Insight on Dog Breeds (Dog Owners)

Looking at getting a pet soon as I miss the companionship from my blue heeler mix after moving out of home a number of months back.

The breeds I’m looking at currently range from cattle dogs & pitbulls, etc. to the larger breeds such as rottweiler, german shepherd, rhodesian ridgeback, mastiff, etc. as a well trained adult.

Anyone here able to share their experience with the above mentioned breeds, or any similar breed? I’m particularly interested in traits and temperaments outside of what is considered ‘generalised’ in the breed. Upkeep is also a marginal factor. I’m planning on letting the dog sleep inside as I did with my blue heeler.

Exercise won’t be an issue as I have time for daily walks/play.

Thanks.

Cattle dogs are smart and need a bunch of stimulation. We have a blue healer mix. Tons of energy and really smart, but she can be destructive without lots of exercise and attention. She also can get nippy when people she doesn’t know come into the yard. She’ll try to herd them out of the yard by nipping at the back of your legs.

Ironically, she’s also scared of cows.

You have to remember working breads are bread to have jobs. Without jobs they can be neurotic.

My parents have a pit that is the dumbest, most loving, and most cowardly dog I’ve ever met.

My mom use to run a Daycare centre.

When we took the kids for a walk in the park our Border Collie would try to heard any child that left the trail back onto the trail. This is without any training. Just totally instinctual.

She would get destructive if not keept occupied. I would only one if you have multiple hours/day to work with it. Like they above poster said - they were bred to work and really should. Without it they are “lost”.

Lots of stuff online on that issue…Get one from a legit Breeder with a good references and
Integrity even if you have drive out of State to get one…Are you willing to do that if
need be to get a Dog of real quality?
Think about it.

Your other option is to do what most people do and choose one from “Petland” or something.
Oh yeah, these pet shops will tell you they get their dogs from good breeders, but no self-respecting
Breeder will never EVER sell their Dogs to a fuckin’ pet shop.

Just from my own experience, it is tough to go from a Blue Heeler to almost any other breed, they are just incredibly smart and catch on faster than I’ve ever seen other dogs do. Good luck man

I’ve owned three pit bulls. Actually, one was an American Staffordshire terrier, but they’re practically the same dog.

I highly recommend them, but only if you are going to spend the money to get one from a reputable breeder who breeds specifically for temperament and not looks. A pitbull should be courageous, intelligent, very willing to please humans (especially its owner), it should not be shy around strangers, nor should it ever exhibit aggression toward people in general (unless that person represents an overt threat), and it should have a very high energy level.

I’m very wary of pitbulls that exhibit any sort of aggression or shyness toward people. Aggression toward other dogs probably isn’t preferential, but the fact is that that isn’t a sign of poor breeding. They’re supposed to be aggressive to a certain extent toward other animals. You can curtail this to a large extent by socializing it with other dogs of all types and sizes early and often. Unless it’s the runt of the litter or something like that, it shouldn’t take shit from other dogs who try to punk it, though. It shouldn’t necessarily be trying to punk every other dog if you keep it well-socialized, but it’s a bad sign if it acquiesces easily to challenges.

Which is why these dogs require a firm hand and an owner who doesn’t let it get away with a whole lot. Because they are very smart, very mischievous dogs that will try as much as possible to figure out exactly how much they can get away with, and if you don’t set limits as early as possible and let it develop its own sense of what it can and can’t do, this can be difficult to break the dog of later on.

They’re also great around children.

all I know is my next dog is gonna be an American Bulldog.

I have a blue heeler mix and she’s actually really calm and loving. Very bright too. She makes other dog owners jealous of me :slight_smile:

Anyway, I have to say I’m rather fond of huskies. I’ve taken care of couple of those for a while. They can be very bright and very physical, athletic, and strong. That can also mean rambuncious and constantly getting into trouble depending on your perspective. They’re capable of enduring a hot climate (Houston is where I raised them), but you absolutely have to make sure they always have water in the heat. The truth is that they’re much happier in cold weather. Huskies can also be very willful so you absolutely have to make sure they know your the alpha dog in their pack or they’ll run right over you.

Can’t go wrong with a well bred German Shepherd (and by well bred I mean comes from a good line of working dogs, not literally inbred show dogs that have a host of problems).

Fiercely loyal, good with kids, playful without being obnoxious, and aloof with strangers but not overtly aggressive and usually big enough to fuck up anyone who enters your domicile uninvited or least give them second thoughts about doing so.

Of course like any breed, how you raise it is going to be important.

Regarding upkeep, I would suggest to you its going to be a problem with any breed really. If you let your dog sleep inside the house, you will have fine hair everywhere and the house smelling faintly of dog in most areas, thats just how it is, not necessarily problematic but it will be present. Huskies shed like crazy in warmer climates so don’t roll with that unless you like regular grooming or having big clumps of fur all over the house.

I’m a fan of Dobermans. They’re loyal, intelligent, athletic, and an attractive breed too. They have a bad reputation due to being bred for security purposes, however no Doberman should be innately aggressive.

