T Nation

Insulin Help

I’m a type 1 diabetic so don’t give me shit for using insulin. My question is this. If I am injecting insulin around my workout and taking carbs in, will this hault fat burning? The goal is fat loss.

Fat loss is all about metabolic balance. Thyroid is a very significant factor. You need to have good body temperatures that is supported by adequate iodine intake. See this sticky in the TRT forum: https://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_trt/thryroid_basics

[quote]Bieszki95 wrote:
I’m a type 1 diabetic so don’t give me shit for using insulin. My question is this. If I am injecting insulin around my workout and taking carbs in, will this hault fat burning? The goal is fat loss.[/quote]

No.

If you’re doing it right, you’re just replacing your pancreas release, and maybe, if know how to use your carbs with sup, your gonna get better pump and growth. Actually, releasing slin is the oposite for losing bf, u stop several mechanisms of fat burning.

As KSMan just said, you need to optimize your metabolism and eat properly.

But aren’t we shooting for hormonal effect when trying to lose body fat? If my peri-workout is on point and my insulin injections go hand in hand with what i’m consuming for that workout, wouldn’t fat oxidation be high? The goal is to drive cortisol levels down, hence the insulin injections. I’m still missing the point on this.

Heres what my peri nutrition looks like, along with how I take my insulin:

25g protein a half hour before gym - 1 unit of insulin

25g carb / 7g BCAA during the workout - 3 units of insulin

25g protein a half hour after the workout - No insulin

Followed after is a solid carb/protein meal about an hour later after shake.

Am I fucking up? Should I drop the carbs peri workout and forget about insulin injections PWO or does my regimine look fine? THE GOAL IS FAT LOSS.

I am also a Type 1 diabetic. May I ask what type of training you are talking about here. Are we talking bodybuilding style weight training? If so, you won’t be burning fat while you are doing it anyway and I think you are on the right track with insulin in your system during the session along with adequate carbohydrate. Fuel the session and recover and let the diet for the rest of the day dictate fat loss. Now, if we are talking a pure cardio session this is a different story and you would best be served with out the insulin. This of course would need to take in to consideration your basal. Do you pump or MDI? Different courses for each on how to handle SS cardio.

I am actually extremely interested in how other Type 1’s handle their nutrition and training and would love to hear more of exactly what you are doing. How much do you weigh and how much weight are you trying to lose? What was your last A1C? How long have you been training? There is so much to consider…