Insomnia Problems

Lately I’ve had a serious problem getting to sleep and it’s starting to become worrisome. I’ve been going to bed at midnight with the intent of getting up around 8 o’clock but instead I wind up laying in bed asleep until four or five in the morning and then I get up at 2 in the afternoon.

Obviously, this sucks. Tonight I got all the lights off, put on my sleep mask, took 1mg of melatonin, drank some chamomile tea and went off to bed at 12:05. I layed in bed for about three hours before I said fuck it and now I’m just going to stay up and hopefully I’ll be tired enough to fall asleep at a reasonable time tonight.

No real point to this post other than to vent, and possibly explain some of my posts at the wee hours. I suppose I would take advice, but I’m hopefully I’ll get this resolved tonight anyway.

I gotta be to work in 5hours… definite sleep fail…

[quote]conorh wrote:
Lately I’ve had a serious problem getting to sleep and it’s starting to become worrisome. I’ve been going to bed at midnight with the intent of getting up around 8 o’clock but instead I wind up laying in bed asleep until four or five in the morning and then I get up at 2 in the afternoon.

Obviously, this sucks. Tonight I got all the lights off, put on my sleep mask, took 1mg of melatonin, drank some chamomile tea and went off to bed at 12:05. I layed in bed for about three hours before I said fuck it and now I’m just going to stay up and hopefully I’ll be tired enough to fall asleep at a reasonable time tonight.

No real point to this post other than to vent, and possibly explain some of my posts at the wee hours. I suppose I would take advice, but I’m hopefully I’ll get this resolved tonight anyway.[/quote]

Laying in bed trying to get to sleep rarely works. The longer it takes, the more pissed off you get, your brain doesn’t shut off because you are pissed off, and you end up lying there for hours. There are lots of “sleep hygiene” strategies (no coffee or booze prior to bed, regular schedule to bed and rise even if you don’t get to sleep, blacked out room, etc.). I see you are doing some of those so that’s cool.

I recommend getting up after 20 minutes or so if you can’t get to sleep. Read a book (fiction) for a few minutes and give it another go. Don’t surf the web. It will just excite your brain. Get up again if necessary.

Eventually, you should be able to train your brain to get into the rhythm of sleep again.

I had this problem a while back. My counselor said to get up at the same time every morning, no matter what time you go to bed. Worked fine. I was tired for a couple days and eventually started falling asleep at a proper time.

My problem is I really hate going to bed, but that’s something else totally.

[quote]sluicy wrote:
I had this problem a while back. My counselor said to get up at the same time every morning, no matter what time you go to bed. Worked fine. I was tired for a couple days and eventually started falling asleep at a proper time.

My problem is I really hate going to bed, but that’s something else totally. [/quote]

That’s because the zit monster’s lurking under your bed.

No need to thank me for the warning.

Masterbate.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
sluicy wrote:

[/quote]

You aren’t going to let that go, are you?!

1mg melatonin does almost nothing for me. Try 3mg about 30 minutes before you intend to fall asleep. I also take 750mg GABA as well.

On a side note, I was originally using 1mg melatonin pills. When I bought a fresh bottle, the pills were 3mg, but I forgot or didn’t think about this, and took three, like I had been taking, so 9mg total. That night I had the most vivid, weird, intense dreams of my life. Interestingly, too, I felt pretty much fine the next morning.

[quote]sluicy wrote:
imhungry wrote:
sluicy wrote:

You aren’t going to let that go, are you?! [/quote]

It’s getting old, huh?

Fine… I’ll stop. I don’t want to, but I will. Maybe.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Masterbate.[/quote]

this plus a big meal protein+veggies,big glass of water, ZMA and melatonin before bed helps me sleep like a baby. I give it two thumbs up

…and cough syrup

Calm the hell down.

Seriously, relax before you hit the hay.

Don’t do anything in bed but sleep make it a place you associate with counting sheep (no TV, etc).

Well, I wound up staying up till 12:30, had an hour nap and then trained at 2pm. After training I had a buffet for dinner and went to bed at 9pm, no problem. Yay for me.

To one of the above, I don’t think I need a larger dose, I think a lot of people use too much. If 3mg works for you, more power to you, but I like my 300mgc tabs. Also, GABA makes me feel terrible. I can’t sleep for shit if I take it, it feels like a powerful stimulant. I’ve used it before workouts even. I must have some fucked up brain chemistry.