T Nation

Insulin, Cortisol and Growth Hormone

Why is it that the more insulin you have, the less growth hormone your body will produce? Is it because the more insulin your body produce the lower the insulin-like growth factor levels?

Also, how are growth hormone levels able to increase if during fasting your body has increased levels of cortisol. From what I understand about cortisol is that it increases blood sugar levels and that the hormone becomes elevated during periods of severe caloric restriction and/or starvation. However, from what I’ve read about growth hormone is that growth hormone levels increases during periods of low blood sugar. This doesn’t make sense to me.

[quote]Bull_Scientist wrote:
Why is it that the more insulin you have, the less growth hormone your body will produce? Is it because the more insulin your body produce the lower the insulin-like growth factor levels?

Also, how are growth hormone levels able to increase if during fasting your body has increased levels of cortisol. From what I understand about cortisol is that it increases blood sugar levels and that the hormone becomes elevated during periods of severe caloric restriction and/or starvation. However, from what I’ve read about growth hormone is that growth hormone levels increases during periods of low blood sugar. This doesn’t make sense to me. [/quote]
Insulin lower blood sugar when it is too high
Cortisol, adrenaline and growth hormone raise blood sugar when it is too low. (Very simply put)

You do the math.

Hormones and insulin don’t like each other, so when one is out to play the other doesn’t come out.

ps: I’m not making this up. I saw it on youtube somewhere

Pondering this stuff leads to further gains.