Input on Lat Symmetry

Hey all-

I cannot understand why my lats look the way they do, and it is quite frustrating. It seems that, no matter what I’ve tried, I cannot get my left side to look like the right. When I contract them, however, I can tell my lats insert at the same point. I stretch, do unilateral exercises, negatives, light weight, the whole shebang.

This issue has persisted for several years, and during that time I feel as though I’ve tried every back exercise known to man and switched up my routine several times to try to remedy this. I’m beginning to wonder if it might be the result of a skeletal issue. But please, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

There are more things in this world to worry about than that your lats look “different”.

[quote]Fuzzyapple.Train wrote:
There are more things in this world to worry about than that your lats look “different”. [/quote]

I agree. I’m not naive. Just looking for some help/ input/ advice.

Is it that one of your lats seems more flared than the other one?

If so just work on your shoulder/scap mobility/stability(look it up) as this is more likely to be where one of your scaps hangs out compared to the other one rather than one of your lats being significantly larger than the other one.

Keep doing 1 arm row variations and when using two arms make sure both scaps move equally during back exercises.

[quote]JoabSonOfZeruiah wrote:
Is it that one of your lats seems more flared than the other one?

If so just work on your shoulder/scap mobility/stability(look it up) as this is more likely to be where one of your scaps hangs out compared to the other one rather than one of your lats being significantly larger than the other one.

Keep doing 1 arm row variations and when using two arms make sure both scaps move equally during back exercises.[/quote]

Thank you for your reply. Now that you bring it up I really do think that scapular mobility is a big part of the issue… and yes I feel that my left side just “stops” whereas my right tapers out more fully from the bottom

Throw a pic up doing a lat spread or rear double bi so you can actually tell if there is a noticeable difference

try lifting some weights, I love these kids that say I need an exercise to work my lower outside pecs, when they don’t have any pecs yet. Try some heavy rows, chins and deads, check back in, in three years. Not tryin to be a dick, but stop sweatin the small stuff, and spend your time on the basics. goodluck

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
try lifting some weights, I love these kids that say I need an exercise to work my lower outside pecs, when they don’t have any pecs yet. Try some heavy rows, chins and deads, check back in, in three years. Not tryin to be a dick, but stop sweatin the small stuff, and spend your time on the basics. goodluck[/quote]

no you are absolutely right- i was just hesitant to go heavier in fears that it might exaggerate the issue i perceive… and here is the pic of my trying to pose. thanks again for your responses

I’m sorry…I don’t see it.

your first exercise to fix the problem would be one set of clockwise 90 degree rotation.

[quote]Waittz wrote:
your first exercise to fix the problem would be one set of clockwise 90 degree rotation. [/quote]

thanks for the reply- i have googled this term but found nothing-- what exactly is this exercise?

Don’t see it either man. Think you are being a little paranoid.

In the first pic it looks more like your R humerus is internally rotated. This allows the R lat to be a little more relaxed. Do some more shoulder mobility stuff and keeping training hard.

[quote]rgraham12 wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:
your first exercise to fix the problem would be one set of clockwise 90 degree rotation. [/quote]

thanks for the reply- i have googled this term but found nothing-- what exactly is this exercise?[/quote]

He means “turn the picture so it is rightside up so viewers (us) don’t need to turn our heads 90 degrees to the left”.

–Me

^LMFAO

[quote]kravi wrote:

[quote]rgraham12 wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

thanks for the reply- i have googled this term but found nothing-- what exactly is this exercise?[/quote]

He means “turn the picture so it is rightside up so viewers (us) don’t need to turn our heads 90 degrees to the left”.

–Me[/quote]

Hmmm looks pretty horizontal to me actually

probably the gravity pulling down your left side.