T Nation

Insulin, Blood Glucos,e and Protein

I have some questions that I’m sure have been discussed before here but i cant seem to find what im looking for with the search function… so here they go…

What kind of insulin effect does whey protein have? i assume since it digests quickly that there is some sort of insulin effect… or how about bcaa those digest even faster so is there more of insulin effect with those?

Also, in regards to digestion rate… lets say if you mix some whey protein and casein protein half and half when you drink that do they sort of blend together for a protein that digests at a moderate speed, or does the body digest the whey first, quickly, and the casein next, slowly?

And im wondering is that the same with everything you eat?.. if you were to eat a fast digesting carb with a slower digesting carb… like say putting some sugar and honey on your oatmeal or something? does the body process the sugar and the honey first, quickly… and then the oatmeal next at its slower rate…

Thanks for any replys

In general protein does not cause an insulin response, unless it is coupled with carbohydrate.

Edit Whey protein is insulinogenic, just like the BCAA Leucine. Some amino acids produce an insulin response to facilitate their use in the body.

With BCAAs Leucine is an exception. It has quite a profound effect on insulin secretion.

Whey protein digests quickly releasing alot of amino acids over a short period of time. Casien is a slow digesting protein which has a slower digestion rate and slower stream of amino acids. Whey protein is rather anabolic, in that it speeds protein synthesis, whilst casein has a lesser effect but is very anticatabolic. Use casein prebed, or before any time where you will not be eating frequently enough.

The glycemic index of a meal can change when mixing carbohydrates togtether. Ususally fiber has the greatest effect. With your honey and oatmeal example, some of the sugars/honey would be absorbed immediately, but some would be trapped with the oatmeal as it was churned and digested slowing the rate of absorption of the simple sugars, the rise in blood sugar, and consequently the insulin response.