Insight on Dog Breeds (Dog Owners)

Don’t rely on what you may read about breeds as far as temperament, behavior, working ability, etc., as there is what the dog was originally bred for, the standard and qualities that reputable/true breeders strive to maintain and even improve upon, and then there is what the show breeder/breed destroyer breeds for.

For some reason Americans have this need to make all dog breeds conform to the same standards of behavior and temperament (which is some teddy bear/lap dog/accessory standard). You have dog shows where a poodle will be competing against a rottweiler. How can some judge say which dog is the better dog? Breeds should measured within their breeds.

It’s the same with hunting dogs. A judge will watch them prance around, feel them, look in their mouths and then declare the winner. The most important thing is ignored, that is, can the dog hunt.

But again for some reason, and I think it is an American thing, we want the look but not the work. The work being the work an owner needs to put in to keep the dog happy and sane. It’s no surprise as most people don’t even take the time to exercise themselves so how can they be expected to devote an hour, or more, a day to their dogs. So the breeders just take a working breed that is energetic by nature, because it is a working dog after all, and breed for low energy and what they call calm (but really it is mentally weak) temperament. A true working dog should be willing to escalate his response to danger as the danger escalates. The more resistance they get the more they fight. These pussified dogs that you find here will simply shut down when they get pushed.

I sometimes go on rottweiler forums and it’s sad. People will brag about not just how their dogs are gentle and calm but how they are wimps who will actually shy away from strangers. They will pretty much admit that they have their doubts about how willing their dogs would be to protect them but, and this is the crazy part, they are happy with that as they think the dog’s look and presence alone will act as a deterrent. These people should not have become rottweiler owners as they didn’t want a rottweiler but a dog that just looks like a rottweiler. The show breeders (for any working breed) are IMO scumbags but again, in America breeders are not held to the same standards as breeders in Germany, for example.

Anyway, the point is don’t assume that whatever breed you choose the breeder is actually breeding it to the standards you expect that breed to conform to. German Shepherds are great dogs and there is a reason why police and military around the world use them but that doesn’t mean every breeder is breeding “real” GSDs. That’s why you have so many of them with health and behavioral issues like fear biting.

I was talking with a friend the other day about their Newfoundlander which is just over three years old. Between the urinary tract problems which these breeds almost all have and the bum hip they have spent aproxx ten thousand dollars on vet bills.

This is whats stopping me from getting another dog. That and the heartbreak when it’s time to put them down.

I had a German Shorthaired Pointer but had to put her down because of a intestine blockage. Only time she ever got sick in ten years. The vet said that breeds that have a large chest that funnels into a small stomach are succeptible to this problem. These dogs are all motor all the time and very easy to teach basic commands. Great all around dog.

To echo what others have said, the less you excersize them the more shit they cause around the house.

Fuck I miss that dog.

[quote]Teledin wrote:
Thanks.

I have to side with Fletch and say my blue heeler is also very calm and loving. Never really was hyper like others of the same breed. Old, grumpy little guy now (13 yo) but still has his moments. lol

Should have mentioned this, but I’ll probably get the dog from an animal shelter at this stage unless I seriously can not find a dog with the right personality. I’m quite critical as a lot of people don’t raise their pets correctly i.e. neglecting fundamental training, not enough exercise, letting the dog run the family, etc. and the $$$ factor will be a big deal as I’m not willing to pay top dollar for a specific breed.

lol @ the presa canario … not sure how well that will go down with the local council here.[/quote]

Yours is the same age as mine. And my dad got her from a shelter. She did have quite a bit of energy and got into some mischief when she was younger but nothing all that bad. She has aged really well. I wonder if its just her or the breed.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
No offense to anyone, but screw paying for a dog. There are a million good dogs out there in need of a home. We got one of our dogs at a yard sale and the other I found under a vehicle at work.[/quote]

I understand this sentiment but rescue dogs can be some of the most traumatized and hard-to-train dogs you can ever own. ESPECIALLY dogs that came from abusive homes… have fun training those dogs… or having them trust you.

First-time dog owners should probably not get a rescue dog. A puppy you find walking around town without a collar? Ok, sure, it’s probably young enough nothing too traumatizing has happened to it yet… but a 2 or 3 year old rescue dog? No thanks. I have seen too many relatives struggle with their rescue dogs… even after being experienced dog owners.

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
No offense to anyone, but screw paying for a dog. There are a million good dogs out there in need of a home. We got one of our dogs at a yard sale and the other I found under a vehicle at work.[/quote]

I understand this sentiment but rescue dogs can be some of the most traumatized and hard-to-train dogs you can ever own. ESPECIALLY dogs that came from abusive homes… have fun training those dogs… or having them trust you.

