Input, Yours, Wanted

I would bounce this off of other people, but I don’t have any friends that train. Input, Critiques, training holes desired.

Goals: Maintain Muscle, Lose Fat

Day1:
Metabolic Training, circuit training with dumbbells at home

Day2:
Deadlift
3x5
3x3
3x1
Chinups
3x5
3x3
3x1
Bench Press
3x5
3x3
3x1
Elevated Calf Raises, Smith Machine
100 Reps, 6-8 sets

Day3:
Metabolic Training, circuit training with dumbbells at home

Day4:
Squats
3x5
3x3
3x1
Chinups
3x5
3x3
3x1
Bench Press
3x5
3x3
3x1
Elevated Calf Raises, Smith Machine
100 Reps, 6-8 sets

Side notes:
-The first time I have ever had comments on my calfs was after I added the heavy calf raises.
-After week 4 I took (and am currently on) a week break since I had two underperforming workouts.
-I have a preference for heavier weight lower reps, I focus better on the lifts. If I go higher reps all I can think about is getting done.

Let me amend this a bit.
I don’t want to maintain muscle I want a crapload of it. I just don’t want any rolls to go with it.

deadlift/bench and squat/bench on the same day?

i would spread those out more. going super heavy on deads/squats will leave u’re CNS and energy levels taxed for maximal preformance on bench

I don’t like it.

I would highly recommend this:

Of all the workouts I have done for fat loss, my favorite by far is Christian Thibaudeau’s Getting Hypermetabolic. (It is a later revision of Destroying Fat that ran here on Testosterone.)
http://www.figureathlete.com/free_online_article/bodybuilding/getting_hypermetabolic&cr=

It includes the heavy, low-rep work that you like, and for me at least, is necessary to maintain muscle while dieting. But it goes further by adding the high-speed stuff that really helps burn the fat off.

Like your plan, it has 2 days of heavy lifting and 2 days of metabolic/complexes, but it is structured as an upper/lower split which I prefer. Also, the order is

Day 1 - Lower body, strength/heavy
Day 2 - Upper body, strength/heavy
Day 3 - Lower body complex
Day 4 - Upper body complex

CT’s order is better because your ability to do the heavy/strength work will be impaired if you did complex stuff the previous day. If you do the workouts in CT’s order, you’ll do the most demanding heavy lifting for lower body on Day 1 when you are freshest.

You’ll be fine for upper body the next day as well. You’ll have some fatigue accumulating for the complex days, but they’re just complexes so you get through them and then have a couple recovery days.

For your originally stated goal of maintaining muscle while losing fat, I feel this routine is exceptionally well designed and hard to beat.

<<deadlift/bench and squat/bench on the same day?>>
I was going for total body training to stoke the metabolic fires.

<<u’re CNS and energy levels taxed for maximal preformance >>
My body agrees with you. I was usually always in a state of exhaustion. However, I was finally able to add weight to my chinups which to me was a first.

<>
Thanks for the recommendation. There were too many weird exercises I won’t do. :slight_smile:

<<It includes the heavy, low-rep work that you like>>
Yummy.

<<CT’s order is better because your ability to do the heavy/strength work will be impaired if you did complex stuff the previous day.>>
This is a great recommendation, thank you. Glanced over it, like it. Will read it thoroughly once home from work.

Call me weird, but the thing I fear most about changing my program is losing my chinup progress. :slight_smile:

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

i would spread those out more. going super heavy on deads/squats will leave u’re CNS and energy levels taxed for maximal preformance on bench[/quote]

thats because you only have one testicle.

i like the routine. the only shit i can give u r the parameters.

id go for straight 5x5 or 6 x 6 or 3 x 6

3x3 will surely give u good stimulation but are you going heavy enough on these? even so, its not gonna be enough volume to put on all the muscle you’re looking for.

Zeus:
<>
3x5,3x3,3x1 = 27 reps. The only scheme you offer that exceeds that is the 6x6. So are you saying that 27 is not enough?

<<are you going heavy enough on these?>>
The only lift I tend to hangback on in weight is Bench, I am a solo lifter.

[quote]yasser wrote:

Call me weird, but the thing I fear most about changing my program is losing my chinup progress. :)[/quote]

Pick one goal and really go after it.

You now have expressed 3 in this thread:

• lose fat, maintain muscle
  • gain craploads of muscle, but not too much fat
  • more chinups

I do chinups on CT’s Getting Hypermetabolic, but with fat loss as my main goal I don’t worry about making tons of progress on them.

After you’ve lost the fat you want to lose, you can do a different routine and diet to gain muscle and make progress on chinups.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
HolyMacaroni wrote:

i would spread those out more. going super heavy on deads/squats will leave u’re CNS and energy levels taxed for maximal preformance on bench

thats because you only have one testicle.

i like the routine. the only shit i can give u r the parameters.

id go for straight 5x5 or 6 x 6 or 3 x 6

3x3 will surely give u good stimulation but are you going heavy enough on these? even so, its not gonna be enough volume to put on all the muscle you’re looking for.[/quote]

theres a reason why majority of people split up squats and deads, one of the two are going to suffer if ur going heavy on both of them.

<<You now have expressed 3 in this thread: >>

Your right. I am going to give the program you suggested a 4 week go then ascertain what I need to do next after that.

<>

Point of note. Deads and Squats do not happen on the same day on my (now) previous plan.

[quote]yasser wrote:
Zeus:
<>
3x5,3x3,3x1 = 27 reps. The only scheme you offer that exceeds that is the 6x6. So are you saying that 27 is not enough?

<<are you going heavy enough on these?>>
The only lift I tend to hangback on in weight is Bench, I am a solo lifter.
[/quote]

my fault, the 3x5 was mistaken for 3x3.

but still, 3x5 3x3 3x1 looks like something someone would do to gain strength. what i should’ve mentioned is TUT. dont overlook it when you wanna gain mass. e.g. hungarian oak blast