T Nation

Input On New Diet and Program

I am not exactly new to this but i did take about 2 years off after i got married.  I was wanting the pro's here opnion on this program and diet i am have started.

I am about 5'7", 170lbs, 27 years old
Diet is about 3500-4000 KCals with a 30-40-30 fat/carb/protien ratio. I am taking creatine 5 grams, 20 grams fish oil, and i supplement my diet with mrp's.

This is my workout. I do 3-6 reps on Monday and tuesday then 8-12 reps on Thursday and Friday.

Workout A: Monday/ Thursday

A: BB Squats ? 2 warm-up sets, 3 work sets
B: BB Bench ? 2 warm-up sets, 3 work sets

C1: BB Split Squats (no warm up, 3 work sets
C2: Standing DB Curls ? 1 warm up, 3 work sets

D1: DB Incline ? 1 warm up, 3 work sets
D2: BB Reverse Curls ? 1 warm up, 3 work sets

Workout B: Tuesday/ Friday

A: BB Deadlifts ? 2 warm up, 3 work sets
B: BB Hang Cleans ? 1 warm up, 3 work sets

C1: BB Reverse Grip Bench ? 1 warm up, 3 work sets
C2: BB Good Mornings ? no warm up, 3 work sets

D1: DB Seated 2-arm Overhead Extension ? 1 warm up, 3 work sets
D2: Chins ? no warm up, 3 work sets

Any tips, suggestions or ideas would be great.

I'm not a "pro", but I'll give it my best shot. :slight_smile:

You didn't state your goals. Are you trying to bulk right now? Or doing some body re-composition? You sound like you know the basics about nutrition. Aside from your total calories and macro distribution, what about the specifics?

What kind of food are you using to getting to those numbers? How much many meals per day? What about PWO? And with fats, how much of each kind of fats: saturated vs. polyunsaturated vs monounsaturated? Let's get some nutrition timing info as well. :slight_smile:

So, you're squatting twice a week and deadlifting twice a week, albeit with a different rep (thus also meaning weight) scheme. Why doubling up on squats and deads? Yes, it's important to do the big money exercises, but that seems like a lot of work on the same exercises.

How about switching them out for different variations (front squats, overhead squats, Romanian deadlifts, deficit deadlifts, etc.) on your Thursdays and Fridays to work on weak points?

Also, I don't see any upper back exercises like rows and different pulling exercises.

What about shoulders? How about some vertical presses?

And you're always welcome to add weighted dips for tricep and chest, instead of an overhead extension. Those work great as a superset with chin-ups! :slight_smile:

"You didn't state your goals. Are you trying to bulk right now? Or doing some body re-composition? You sound like you know the basics about nutrition. Aside from your total calories and macro distribution, what about the specifics?

What kind of food are you using to getting to those numbers? How much many meals per day? What about PWO? And with fats, how much of each kind of fats: saturated vs. polyunsaturated vs monounsaturated? Let's get some nutrition timing info as well. :slight_smile: "

I am bulking. I get a lot of my fat from the fish oil 20g's and peanut butter. The other part would come from various meats and milk. I ususally eat 5 times a day. I drink about 1000 cals, 115g protien shake after i leave the gym.

"So, you're squatting twice a week and deadlifting twice a week, albeit with a different rep (thus also meaning weight) scheme. Why doubling up on squats and deads? Yes, it's important to do the big money exercises, but that seems like a lot of work on the same exercises.

How about switching them out for different variations (front squats, overhead squats, Romanian deadlifts, deficit deadlifts, etc.) on your Thursdays and Fridays to work on weak points?"

Thats a great point i hadn't thought of. High rep deadlifts and cleans suck. Although i was going to change all the exercises after 4 weeks to keep it fresh.

"Also, I don't see any upper back exercises like rows and different pulling exercises." What did you have in mind?

"What about shoulders? How about some vertical presses?"
I thought the same thing the first time i did this workout a long time ago. It does so many compound movements like the cleans, chins, and the reverse grip BP that i had great shoulder development. I incorperate presses in the cleans sometimes though.

"And you're always welcome to add weighted dips for tricep and chest, instead of an overhead extension. Those work great as a superset with chin-ups! :-)" I heard that. I have done dips with chins and they make my arms get freaking swolt. Won't even be able to wash my hair.

Thanks for the help i am gonna change some things.

like above said main thing you ignore the whole back side of your body, rows chins etc

if your wanting full body base each day on one big push, one pull, one legs and go from there

squat, bench, bo. row

DL, oh press, chins

lunges, dips, cleans, or face pulls etc

Phill

Since you're bulking, your PWO would be especially important. The hour to hour and a half after is your "anabolic window" in which you'll need to give your body a 2:1 ratio of starchy carb to protein to promote the replenishment of your muscular glycogen storage.

In general, I don't think deadlifts and cleans are something that you'd want to do in high reps. They're more a technique exercise, and you'd want to be fresh. I'd suggest you go lower reps and heavy, and make sure you keep form in check for those. There's no point going to the point to tired your muscles out where you get out of form and hurt yourself. It's much better to stress them hard and fast going heavy, and move on.

I didn't think about the cleans and reverse grip BP working shoulders. My bad. If it works, stay with it. :slightly_smiling:

I put on 2 lbs in 2 weeks i can definatly see the difference in my traps, shoulders and chest.

I was gonna do monthly pics but i may switch to bi weekly. I will post them when i don't look so sickly.