Insulin Index vs. Glycemic Index

Thought I would seek some advice from fellow T-peeps.

What is the consensus on the Insulin Index. I would imagine eating sensibly and following the GI index should be good enough.

Gary

Interesting point. I mainly use the glycemic index to decide which carbs should go where and the two indices do tend to correlate quite closely most of the time. The only thing that i’ve changed since I became aware of the insulin index is the traditional cottage cheese before bedtime as dairy products have a mysteriously high insulin index.

The glycemic index is usually a good predictor of insulin response, but not always. That’s why you should also look at the insulin index. It actually measures the insulin response to food. Insulin response is not always correlated with the rate of carb absorption.

I know milk is one such food and I think dairy products in general. It promotes an insulin spike despite being low on the glycemic index. That’s why Berardi said that if you’re out of Surge, just drink skim milk PWO.

It is much easier to use the glycemic index as many foods have not yet been evaluated for the insulin index.

As an aside, my lab ran a study last year comparing skim milk to soy and a placebo as a post-workout beverage. Skim and soy came out on top.

Does anyone know of some good places to check for the insulin index of food? And does cottage cheese really have a high GI? I thought that even though it is dairy in that case it is pretty slow absorbing…

Just because it’s not a carb doesn’t mean it’s not gonna cause an insulin spike.Red meat is pretty high from what I’ve read.A lot of people make this mistake.There is plenty of information on this website about the glycemic index if you need help.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
The glycemic index is usually a good predictor of insulin response, but not always. That’s why you should also look at the insulin index. It actually measures the insulin response to food. Insulin response is not always correlated with the rate of carb absorption.

I know milk is one such food and I think dairy products in general. It promotes an insulin spike despite being low on the glycemic index. That’s why Berardi said that if you’re out of Surge, just drink skim milk PWO.[/quote]

I’ve never heard anything about skim milk causing insulin spikes before.I always mix some skim milk with my whey/casein shake before bed.Never gain weight from it.What is your opinion on that?