T Nation

Insulin, GH, Sleep, Mindf**k?

I hear people’s lifting theories all day. I can dismiss most of them.
I had a sixty year old guy today explaining to me that apparently if you’re taking something for GH (PowerFULL or whatever by USP, etc) you take it on an empty stomach before bed because insulin rises negate GH, and GH is secreted most while you’re asleep or something. Now, for those of us who don’t use a GH boost or anything like that the same applies - you apparently (according to this dude) handicap yourself by taking casein or anything like that before bed because you raise your insulin, and keep it elevated while you sleep - so even though you’re fed, your GH is greatly sub-optimal.

Is this guy onto something? Exaggerating the effects? Or is casein/anything slow-digesting before bed a bad idea?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I don’t eat prior to bed, but for other reasons. Whenever I’m having food before hitting the horizontal, it negatively affects my sleep quality. (I feel tired in the morning, whereas if I don’t consume solid food cca. 1.5-2 hours prior to bed, I’m always energized and good to go)

Starving yourself will also increase GH release. Just saying…

[quote]CapnYousef wrote:
…if you’re taking something for GH (PowerFULL or whatever by USP, etc)…[/quote]

I wouldn’t waste my money on that shit.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
In certain circumstances, insulin may blunt GH release, whilst in others, it may slightly enhance it.

For example, glucose/simple sugars taken during exercise will affect GH release, post exercise.

However, the effects on GH are small, so you are not going to significantly effect your night-time GH spikes by having some foot before bed.

Besides, most food will be digested with in 2 hours and it’s going to take at least that long before you achieve your GH release sleep phase I think.

But as an aside, yes, caesin can be ‘bad’, because the gel-like plug it forms in your intestines inhibits proper absorbtion of other nutrients, resulting in a case of obstructive diarhea and a very loose morning stool.

BBB[/quote]

thread Jack
quick question

i just started a modified V-Diet jus for this week having one meal a day and the rest shakes, mainly ON Caesin (due to its slow digestion and longer “full” feeling) so is that a bad idea because of what you mentioned in reference to its affect on the intestines? todays my first day and i havent really noticed and “quick” trips to BR post eating so im jus curious… THX bro

[quote]Rational Gaze wrote:

[quote]CapnYousef wrote:
…if you’re taking something for GH (PowerFULL or whatever by USP, etc)…[/quote]

I wouldn’t waste my money on that shit.[/quote]

I wouldn’t assume someone referencing GH boosters in general to be wasting their money on that shit when they’re using it as an example?

In certain circumstances, insulin may blunt GH release, whilst in others, it may slightly enhance it.

For example, glucose/simple sugars taken during exercise will affect GH release, post exercise.

However, the effects on GH are small, so you are not going to significantly effect your night-time GH spikes by having some foot before bed.

Besides, most food will be digested with in 2 hours and it’s going to take at least that long before you achieve your GH release sleep phase I think.

But as an aside, yes, caesin can be ‘bad’, because the gel-like plug it forms in your intestines inhibits proper absorbtion of other nutrients, resulting in a case of obstructive diarhea and a very loose morning stool.

BBB[/quote]

I have a kind of gay-love of casein before bed, and I haven’t noticed shitty sleep from it (then again, I haven’t slept much for the last 3 weeks anyway). What nutrients would one be blocking if the took casein before bed, assuming they hadn’t eaten much prior to that? Just curious if the pros outweigh the cons in my case

[quote]Vejne wrote:
I don’t eat prior to bed, but for other reasons. Whenever I’m having food before hitting the horizontal, it negatively affects my sleep quality. (I feel tired in the morning, whereas if I don’t consume solid food cca. 1.5-2 hours prior to bed, I’m always energized and good to go)[/quote]

I also feel awesome if I stop eating 3 or 4 hrs before bed especially sugary food or grains. If I do eat before bed I don’t have the mental focus and I’m usually in a worse mood than if I don’t. My two cents

[quote]CapnYousef wrote:

BBB[/quote]

I have a kind of gay-love of casein before bed, and I haven’t noticed shitty sleep from it (then again, I haven’t slept much for the last 3 weeks anyway). What nutrients would one be blocking if the took casein before bed, assuming they hadn’t eaten much prior to that? Just curious if the pros outweigh the cons in my case[/quote]

If you wake up in the middle of the night, after taking pre-bed casein, with a distended abdomen where there was none before. If your first crap of the day is a little rock of hard stuff, followed by a trickle, squirt or flow of brownish goo, then caesin is not for you.

Those are the symptoms I had. However if you get on fine with casein, then keep taking it, by all means.

BBB[/quote]

I have normal solid stool lol, thankfully no GI distress or “squirts” as you put it. No bloated feeling ever, I just feel satisfied - idk, I guess I just take it well and I’m glad it won’t dick around with my GH levels. I figured that guy was a crackpot, but just double checking. Thanks BBB