Inspiring Message

My mom gave me a copy of this when I was around eighteen or nineteen and I found it to be very helpful at times for me to go over. I hadn’t seen it in years and then awhile back I found it in some old paperwork and put it up at my station at work. Maybe others who haven’t seen it before will like it as well. I still have to remind myself of the message and attempt to put it into action.

Desiderata:

Go Placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons then yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less then the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive God to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be careful. Strive to be happy!

Found in old Saint Paul's Church, Baltimore..

Excellent!
Definitely something to ponder.

-daMOJO-

[quote]Elkhntr1 wrote:
My mom gave me a copy of this when I was around eighteen or nineteen and I found it to be very helpful at times for me to go over. I hadn’t seen it in years and then awhile back I found it in some old paperwork and put it up at my station at work. Maybe others who haven’t seen it before will like it as well. I still have to remind myself of the message and attempt to put it into action.

Desiderata:

Go Placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons then yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less then the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive God to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be careful. Strive to be happy!

Found in old Saint Paul's Church, Baltimore..[/quote]

I like that Elk! It speaks loud and says a lot when put into persective towards life! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for posting this; it’s one of my favorite messages.

I remember cutting it out of a skating magazine (or skiing, I can’t remember), back in high school.

Funny, I’ve since lost the piece of paper, but the message is still fresh.

Great post.

Here’s another inspiring message that I like:

A grandson told of his anger at a schoolmate who had done him an injustice. Grandfather said: “Let me tell you a story.” "I, too, have felt a great hate for those that have taken so much, with no sorrow for what they do. But, hate wears you down and does not hurt your enemy. It is like taking poison and wishing your enemy would die.

I have struggled with these feelings many times. It is as if there are two wolves inside me: one is good and does no harm. He lives in harmony with all around him and does not take offense when no offense was intended. He will only fight when it is right to do so, and in the right way. But the other wolf is full of anger. The littlest thing will set him into a fit of temper. He fights with everyone, all the time, for no reason. He cannot think because his anger and hate are so great. It is hard to live with these two wolves inside me, for both of them try to dominate my spirit."

The boy looked intently into his grandfather’s eyes and asked, “Which one wins, Grandfather?” The grandfather solemnly replied, “The one I feed.”

[quote]pookie wrote:
Great post.

Here’s another inspiring message that I like:

A grandson told of his anger at a schoolmate who had done him an injustice. Grandfather said: “Let me tell you a story.” "I, too, have felt a great hate for those that have taken so much, with no sorrow for what they do. But, hate wears you down and does not hurt your enemy. It is like taking poison and wishing your enemy would die.

I have struggled with these feelings many times. It is as if there are two wolves inside me: one is good and does no harm. He lives in harmony with all around him and does not take offense when no offense was intended. He will only fight when it is right to do so, and in the right way. But the other wolf is full of anger. The littlest thing will set him into a fit of temper. He fights with everyone, all the time, for no reason. He cannot think because his anger and hate are so great. It is hard to live with these two wolves inside me, for both of them try to dominate my spirit."

The boy looked intently into his grandfather’s eyes and asked, “Which one wins, Grandfather?” The grandfather solemnly replied, “The one I feed.”

[/quote]

I have heard that one as well and really like it. It took me awhile in my youth to learn that hate really poisons your own soul and does nothing to the object of your hate so, it’s better to let it go.