Insulin Index

A few questions about milk and the insulin index:

1. Are there any theories as to why milk places high on the Insulin Index? It’s placement on the glycemic index makes sense due to lactose being a disaccharide and needing to be broken down into two monosaccharides before being absorbed.

2. I milk is high on the insulin index, might also yogurt be high?

3. If milk raises insulin levels so high, wouldn’t milk be a great post-workout drink?

4. Does anyone know if the milk used in the insulin index studies was pasteurized and if so, would that affect the results?

Thanks.

Cant answer all your questions but yes, yogurt has a high II also and I for one use it in my PWO meals, I think others use yogurt/dairy in their’s too. As for the pasteurization and why such a high II, I think that is still up for grabs :slight_smile:

I can almost guarantee the milk was pasteurized. No researcher would dare to use raw milk nowadays. On the other hand, I found this on the www.realmilk.com website:

(extracted)
“About ten years [1920] ago a very sick man came to the Sanitarium suffering from a severe cystitis and nephritis. He was a diabetic. As milk contains about five percent milk sugar, it was feared that he could not manage this amount of sugar. But he did manage it, and improved in every way and in eight weeks was sugar free. My experience with milk diet in diabetes has been limited, but very interesting. These few patients, only seven or eight, have been much pleased with the results. Insulin was used for a time in some of the cases. They all became sugar free, or nearly so, after from four to ten weeks. From the fact that these patients were able to use a much more liberal diet than diabetics usually can take [after the treatment], it would seem to indicate that at least a partial regeneration of the pancreas is not impossible.”

So there’s anecdotal evidence from long ago that raw milk with all its enzymes intact might not be so bad.

That study is clearly for type II diabetics and believe me when I say that doesn’t apply to you :slight_smile: The reason milk “could” be beneficial (though I wouldn’t place money on it) is because in the earlier stages, the issue is insulin resistance and the body not producing enough to allow for the food, so with milk’s unproporition II to GI, it would theoritically cover some of the Glucose from other foods but… I doubt that little boost is going to help anyone.

Yes, insulin sensitivity can be improved and people with type II diabetes can become normal again (if they work on it early enough) but the article you whipped out… he keeps sayins “sugar free”, diabetics don’t become sugar free. I would be interested to know exactly what his “experience” with diabetics has been.