I had a German Shepard and she was like mind reader smart. Very attuned to peoples body language and had no fear what so ever of other people. Obedient as anything I could possibly imagine and very easily trainable. She was also very protective, and punched a hole right through my brothers hand when he tried to wake my dad.

She was also very good and gentle with small children and other pets.

Both the Spanish “Presa Canario”, or the Italian “Cane Corso” eat Dobermans
and PitBulls for Breakfast.
Euro Latin Dogs rule…heh.

Here’s a Presa…

[quote]Karado wrote:
Both the Spanish “Prensa Canario”, or the Italian “Cane Corso” eat Dobermans
Latin Origin Dogs rule…heh.

Here’s a Prensa…

[/quote]

A buddy of mine had a Presa Canario/pitbull mix. It was a fucking badass dog, probably the best I’ve ever seen. Extremely smart, very well-behaved, great around kids and it would instantly insert itself between any two people trying to fight. It knew me really well so i would freak out some of my friends by punching them in the arm when he was around and he would instantly run up barking and try to get my friend to back down even though they weren’t doing anything. I don’t think he would have ever actually attacked anyone unless there was a really serious threat, but I think he just liked to intimidate people as a way of fucking with them.

He also weighed about 110 lbs and was athletic as a motherfucker. All black with just a tiny bit of white on his chest.

[quote]Karado wrote:

Here’s a Presa…

[/quote]

Thank you for my new desktop :slight_smile:

[quote]Karado wrote:

Here’s a Presa…

[/quote]

The thing about these dogs though is that they are a fucking handful and really aren’t appropriate for a first-time owner of a molosser-type breed. They’re fucking huge and amazingly strong, but what makes them a handful is that their natural inclination is to be suspicious, if not outright aggressive, toward people they aren’t familiar with. If you want a dog that you can take to the local park or bring on a hike with you or let run around on the beach or whatever, this is most likely not the dog for you.

They aren’t a ticking timebomb waiting to go off by any means (provided you’ve socialized it well) but the fact is that with their size, strength, athleticism and so forth, IF they attack something, that something is probably going to die.

I don’t know, I just don’t think these are great dogs to have around if you don’t need a guard dog of some sorts or you aren’t prepared to be extremely vigilant around it. I would definitely get it fixed if I had one. The half Presa I mentioned earlier had his balls chopped, so that made him more docile. Otherwise, you’ll have to literally run the fucking thing into the ground everyday in order to quench its high drive. Pitbulls are the same way, but from my own experience they tend to do just fine if you take them on a couple short walks a day and take them to the park every now and then. Presas and Corsos generally require more daily exercise than that.

I would go with the Cane Corso over the Presa Canario, though. They’re smarter and respond better to obedience training so it’s easier to get the thing in line at an early age and sort of break it of its natural inclination to be very protective. Unless you live in a rough neighborhood or something like that, you really aren’t going to need a Cane Corso or a Presa Canario to actually protect you from anything. They look intimidating as fuck so only a real psychopath is going to come after you when a dog like that is around.

I’ve always heard that you shouldn’t let dogs walk in front of you when they’re on a leash. I never really paid any attention to that when i had my pitbulls because they knew who the fuck was the boss and I didn’t mind if they walked out in front of me. It was the only time they ever got to feel like they were running shit and it never became even remotely problematic. They were well-trained enough to not start pulling hard when they saw another dog or a cat or these roosters that used to run loose in one of the neighborhoods I lived in.

I wouldn’t allow the same sort of latitude with a Cane Corso or a Presa Canario, though. I would definitely make sure you get used to walking those fuckers so that they aren’t allowed to walk out in front of you, or else they’ll start to think they’re the top dog and not you. If you get one of these I would definitely get one of those collars that chokes the shit out of them if they even pull slightly on the leash and use that for at least the first year of its life. After that, slowly introduce a regular collar, but don’t hesitate to go right back to the choke collar if they start trying to get out front.

Kinda off-topic but I usually like getting hybrids best of both worlds and way cheaper :slight_smile:

[quote]Karado wrote:

Here’s a Presa…

[/quote]

I was seriously considering a Cane Corso but once I spoke to someone about the cost I had to forget about it.

Breed standards in the US don’t seem to match up with what I read about them either.

Thanks.

I have to side with Fletch and say my blue heeler is also very calm and loving. Never really was hyper like others of the same breed. Old, grumpy little guy now (13 yo) but still has his moments. lol

Should have mentioned this, but I’ll probably get the dog from an animal shelter at this stage unless I seriously can not find a dog with the right personality. I’m quite critical as a lot of people don’t raise their pets correctly i.e. neglecting fundamental training, not enough exercise, letting the dog run the family, etc. and the $$$ factor will be a big deal as I’m not willing to pay top dollar for a specific breed.

lol @ the presa canario … not sure how well that will go down with the local council here.

Australian Shepherd! Love my little booger.

http://www.lizpalika.com/rightdog.html

No offense to anyone, but screw paying for a dog. There are a million good dogs out there in need of a home. We got one of our dogs at a yard sale and the other I found under a vehicle at work.