T Nation

Input on a Program for Athletes

Hey CT, I understand they you work with a lot of athletes. I was wondering how good this maybe for a lacrosse player:

Work out #1

Snatch Grip Deadlift5x5
Bench Press 10x3 or 5,4,3,2,1
Pull Ups 4 sets to failure
Bulgarian Split Squats 3x10-12
3 way shoulder finisher TRX 2x10

Work out #2

5x5
Squat
Over head press
Rows 4x8
GHR- AMAPXx3
4x8
DB Floor Press & band pull a parts

Work Out #3

Box Jumps 6x3
Borad Jumps 4x2
Ladder work (about 15 mins)
Hang Clean 5x2
KB swings (1 Bell per hand) 4x15
Ab Work-
Paloff press 3x30 sec
Med ball twist 4x20
plank 3x1 min

[quote]Canuck88 wrote:
Hey CT, I understand they you work with a lot of athletes. I was wondering how good this maybe for a lacrosse player:

Work out #1

Snatch Grip Deadlift5x5

Work out #2

5x5
Squat
Over head press
Rows 4x8
GHR- AMAPXx3
4x8

Work Out #3

Box Jumps 6x3
Borad Jumps 4x2
Hang Clean 5x2
Ab Work-
Paloff press 3x30 sec
Med ball twist 4x20
plank 3x1 min
[/quote]

That’s not a program… meaning that it’s one week of training or one phase of training. It looks fine by itself (if you are into low frequency training, which I am not) but I can’t really comment without knowing what was the previous training done, how long will this phase last, what will it move on to next, what other work (track work or metabolic conditioning work for example), is this in season or off season, etc.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]Canuck88 wrote:

Work out #1

Snatch Grip Deadlift5x5

Work out #2

5x5
Squat
Over head press
Rows 4x8
GHR- AMAPXx3
4x8

Work Out #3

Box Jumps 6x3
Borad Jumps 4x2
Hang Clean 5x2
Ab Work-
Paloff press 3x30 sec
Med ball twist 4x20
plank 3x1 min
[/quote]

That’s not a program… meaning that it’s one week of training or one phase of training. It looks fine by itself (if you are into low frequency training, which I am not) but I can’t really comment without knowing what was the previous training done, how long will this phase last, what will it move on to next, what other work (track work or metabolic conditioning work for example), is this in season or off season, etc.[/quote]

You’re right, I used the term “program” loosely, I will be doing this training in-season, that explains why it is low frequency. I have done 5x5 full body work outs before. 3 days a week. After this I will be doing some more agility work, plyometrics and strength training more frequently. 5-6 days a week.

so basically from now to July I will be doing this type of work out.

What are your thoughts on the exercise selection, particularly the Snatch Grip DL, OHP, and work out 3 in general?

Lastly, are the rep schemes okay? The benching is paused, I don’t usually use an “RPE” scale but if i were to everything except the Bench press would be an RPE 8/9.5

(this is because I have trouble increasing my bench, as you can see with the rep schemes.)

Thanks, Thib!!

Oh and what are your thoughts on the ideal supplementation for teens?

[quote]Canuck88 wrote:
Work out #1

Snatch Grip Deadlift5x5
[/quote]

I like snatch grip deadlifts, but only if they are done right. Most people turn it into a deadlift with a wide grip. Meaning that they deadlift it like a conventional powerliftign deadlift but using a wide grip. his means starting with the hips high and pulling mostly with the back/hips. In a snatch-grip deadlift your hips start as low as possible while still having the shoulders slightly in front of the back and the initial “pull” is done by pressing withe the legs, as a result the torso angle doesn’t change until you pass the knees.

I prefer slightly higher reps for the bench press in-season… there is no need to go at or above 90%. I’d stick to sets of 3-5 reps, ideally shooting for 5 x 5 using a double progression scheme (add weight when you can complete all 5 sets of 5 reps with the same weight… stick to the same weight at the next workout if you can’t do 5 reps for all your sets).

