Insulin and Bodybuilding

I wanted to know if the insulin spike post workout is in fact true? From what I read, Insulin can act as an anabolic hormone but can also be catabolic. Is the reason for keeping insulin levels steady for carb cycling the reason behind this? Any info on Insulin and Bodybuilding would be helpful

Please explain in what ways insulin is “catabolic”. Insulin is the most important hormone in your body if you want big muscles. Learning to work with it without allowing it to also make you fat as hell is where the problem lies.

You need a BIOLOGY BOOK…not random lost info from random uneducated guys on the internet. Learn what insulin actually is and what it does…then you can start making extreme blanket statements about complex chemical pathways.

Insulin is the most important hormone for building muscle?

ORLY?!

They should change the name of this site to I-Nation.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

ORLY?!

They should change the name of this site to I-Nation.[/quote]
lol

ORLY?!

It’s a pretty common statement, and it’s a very anabolic hormone. And while I won’t pretend I have any idea what today’s pros are injecting, they are a fuckload bigger than when only testosterone was available.

ORLY?!

You could argue insulin is the most important hormone for building muscle. With zero insulin you have zero protein synthesis translated to muscle growth.

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

ORLY?!

You could argue insulin is the most important hormone for building muscle. With zero insulin you have zero protein synthesis translated to muscle growth.[/quote]

not to mention zero life lol

All hormones (in balance) are important. With any imbalance, you would likely have a difficult time putting on or maintaining muscle mass. It’s too simplistic to say that one hormone is the be all or end all.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

ORLY?!

You could argue insulin is the most important hormone for building muscle. With zero insulin you have zero protein synthesis translated to muscle growth.[/quote]

not to mention zero life lol[/quote]

Lol, a bit simplistic I guess. I was more or less thinking along the lines of when type 1 diabetics stop producing adequate insulin their ability to generate new muscle or retain muscle plummets. Even though they may have adequate testosterone levels.

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:
All hormones (in balance) are important. With any imbalance, you would likely have a difficult time putting on or maintaining muscle mass. It’s too simplistic to say that one hormone is the be all or end all. [/quote]

of course, but some hormones are more anabolic than others.

Talking about the importance of one hormone over the others for building muscle is missing the forest for the trees.

They all work together with each other like a series of feedback mechanisms.

Talking about the importance of one hormone over the others for building muscle is missing the forest for the trees.

[/quote]

Well of course you need all hormones to work together to retain a relative homeostasis. But discussing the amount of anabolic properties of specific hormones is definitely a legitimate topic.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:
All hormones (in balance) are important. With any imbalance, you would likely have a difficult time putting on or maintaining muscle mass. It’s too simplistic to say that one hormone is the be all or end all. [/quote]

of course, but some hormones are more anabolic than others.

[/quote]

Correct however if hormones are not all optimally functioning, certain people will have issues with difficulty building/maintaining muscle and in some cases, atrophy. Say, for example, someone that has a pituitary gland removed. I’m not trying to hijack here and go on a tangent, just saying that there is a bigger picture that needs to be looked at than just glorifying one hormone.

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

[/quote]

Well of course you need all hormones to work together to retain a relative homeostasis. But discussing the amount of anabolic properties of specific hormones is definitely a legitimate topic.[/quote]

Yes, this.

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

[/quote]

Well of course you need all hormones to work together to retain a relative homeostasis. But discussing the amount of anabolic properties of specific hormones is definitely a legitimate topic.[/quote]

Ok, great. Taking protein into the muscle is an anabolic process but now that the protein is there, now what?

Is the anabolic process done?

Insulin serves only one process in anabolism.

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

[/quote]

Ok, great. Taking protein into the muscle is an anabolic process but now that the protein is there, now what?

Insulin serves only one process in anabolism.[/quote]

??

Without insulin, testosterone wouldn’t be promoting much anabolism. It is what sends nutrients into storage, including muscle tissue (glycogen). I am not really sure why I have to explain it like that on a site like this. This is common knowledge. You tried to make a joke. It landed flat. That’s what happened.

Also…lol @ this.

Try spending some time brushing up on just how important that hormone is to a bodybuilder.

Insulin is an important topic because you can manipulate it easily through carb intake, and it impacts both muscle and fat growth. I’d say its the most important for this reason, unless you are willing to take drugs to boost T-levels. In other words, you have the most natural control over insulin, even though all your hormones are obviously important. I know you can increase T-levels through hard work and diet, but not in the same way insulin levels can vary from hour to hour based solely on what you eat.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

[/quote]

??

Without insulin, testosterone wouldn’t be promoting much anabolism. It is what sends nutrients into storage, including muscle tissue (glycogen). I am not really sure why I have to explain it like that on a site like this. This is common knowledge. You tried to make a joke. It landed flat. That’s what happened.[/quote]

x2… I think the overall message of what others have said is true, it’s just not correct, though of course vitally important.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

[/quote]

??

Without insulin, testosterone wouldn’t be promoting much anabolism. It is what sends nutrients into storage, including muscle tissue (glycogen). I am not really sure why I have to explain it like that on a site like this. This is common knowledge. You tried to make a joke. It landed flat. That’s what happened.[/quote]

Like trying to say eggs are the most important ingredient in a cake.

You made a simplistic statement about a complex process.

I called you out on it.

That’s what happened.