T Nation

Insane Cramps Hours After Training

Okay so after certain days when hitting the tris and bis hard I get huge cramps a few hours after working out.

When I work tris the cramps with be in the tris (any time I straighten my arm)

When I work bis the cramps are in the forearm I think the muscle is called brachioradial. (Any time the arm is bent)

This won’t happen to bigger muscles.

What the hell?
Why?
And how can I stop this?

I get this too. I’ve read it’s from low potassium and dehydration, so I usually drink a bunch of water and take a vitamin. Massaging the muscles seem to help also.

I get it mostly in my biceps and sometimes in my chest. It’s a bitch when you’re trying to sleep on your side and your pecs keep cramping up.

Is your water intake adequate?
Are you warming up those muscles enough?
What exercises are you doing?

Hmmmm, I have something similar happen when I train legs. It’s almost always in my VMOs. Insane cramping, to the point where I have a bruise on my leg from the cramping today.
I always assumed it was because my quads are relatively small and underworked. I drink like a fish and it still happens. I also wonder why.

[quote]Rocky2 wrote:
Is your water intake adequate?
Are you warming up those muscles enough?
What exercises are you doing?[/quote]

I mean I drink a gallon or more a day. I have on average 3-5 clear or lightly yellow pisses a day.

By the time I hit my arms I’ve already done a couple compound movements so id assume they are pretty warmed up.

And exercise selection is pretty irrelevant no matter what I do its bound to happen.

But today after my two back movements I did 140lb barbell curls 3x10, hammer curls 100lb dumbbells sloppy form for 8,6,6 and 25lb concentration curls off my thigh with perfect slow form for 3x10

And yesterday for tris I did dead stop skull crushers off the floor with pretty light weight (dunno how much the bar was)
And rope tricep extensions 3x10-15 for both exercises with good form for each.

I believe it is possible to be to hydrated throwing off electrolyte balance. Perhaps add some potassium tablets with your water intake and take it from there?

To add to what I said before, I’m 99% certain it has to do with dehydration/vitamin deficiencies, NOT the warmup or the particular exercises you are doing.

I believe this because I’ve gotten these post workout cramps in my jaw a few times before (and I’m not doing any jaw exercises…). I’ll open my mouth to yawn or laugh and my jaw just locks up, really painful.

[quote]overstand wrote:
To add to what I said before, I’m 99% certain it has to do with dehydration/vitamin deficiencies, NOT the warmup or the particular exercises you are doing.[/quote]

I agree with this. I like to see the follow up to why it might be the warmup and exercises.

(not trying to sound like a asshole but I’m curious becuase I can’t think of a reason why)

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
Okay so after certain days when hitting the tris and bis hard I get huge cramps a few hours after working out.

When I work tris the cramps with be in the tris (any time I straighten my arm)

When I work bis the cramps are in the forearm I think the muscle is called brachioradial. (Any time the arm is bent)

This won’t happen to bigger muscles.

What the hell?
Why?
And how can I stop this?[/quote]
I don’t know how much this’ll help but you could try doing a DC style stretch at the end of the workout.

How many of you guys take a magnesium supplement?

Magnesium -

TAKE IT.

I get that a lot in my forearms and chest. Need to take magnesium and drink more water. I tend to get it on a particularly grueling workout.

any recommendations for any particular brands as far as magnesium or potassium tablets?

Proper liniments work wonders for this. I prefer Equi-Block and Blue Heat. Just apply to the cramping area and stretch out a bit. Cramps should be solved.

cool went and got some potassium plus 99 and magnesium 250 from gnc this morning. i wont have another arm day for a few days but hopefully this will help

I get these in my forearms pretty regularly.

How much pro are you eating? You’re very likely not getting enough water. There’s an old Iron Radio cast about just how much water athletes eating high protein use vis-a-vis others, and it was pretty surprising. Made me feel much more okay about how often I urinate as well, lol.

Try drinking more than a gallon a day. Esp if you take in carbs post-workout, as (I’m pretty sure) carbs take more water to process than fats/protein.

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:

How much pro are you eating? You’re very likely not getting enough water. There’s an old Iron Radio cast about just how much water athletes eating high protein use vis-a-vis others, and it was pretty surprising. Made me feel much more okay about how often I urinate as well, lol.

Try drinking more than a gallon a day. Esp if you take in carbs post-workout, as (I’m pretty sure) carbs take more water to process than fats/protein.[/quote]

roughly 300g including incidentals

hmmmm, i wonder how much water is optimal because i know having too much can cause problems. I mean seriously piss clear or close to clear almost all the time.

but ill have 8-10 16.9oz water bottles a day

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:

Try drinking more than a gallon a day. Esp if you take in carbs post-workout, as (I’m pretty sure) carbs take more water to process than fats/protein.[/quote]

roughly 300g including incidentals

hmmmm, i wonder how much water is optimal because i know having too much can cause problems. I mean seriously piss clear or close to clear almost all the time.

but ill have 8-10 16.9oz water bottles a day
[/quote]
I drink like 1500ml of water during my workout and I still get the cramps, so I think if you had a really crazy session where the blood got pumped through the muscle good, the cramps are just inevitable. You just have to make sure you keep the muscle lengthened (i.e. don’t contract it after the workout when you are sitting around or anything), eat a good/big meal, and take magnesium. I take Poliquin’s UberMag specifically for when I get cramps.

do you stretch after your workout?

cool went and got some potassium plus 99 and magnesium 250 from gnc this morning. i wont have another arm day for a few days but hopefully this will help[/quote]

I’d be careful supplementing with potassium regularly. more =/= better. when I get a patient with a high serum potassium I worry about his/her heart stopping at any minute.

stretching post workout should help considerably, and maybe add some foam rolling.