Insert Clever Title Here

So I have a problem with consistency when it comes to clean eating. I’ve worked with a few different coaches and have come to realize that I don’t need to pay someone to tell me to eat clean, I know it, if I can only do what I know. Which is what has led me here. My plan is to post my food and training in attempt to maintain consistency.

My goals? I want what all girls want, to be leaner. I’d like to get down to a more athletic bodyfat 14-16%…not sure what weight I’d be. I’m 5’7 and wear a size 10-12 and would definitely like to get down to a single digit. Oh, I would like to be able to do an unassisted chinup too…alot of goals but there all centered on 1 thing, getting leaner.

I’m currently on my 3rd week of http://figureathlete.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/training/attack_the_fat_in_8_weeks_phase_one

Meal 1) 1 egg + 5 whites, 1/2 grapefruit

workout

Antirotaional Lunge 30lbs x 15 x 3
3 pt DB row 35lbs 15,14, 12

Shelc 15,15,11
Stability Ball Chest Press 25lbs 15,15,15

1 leg squat BWx15, 10lbs x 15, 20lbs x 10, 10lbs x 5
Military Press 15lb x 15,15,13

SLDL 30lb BB x15,12,8

Drink BCAA

45 min SSC (20 min crosstrainer, 25 min treadmill 4mph, 5.5 incline)

Meal 2) PWO 1 scoop whey, 1 scoop glutamine peptide, 2 scoop Superfood, small sweet potato

Welcome GG.

Food talk around here isn’t the focus, although many of us are OK with it. Most of the cheering on comes in recognition of training hard.

With that, I give you props for your weighted one leg squats – 20# is so not easy. Reminds me to quit slacking on my own unilateral work.

Heh welcome. Let me be the first to give you a good slap upside the head and tell you to eat more. That’s not enough food to sustain a hard training girl.

My breakfast: three sausages, three rashers of bacon and two eggs fried in butter. I’m the same height, weigh a little less but am aiming to drop some fat. I know if I eat fat and protein I do fine - I only struggle with my weight when I’m eating carbs. (Put basically, carbs trigger insulin release - insulin promotes fat storage). Once you get off the carb rollercoaster, you find you have a lot of energy and no problems training hard.

Best of luck.

[quote]Cal Jones wrote:
Heh welcome. Let me be the first to give you a good slap upside the head and tell you to eat more. That’s not enough food to sustain a hard training girl.[/quote]

i’ll be the second.

this is NOT FA. take a look around at the other journals.

x2

Kimba - Training will be my focus and I’ll try and keep food posts as a side note. Thanks for the props on the 1 legged squats, they are killer! I feel like I’m walking funny when I get done :-).

Cal & CBear - I think I’m in love, tell me I need to eat more again! A year ago,I trained on an empty stomach, thinking I would burn more fat. Ignorance. I’m still trying to find my happy place as far as preworkout meals, I tend to get pukey.

[quote]gymgrrl11 wrote:
Cal & CBear - I think I’m in love, tell me I need to eat more again! A year ago,I trained on an empty stomach, thinking I would burn more fat. Ignorance. I’m still trying to find my happy place as far as preworkout meals, I tend to get pukey.[/quote]

you need to eat more.

and not just pre-workout, all day. i prefer a solid meal 90-100 min before i train, with about a liter and a half of water.

oh, and…

EAT MORE!

Pre-workout nutrition is an individual thing. Some people can tolerate solid food before, some not, and likewise, some people need food to get a good workout, and some don’t. I train first thing in the morning and have very slow digestion, so I wait until after training to eat. Back last Feb I ran a 5K and thought a protein shake 3 hours beforehand would be fine, but the bloody thing was trying to force its way upward for the entire race. It wasn’t fun and I haven’t tried it since.

I don’t get weak or shaky but then, as I’m eating high protein/fat and low carb, my blood sugar is very stable and I can go for relatively long periods between meals.
Ultimately you’ve got to find what works for you.

Welcome to powerful women. On the subject of workout nutrition, just keep trying to find what works for you. I do best on bacon, eggs and toast but will go with hot cooked cereal and raisins. However, I often can’t make it through a training session without food so I bring bananas and often drink chocolate milk. I’m also well know for eating cheese sandwiches between sets.

welcome GG. i am of the ‘get lean’ phat camp as well. BUT, as you may soon find yourself, i have found more satisfaction in the pursuit of strength. i am certain a LOT can be attained with clean eating (in sufficient amounts) and heavy lifting.

3 weeks is early, but how are you liking Cosgrove’s workout? i like her approach, definitely. i used to think i couldn’t eat pre-workout. i’m enjoying starchy carbs (butternut & spaghetti squash) mixed with some organic maple syrup and pro powder+ BCAAs.

it’s semi solid and if i give it 45 min-an hour, i’m good to go. oh, i suppose time of day is a big factor, cause i eat my EGGIES every morning…but i don’t work out til late, so that’s why i’m on those starches.

keep experimenting and see what works. you can update us with that stuff, but if we sense you going FA on us, beatings will ensue.

Im new to this forum so I hope Im not stepping out of line with this but step away from the stability ball! Up the weight and drop the reps STAT. Listen to these girls about eating more and whatever else they tell you. start the calorie increase slowly but as you lift heavier for the low reps your metabolism is going to shoot through the roof and you will want to eat more.

When you train with weight at a rep range (working sets that is) of 6 or less you arent putting your muscles in the hypertrophy range. Depending on the person 8-15reps will promote muscle gains. The big lifts that you will see in all of these workout journals (squat, deadlift, bench, even military press) are “full body experiences”.

