Insulin=Energy?

Does a spike in insulin cause a spike in energy?

I’m wondering because since I’ve been doing 20 rep squats, I’ve been drinking an assload of milk. Sometimes finishing up the gallon right before I go to bed. I’ve noticed on the nights I drink a significant amount of milk right before I go to bed, I have trouble falling asleep.

Could the insulin spike from milk (or anything else, for that matter) cause one to have trouble falling asleep?

Insulin is normally associated with sleepyness.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

I’m wondering because since I’ve been doing 20 rep squats, I’ve been drinking an assload of milk. Sometimes finishing up the gallon right before I go to bed. I’ve noticed on the nights I drink a significant amount of milk right before I go to bed, I have trouble falling asleep.

Could the insulin spike from milk (or anything else, for that matter) cause one to have trouble falling asleep?[/quote]

What sort of milk, skimmed or whole milk or what ?

Was the trouble falling asleep having to keep getting up for a slash ?

[quote]Dr Stig wrote:
What sort of milk, skimmed or whole milk or what ?

Was the trouble falling asleep having to keep getting up for a slash ?[/quote]

Whole milk, hood brand if that matters.

No. I mean, yeah I do have to get up in the middle of the night to take a leak, or just sprint to the bathroom in the morning. But its not just that. I just have trouble falling asleep.

Drink your milk warm. Worked for me when I was a kid.

Seriously though I don’t think an insulin spike by itself should have any effect on sleeping, depending on what caused the spike of course. Is it possible that maybe your stomach is just too full to “let you” calm down and go to sleep? I know that sounds weird, but I have trouble sleeping on a full stomach just in general.

I would suggest ZMA (although you likely are aware of it) but it won’t help you much given the amount of dairy you drink at bedtime.

Try not drinking milk for a few days in a row, don’t change anything else, and see if that helps.

Do you do your 20 rep heavy squats in the evening? Then it’s not the milk causing it. Most likely it’s just your body getting used to the change in exercise intensity. Especially after heavy lower body workouts, those larger muscles seem to have a greater overall effect on your body anyway.

Pretty soon you’ll adapt and be sleeping like a baby. Just don’t pee the bed.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

Could the insulin spike from milk (or anything else, for that matter) cause one to have trouble falling asleep?[/quote]

Food = energy

Energy = trouble sleeping

Insulin only matters in that it makes energy (i.e. glucose) available to the cells.

So, yes.

[quote]Angelbutt wrote:
Food = energy

Energy = trouble sleeping

Insulin only matters in that it makes energy (i.e. glucose) available to the cells.

So, yes.

[/quote]

exactly on the food = energy cant really see it always as a cause for trouble sleeping hell it can oput you to sleep.

Insulin is a Vehicle for energy.

Now a HUGE carb up of cra[ yhea it causes me to lose sleep sweat etc.the giant thermic effect of food body worikng like crazy to digest etc. But a meal No