First-time dog owners should probably not get a rescue dog. A puppy you find walking around town without a collar? Ok, sure, it’s probably young enough nothing too traumatizing has happened to it yet… but a 2 or 3 year old rescue dog? No thanks. I have seen too many relatives struggle with their rescue dogs… even after being experienced dog owners.[/quote]

I will say that the 3 dogs I’ve taken in have all been puppies (though my parents pit was one they found full grown as well as their other mutt). But if that’s how you feel, find a puppy.

Paying someone to purposely breed a dog just doesn’t make sense to me. It would be like paying a Chinese couple to purposely get pregnant and let you adopt the child while ignoring the million Chinese babies up for adoption.

My wife really wanted a whippet, but I managed to talk her into the blue healer mix. She is one of the best dogs I’ve ever had. And my wife wouldn’t trade her for 20 whippets. And if we hadn’t taken her, she’d probably be dead by now.

I honestly think breeding dogs is just a selfish thing to do.

Regarding adopting dogs from a shelter…If it is a fully grown dog and not a puppy is it possible to determine their temperment and behaviour on the spot?

[quote]law8 wrote:
Regarding adopting dogs from a shelter…If it is a fully grown dog and not a puppy is it possible to determine their temperment and behaviour on the spot? [/quote]
Maybe

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]law8 wrote:
Regarding adopting dogs from a shelter…If it is a fully grown dog and not a puppy is it possible to determine their temperment and behaviour on the spot? [/quote]
Maybe[/quote]

What breed is your mom, Derek? She’s really good around strangers and other dogs.

[quote]Teledin wrote:
Looking at getting a pet soon as I miss the companionship from my blue heeler mix after moving out of home a number of months back.

The breeds I’m looking at currently range from cattle dogs & pitbulls, etc. to the larger breeds such as rottweiler, german shepherd, rhodesian ridgeback, mastiff, etc. as a well trained adult.

Anyone here able to share their experience with the above mentioned breeds, or any similar breed? I’m particularly interested in traits and temperaments outside of what is considered ‘generalised’ in the breed. Upkeep is also a marginal factor. I’m planning on letting the dog sleep inside as I did with my blue heeler.

Exercise won’t be an issue as I have time for daily walks/play.

Thanks.[/quote]

German short haired pointer.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I will say that the 3 dogs I’ve taken in have all been puppies (though my parents pit was one they found full grown as well as their other mutt). But if that’s how you feel, find a puppy.

Paying someone to purposely breed a dog just doesn’t make sense to me. It would be like paying a Chinese couple to purposely get pregnant and let you adopt the child while ignoring the million Chinese babies up for adoption.

My wife really wanted a whippet, but I managed to talk her into the blue healer mix. She is one of the best dogs I’ve ever had. And my wife wouldn’t trade her for 20 whippets. And if we hadn’t taken her, she’d probably be dead by now.

I honestly think breeding dogs is just a selfish thing to do.[/quote]

I actually agree with everything you just said, haha. And she’s a beautiful dog, by the way.

Was she the one you found under a car/truck?

Just putting in a good word for Maltese…carry on…

I bought the missus a King Charles Cavalier for xmas. Not a very masculine little dog but god damn she is SO CUTE. Doesn’t bark or anything either

An English Mastiff is a great dog.

Fuck the lunatics that are advocating the Tibetan Mastiff as a pet. Do people even look at breed standards? The dog was one of the very few breeds that were specifically bred to increase human aggression.

Even your pitbulls love them or hate them were only bred to increase animal aggression.

[quote]Karado wrote:
Both the Spanish “Presa Canario”, or the Italian “Cane Corso” eat Dobermans
and PitBulls for Breakfast.
Euro Latin Dogs rule…heh.

Here’s a Presa…

[/quote]

The video i posted was shit, but the dog is called a Caucasian ovcharka

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

I honestly think breeding dogs is just a selfish thing to do.[/quote]

I actually agree with everything you just said, haha. And she’s a beautiful dog, by the way.

Was she the one you found under a car/truck?[/quote]

No, we got her free from a yard sale. Covered in fleas and ticks, no shots or vaccinations, carrying 3 different kinds of worms, and with mange. For us to have bought a dog would have been to leave her to that life.

[quote]law8 wrote:

Not definitively.

You can get a pretty good idea of how an adult dog was raised just by being around it for a few minutes. Some dogs have traits that change with their confidence level though.

For a puppy I think you can get a more accurate idea of how it will be as it grows into an adult. For example the blue heeler my parents have was the quietest most subdued as a pup of his litter of three. When we picked him up his two brothers were jumping around us, trying to get attention while our blue heeler just sat in the corner and was chill. All were very much the same as they grew older despite their level of training.

if I decide to get a big breed again I want an Anatolian Shepherd. I know a few breeders and the dogs are magnificent. very smart and friendly as they have been socialized properly. they also have a longer life span than most other large breeds. I’ve seen several over 12 yrs old. just a stock photo to give an idea of the size of an adult

Big dogs > small “dogs”.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Big dogs > small “dogs”. [/quote]

naaaa!

I fucking love little cute dogs. Especially with a squishy or sad looking face.