Meaning when you put every ounce of strength and effort to complete 4 reps, 3 reps, 2 reps, your max, all of your muscles are working just to make it happen. That is going to ignite the shit out of your metabolism. Everyone wants to “strengthen their core”, shit, what would strengthen it more? squatting with your 4 rep max weight or doing 15 bodyweight squats on a bosu ball? that and you will get the ass that every woman dreams of if you squat that shit ass to the grass.

The workout that you posted here would make an amazing accessory addition for a squat day. But, pending any injuries or issues you want to lift heavy. That and not only will you look amazing but nothing beats the accomplishment of lifting a weight you never thought you could.

Anyways, that was a long rant…I dont mean to discount what any one on these forums is saying, preaching or selling, but if I can eat more, do less cardio, get stronger, get leaner, not “bulk up” AND feel like a badass? Sign me up on the same sheet as all of these chicks on here!

Oh… and something else that may blow your mind. When you make an attempt at a new weight for deadlifts and squats, and probably bench too, and you FAIL, that is more metabolically efficient than if you would have completed it. Why? When you are pulling or pushing with every shred of muscle, every fiber of your being and miss the weight you used every muscle you could to try and lift it.

All of those muscles just got stimulated in a way they never had before because they werent strong enough. If you could complete the rep there were some muscles still not being activated or called upon. I hope Im explaining this so it makes sense.

I suck at explaining things sometimes…Lifting that heavy also will increase your testosterone and make you want to hump everything in sight. (am i alone here? i feel so aggressive and horny after my heavy lifts…maybe its just me.)

lol BWG…

Hi gymgrrl!

Yeah, lift heavy, basically what BlackWidow said.
(I didn’t know that about failures – that’s actually a very cheerful thought, because it happens to me fairly often.)

[quote]BlackWidowGirl wrote:
Lifting that heavy also will increase your testosterone and make you want to hump everything in sight. (am i alone here? i feel so aggressive and horny after my heavy lifts…maybe its just me.)[/quote]

Nope, you are not alone. :slight_smile:

[quote]talenaah wrote:

3 weeks is early, but how are you liking Cosgrove’s workout? i like her approach, definitely. [/quote]

The phase one (which I just finished the 3rd of 4 weeks of) workouts are circuit like, if you use a challenging weight for 15 reps w/ a 30 second rest period, will kick your ass. But I am looking forward to phase 2, lower reps heavier weights. Honestly, I haven’t noticed a difference physique wise but my diet has been crap so I can’t make a fair assessment. Keeping it 90% clean for the final 5 weeks though :-).

So y’all have me jonsing to lift heavy! Been doing a bit of research today, looked at a few different strength programs. So much to learn!!!

Today I played with kettlebells for some conditioning work and did some foam rolling and stretching. My right hip has been bothering me lately, comes and goes but gets aggravated with pull throughs and good mornings. Think I need to make foam rolling and mobility stuff a daily if not near daily thing.

Oh, before I forget. Saw a guy using chains at my gym yesterday and doing pullups like it was nothing. Plus he had that angry, focused gym swagger, lol, my new gym crush!

Spent about 15-20 minutes working on hip/lowback mobility this morning before lifting and my hip is feeling a little better.

warmup/mobility

workout

Reverse Lunges 45lbs 15,15,15
Lat Pull Down 90lbs 15,14,12

Good Morning 45lbs 15,15,15
Reverse Flyes 15lbs 15,9,6

Bulgarian Split Squat 10lbs 15,15
Pushup 10,8

Jumpsquat 15x
Plank hold 30sec

This beat me up! I know it’s wussy weight compared to some other journals but my legs were BURNING especially during the bulgarian split squats! Today was the first time that I did good mornings and my lower back didn’t get achey…Yay!!! Diet 100% clean, past two days ;-). Been kinda slack about drinking water though, need to get on that…

Those Bulgarian split squats if done with a full ROM are killer.

And foam rolling is the key to good recovery. Which reminds me to get off the computer and get started on it.

This beat me up! I know it’s wussy weight compared to some other journals but my legs were BURNING especially during the bulgarian split squats! …

[/quote]
There is no such this as wussy weight as long as it was heavy and effective! 90lb lat pulldowns are nothing to sneeze at! But they would be if you were able to do 150. Heavy is all relative! Shit, 5lbs can be heavy! Your body doesnt see the number on the machine or dumbbell, it only knows how much effort it has to put out in order to make the reps happen. You are the only one who knows if you are “going heavy” or not…Awesome workout!

Deadlift 95x6, 115x6, 115x2, 95x6 (tweaked my lower back on the right side during 3rd set had to drop)
Military press 30lbx3 (3 sets)

Reverse Lunge off box 40x8,45x8,45x8
2 Pt. DB Row 30x8, 40x8, 40x8
Single leg hip pop 25x8, 40x8, 40x8 (can definitely go heavier here but wasn’t sure how to load weight and wasn’t prepped for the show I was putting on :slight_smile:

Incline DB Press 35x5, 35x4, 35x3
Step Up 35x6, 35x6, switcheed to a 50lb BB b/c of my piss poor grip 50x8

15 minute HITT (5 on step mill, 10 on ellliptical 20 on 70 off)

Today was my first day of Attack the Fat Phase 2. I know I’m down 7lbs, I may post my measurements and stuff if I don’t get ragged for being FAish :-P.
******Notes to self can probably go heavier on most of the exercises w/ the exception of the military press and incline press. I don’t think the bench I was using was high enough for step ups. Next time I’ll drag a step and a ton of risers from the aerobics room to use.

only one way to find out!