Insulin Index ?

Hey Guys! My friend is insulin resistant. Wanted to know if someone can give me a list of all the foods or post any websites on the insulin index.

bump

http://www.mendosa.com/insulin_index.htm

wanted to hear people’s reactions to this website…

http://www.nutritiondata.com/help/estimated-glycemic-load

this is my favorite, put in any food, and find it. Glycemic load is MUCH more important than glycemic index by the way. it will explain on the website.

I happen to like this website a little bit better

Anyone care to explain what’s so important about glycemic load/glycemic index again?

[quote]prospa7 wrote:
Anyone care to explain what’s so important about glycemic load/glycemic index again?[/quote]

it gives people something else to needlessly obsess over. that’s all, really.

that’s not true. in fact, that is so far from true it’s almost insulting, especially those who are diabetic. The “obsession” that someone may referring to is…the impact on blood glucose levels of a serving of a given food. So what this means is for example, when I eat a cup of blueberries, at what rate will my blood sugar be elevated from eating them? And you may ask, who cares? Well, for 3 different types of people, diabetics, overweight people, and weight lifters.

For diabetics, it is the MOST important, because they need to know what carb sources will elevate their blood sugar and what won’t. If blood sugar goes too high, or too low, then they can go into some form of shock (google diabetes for a better explanation) For overweight people, the carbs that have a high GL will raise your insulin, and tell your body to store them as fat. For weightlifters, it is good to know the GL of foods so you know which are the best sources for breakfast, peri-workout, or before bed, etc.

Okay, sorry for the long explanation, but essentially, knowing the glycemic load of a food is very important when choosing what carbs you eat.

[quote]JMoUCF87 wrote:
prospa7 wrote:
Anyone care to explain what’s so important about glycemic load/glycemic index again?

it gives people something else to needlessly obsess over. that’s all, really.[/quote]

agreed. It might have merit if you eat those foods alone, but once you start throwing protein and fats into it, things change.

i don’t think this means we can completely throw out the notion of the relationship between blood sugar, insulin, and fat storage/muscle gain.

i don’t think this means we can completely throw out the notion of the relationship between blood sugar, insulin, and fat storage/muscle gain.

agreed, 100%. understanding this relationship is not only important for hypertrophy and fat loss, but as general health, it’s extremely important to have a basic knowledge of.

[quote]dratner wrote:

agreed, 100%. understanding this relationship is not only important for hypertrophy and fat loss, but as general health, it’s extremely important to have a basic knowledge of.[/quote]

except that for most people on this board, their knowledge begins & ends with: “insulin iz bad an’ makes u fat so don’t eet carbz xcept after workin out, bro!”

[quote]JMoUCF87 wrote:
dratner wrote:

agreed, 100%. understanding this relationship is not only important for hypertrophy and fat loss, but as general health, it’s extremely important to have a basic knowledge of.

except that for most people on this board, their knowledge begins & ends with: “insulin iz bad an’ makes u fat so don’t eet carbz xcept after workin out, bro!”[/quote]

Why haven’t I ever seen one of these people? 90% of what people do nutrition wise is centered around insulin timing and it probably is the most important hormone for the natural muscle builder.

If you’re training hard enough consistently, insulin resistance hopefully won’t be a health concern. Unfortunately, eating a 2 pounds of carbs a day, everday, will catch up with almost anyone so no one should ever fully ignore it. Your fat and protein intake won’t save your ass either. Nobody is immune to diabetes.

[quote]theceka wrote:
JMoUCF87 wrote:
dratner wrote:

except that for most people on this board, their knowledge begins & ends with: “insulin iz bad an’ makes u fat so don’t eet carbz xcept after workin out, bro!”

Why haven’t I ever seen one of these people? 90% of what people do nutrition wise is centered around insulin timing and it probably is the most important hormone for the natural muscle builder.
[/quote]

Seen one of what people? 90% of what people do doesn’t matter. What matters is what actually gets results. Precise macronutrient timing won’t do shit if your calories aren’t where they need to be. And even then, it has a small, small impact.

[quote]theceka wrote:
If you’re training hard enough consistently, insulin resistance hopefully won’t be a health concern. Unfortunately, eating a 2 pounds of carbs a day, everday, will catch up with almost anyone so no one should ever fully ignore it. Your fat and protein intake won’t save your ass either. Nobody is immune to diabetes.
[/quote]

I don’t know anyone who’s advocating eating “2 pounds of carbs a day”. However, you shouldn’t avoid pasta like the plague either. No single food makes you fat, but a positive calorie surplus over time will. And all foods contain calories, regardless if they’re “clean” or “dirty”.

Finally, diabetes is caused by obesity, not carbohydrate intake per se. You can get diabetes by overeating fat just as you can get it overeating carbs. This is because cells become insulin resistant in response to the amount of bodyfat you carry around, not in response to how many carbs you eat.

Don’t want to get diabetes? Don’t get fat and exercise. Simple as that.

The thread was started FOR AN INSULIN RESISTANT individual try to keep the topic relevant to the situation at hand.

This is a published paper on the topic of the insulin index. it includes a table of foods tested and their subsequent index value. it was taken from this website:

http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/c/17/1615/insulin-index

Hope this helps with the Original topic of this thread.

[quote]JMoUCF87 wrote:
Seen one of what people? [/quote]

People who simply think “insulin iz bad”, which you say make up most of these boards.

Also, you don’t have to be obese to get type II diabetes. If you believe that being obese is a prerequisite to diabetes, you might want to study insulin resistance a bit more. Nobody -including people who exercise or bodybuilders- is immune. Doesn’t mean you need obsess over it. Doesn’t mean you need to ignore it.

Anyways, this is getting off the original topic, so I’m done.