On the pull-ups I would rather prefer that you shoot for a specific number and reach that number in as few sets as possible and in as little time as possible… never going to failure (it will make the process longer). I suggest using a total number that is roughly 3x what you can do for a max set. For example if you can do 10 solid reps, shoot for 30 total pull ups and try to get there in as little time as possible, making each rep perfect.

When you can complete all the reps in 2 sets, add 10 total reps to do.

[quote]Canuck88 wrote:
Work out #2

5x5
Squat
Over head press
Rows 4x8
GHR- AMAPXx3
4x8
[/quote]

That’s fine. Which gets me wondering why the 5-4-3-2-1 or 10x3 on bench since you are doing 5x5 for your other strength moves. In-season, if something shouldn’t be pushed to the max it’s the bench press.

If there is one thing I might change is put the rows on DAY 1 and pull-ups on DAY 2

[quote]Canuck88 wrote:
Work Out #3

Box Jumps 6x3
Borad Jumps 4x2
Hang Clean 5x2
Ab Work-
Paloff press 3x30 sec
Med ball twist 4x20
plank 3x1 min
[/quote]

Doesn’t look too bad. I don’t like jumps in season. You are already placing a lot of stress on the knees with the running and change of direction during your practices as it is. Box jumps are fine because there is much less shock absoption, but I would really avoid broad jumps. You can go as high as 5 reps on box jumps, in fact it is probably better. 5 x 5 instead of 6 x 3.

I’d probably recommend sets of 3 on the cleans.

[quote]Canuck88 wrote:
Oh and what are your thoughts on the ideal supplementation for teens?[/quote]

Get your peri-workout in order. PLAZMA pre and during workouts. That’s your 1st, 2nd and 3rd priority.

SURGE WORKOUT FUEL for your games.

That’s it. Spend your money where the return will be the greatest.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]Canuck88 wrote:
Work out #1

Snatch Grip Deadlift5x5
[/quote]

I like snatch grip deadlifts, but only if they are done right. Most people turn it into a deadlift with a wide grip. Meaning that they deadlift it like a conventional powerliftign deadlift but using a wide grip. his means starting with the hips high and pulling mostly with the back/hips. In a snatch-grip deadlift your hips start as low as possible while still having the shoulders slightly in front of the back and the initial “pull” is done by pressing withe the legs, as a result the torso angle doesn’t change until you pass the knees.

I prefer slightly higher reps for the bench press in-season… there is no need to go at or above 90%. I’d stick to sets of 3-5 reps, ideally shooting for 5 x 5 using a double progression scheme (add weight when you can complete all 5 sets of 5 reps with the same weight… stick to the same weight at the next workout if you can’t do 5 reps for all your sets).

On the pull-ups I would rather prefer that you shoot for a specific number and reach that number in as few sets as possible and in as little time as possible… never going to failure (it will make the process longer). I suggest using a total number that is roughly 3x what you can do for a max set. For example if you can do 10 solid reps, shoot for 30 total pull ups and try to get there in as little time as possible, making each rep perfect.

When you can complete all the reps in 2 sets, add 10 total reps to do.

[quote]Canuck88 wrote:
Work out #2

5x5
Squat
Over head press
Rows 4x8
GHR- AMAPXx3
4x8
[/quote]

That’s fine. Which gets me wondering why the 5-4-3-2-1 or 10x3 on bench since you are doing 5x5 for your other strength moves. In-season, if something shouldn’t be pushed to the max it’s the bench press.

If there is one thing I might change is put the rows on DAY 1 and pull-ups on DAY 2

[quote]Canuck88 wrote:
Work Out #3

Box Jumps 6x3
Borad Jumps 4x2
Hang Clean 5x2
Ab Work-
Paloff press 3x30 sec
Med ball twist 4x20
plank 3x1 min
[/quote]

Doesn’t look too bad. I don’t like jumps in season. You are already placing a lot of stress on the knees with the running and change of direction during your practices as it is. Box jumps are fine because there is much less shock absoption, but I would really avoid broad jumps. You can go as high as 5 reps on box jumps, in fact it is probably better. 5 x 5 instead of 6 x 3.

I’d probably recommend sets of 3 on the cleans.[/quote]

Thanks Coach!!