “after” MD6 comparison, make sure you do the test after a day of rest. Exercise on the previous day will affect your results.

Barry Sears says a quick way to tell if your insulin sensitive besides elaborate testing is to eat a meal and within an hour you feel like sleeping you should decrease your carbohydrates slightly, adjusting until you reach a meal that keeps you alert. He also states that if you store fat in your abdominal region (Apple) your are more likely insulin sensitive. Charles uses those facts to determine diets as well.

Tapper, Ive heard of these methods before and to be honest, I think they are way to gross. There are so many factors responsible for “feeling sleepy” and you couldnt possibly determine insulin sensitivity with any accuracy with this method. It is WAY to imprecise and subjective. The apple thing is also too gross since overeating can lead to this. Most men share the android distribution of adiposity (apple) so most males that get overfat will look like an apple. The testing I mention is pretty simple. A glucometer is like $50. It is such a valuable resource to test glucose and insulin sensitivity throughout training phases and supplement regimens. I really suggest you guys give it a shot rather than playing around with imprecise methods.

What do you think about Charles Claims about BF distribution and Hormones, there fore determining what type of diet to follow EX):

Apple obesity= Insulin sensitive, not carb tolerant

Pear Shaped = High levels of estrogen, must train to increase lactate through interval training, and eleveate testosterone and supplement with thermogenics to get rid of ASS fat

Bananna Type= Even BF distribution responds best to balanced diet can eat a higher number of carbs, responds to cardio, and the other types do not.

I agree with Poliquin’s ideas to a point. I do think that your body type is probably determined by birth and the shape will be with you for most of your life. You’re probably not going to change from a banana to a pear, from an apple to a banana, etc…All this talk about fruit, Im expecting a fruit basket for christmas from you…seriously…b/c these body types stick with you, you should use an objective criterion for improvements in hormone status, insulin sensitivity, glucose tolerance, etc. Hormonal/biochemical changes preceed physique changes so what Im saying is to try to monitor them as best as you can and then you will know if you are on the right track toward physique progress.

Hey guys, not many have responded to this which actually shocks me. This is a GREAT method to measure and potentially “fix” your insulin sensitivity issues. Also, interestingly, there are new and precise ways to measure insulin sensitivity using this simple Glucose Tolerance Test at home. Nope, you dont even have to measure insulin. I am saving this for the no holds barred seminar in Orlando.

John, I’m going to try what you suggested, but I may be a while since I’m on a business trip right now. Also, I want to pick a good time to try it. Also, multiple experiments are best, no? I’ve read that GI of certain certain foods can very greatly depending on the day and the physical condition you’re in.

John, This is great! I’ve just recently had a Glucose Tolerance / Insulin Sensitivity Test. Here are the results (G=glucose mMol/L, I=insulin pmol/L): Time 0 (fasting) G=4.7, I=64; Time 30 (30 minutes after a 75 gram glucose drink) G=3.8, I=287; Time 60 G=4.0, I=258; Time 90 G=4.1; Time 120 G=3.5, I=45; Time 180 G=4.2, I=17; Time 240 I=22.

Your interpretation of this data with any recommendations (re: diet, supplementation, etc.) would be great!

Thanks

In looking at your results a couple of things stand out…
first, your fasted insulin is great but your fasted glucose seems too high…it should be around 3.81 and definately under 4.37 (which I believe is the type 2 diabetic cut off for fasted glucose). I dont know how long you were fasted for or if you were truly fasted (at least 12 hrs) but I would want a second fasted glucose test. Im curious because your fasted glucose is higher than your peak during GTT!?! That’s odd. The other numbers are all good which makes me believe the first number was a mistake. Your insulin responses were right on and actually a little lower than most so that means you probably have good insulin sensitivity. Except for the first fasted glucose number, all else is solid…

John, I’m ready to give the test a go! For the past month and a half, I’ve been using 200-600mg ALA per day. I’m curious what sort of effect this is having. My question is: Would stopping for a few days or a week be enough time to get an accurate non-ALA assisted reading? What would you suggest? Thanks. Midnight

Greetings all! I know that John Berardi is a busy guy…and as such hasn’t had the opportunity to post any messages to this forum over the last few days. Therefore, I am posting to this thread for the purpose of saving it from disappearing off the forum before he’s had a chance to respond. For those of you who may have missed it earlier, it’s a great thread! I’d encourage you to read and learn…and hopefully toss in your 2 cents. Thanks to everyone. Midnight

Finals are done!!! and im feeling good and back in the states on vacation for a week!!! Midnight, about the ALA thing, I would say you need a few weeks “washout” from any thermos or insulin sensitivity agents. As I said before, Im right now working on a protocol to determine insulin resistance index, sensitivity index, insulin release index, and a couple other parameters from the OGTT protocol above. So wait a while, do the OGTT and we can work out some #'s later. Cool?

You got it John. Just finishing a phase and working to maintain through the holidays…and if it takes a few weeks to “washout” then I’ll get you some data around mid Janurary. Also, if you get a chance, there is some info and two brief questions for you in the Carb Roundtable thread. Thanks and have a great vacation! Midnight