Inner Thigh

[quote]RaspberryCookie wrote:
Don’t get me wrong here. I use both narrow and wide-stance squats as well as bodybuilding-style and weightlifting-style front squats. But you’re not hearing me. The adductors do not only medially flex the legs. I’m gonna say it again because it’s very important.

The adductors do not only medially flex the legs.

Whether you’re pushing your knees out or not has absolutely nothing to do with it. It does not deactivate the adductors; they are still part of hip flexion. You seem to have missed this point from my prior posts.
[/quote]

I’m not at all suprised…I’ve never been very good at this whole thinking thing…

great, glad we agree that both narrow and wide stance squatting work your inner thigh muscles (wide stance squatting is no more productive than narrow stance for working the inner thigh muscles)…

a full contracted muscle cannot be stretched or muscle damage (tearing of the muscle) will occur…muscle isn’t stretched during an eccentric contraction (I am aware of the oxymoron of ‘eccentric contraction’ but it’s a common term used in weightlifting discussions), it’s ripped apart (ergo the theory that most muscle damage occurs during the eccentric portion of a lift)…

axion? hahaha…

is it more productive to use full range of motion in an exersize to improve muscle hypertrophy? sure…

is muscle tissue damaged more by the eccentric portion of a lift? sure…

due to stretch? I think I see where some of my confusion lies (maybe)…we’re using two different ideas for the word stretch…

I’m using stretch as in pre-workout ritual type stretch (contracting your muscles while stretching is counter productive to ‘loosening’ your muscles up)…you’re using stretch to mean the eccentric portion of a full ROM exersize (am I correct? or am I still ‘missing the boat’)…

[quote]
If you don’t know where I’m coming from by now, I’m just not going to bother clarifying further.[/quote]

it often takes me awhile to catch on to ideas and concepts…I apologize for my underdeveloped comprehension abilities…

Yes, by stretch I mean full extension of the muscle. Seems we’ve cleared things up!

wide stance squats, lunges, sumo deadlifts.

[quote]DPH wrote:
Sxio wrote:
Wide stance squats.

nope…

wide stance squatters should be forcing their knees and feet OUT while squatting, not in…

if done properly, wide stance squatting will not work your inner thigh muscles any more than normal stance squatting…

stretching the muscles of your inner thigh is not the same thing as working them more…[/quote]

wrong. do a little EMG testing and you’ll see that the inner thighs <vastus medialis, and the three adductors> get much more activation with wide stance squats. don’t be one of those idiots who thinks that there is no difference in muscle activation between different exercises.

[quote]DPH wrote:
RaspberryCookie wrote:
You’re right, it’s not as if stretching and contracting the muscle during the eccentric portion of the lift helps develop that muscle, which is exactly what wide stance squats do.

again, if you’re heavily contracting (i.e. pushing in with your knees and feet instead of pushing outwards) the muscles of the inner thigh while squatting with a wide stance you’re doing the movement incorrectly…

could you elaborate on how the traps function directly in correlation with elbow flexion? I always like to learn more about muscle physiology.

they don’t, that’s my point…

hey, I’m glad that everything you know about lifting is from a text book…it makes you seem ‘smart’…

once again, wide stance squatting (if done properly) doesn’t work the inner thigh muscles any more than squatting with a narrower stance…

recommending wide stance squats (as opposed to any other form of squatting) to work the inner thigh muscles is ridiculous…

p.s. it’s impossible to stretch a muscle that is being contracted…of course you know that already because you’re an expert at physiology…[/quote]

you’re still wrong. and it was never implied that a contracted muscle was stretched. obviously stretching is the opposite of contracting. congratulations on knowing the difference.

[quote]DPH wrote:
hey Sxio…

do you think Tom Platz inner thighs grew at all from all the narrow stance squatting he did?[/quote]

you’re trying to refer to the man who personally recommended varities of squat stances to build all areas of the thighs to back up your incorrect argument/position of there being no increase/difference in inner thigh work/activation/hypertrophy when doing wide-stance squats when compared to narrow stance?

good strategy.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
Sxio wrote:
Not convincing me. I did wide stance squats and the inside of my thighs grew much more than the outside. That convinced me.

This is just evidence that wide stance squats will hit your inner thighs to some extent; the conversation was whether wide stance were more inner thigh specific than narrow stance.[/quote]

wide stance squats are absolutely more inner thigh intensive than narrow-stance squats. do one set of wide-stance squats and try to tell me that your inner thighs are not doing more of the work than they do during narrow-stance squats.

raspberry cookie is about 50 steps ahead of DPH in terms of knowledge of muscle physiology.

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
DPH wrote:
Sxio wrote:
Wide stance squats.

nope…

wide stance squatters should be forcing their knees and feet OUT while squatting, not in…

if done properly, wide stance squatting will not work your inner thigh muscles any more than normal stance squatting…

stretching the muscles of your inner thigh is not the same thing as working them more…

wrong. do a little EMG testing and you’ll see that the inner thighs <vastus medialis, and the three adductors> get much more activation with wide stance squats. don’t be one of those idiots who thinks that there is no difference in muscle activation between different exercises.
[/quote]

you are wrong…wide stance squats, if done properly, develop the inner thigh muscle no more than any other type of squat…

added…

EMG testing of someone incorrectly performing wide stance squatting means jack shit…

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
you’re still wrong. and it was never implied that a contracted muscle was stretched. obviously stretching is the opposite of contracting. congratulations on knowing the difference.
[/quote]

you say I’m wrong, then you say I’m right…

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
DPH wrote:
hey Sxio…

do you think Tom Platz inner thighs grew at all from all the narrow stance squatting he did?

you’re trying to refer to the man who personally recommended varities of squat stances to build all areas of the thighs to back up your incorrect argument/position of there being no increase/difference in inner thigh work/activation/hypertrophy when doing wide-stance squats when compared to narrow stance?

good strategy.[/quote]

the overwhelming amount of squats that Platz did was narrow stance squatting…

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
wide stance squats are absolutely more inner thigh intensive than narrow-stance squats. do one set of wide-stance squats and try to tell me that your inner thighs are not doing more of the work than they do during narrow-stance squats.
[/quote]

horseshit…

wide stance squats, if done properly, are no more effective at developing the inner thigh muscles…

I do wide stance squats (correctly) all the time…I push my knees and feet apart while doing them (as they are supposed to be done)…

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
raspberry cookie is about 50 steps ahead of DPH in terms of knowledge of muscle physiology.[/quote]

so what…

you don’t learn everything about lifting weights from a text book…

try pushing your knees and feet apart the next time you do wide stance squats (the way you’re supposed to)…

your inner thigh muscles won’t be activated any more than doing narrow stance squats…

[quote]DPH wrote:
hueyOT wrote:
DPH wrote:
Sxio wrote:
Wide stance squats.

nope…

stretching the muscles of your inner thigh is not the same thing as working them more…

you are wrong…wide stance squats, if done properly, develop the inner thigh muscle no more than any other type of squat…[/quote]

if you say so, it must be true. too bad EMG research says otherwise. for you to even think that two exercises which are clearly differenct and somehow the same in terms of hypertrophy effects and motor-unit activation goes far in illustrating what you understand about this subject.

so we’re trying to talk about which exercises are inner thigh intensive… and wide-stance squats were mentioned.

so why are you talking about how to do them? i’m sure that most people don’t think it’s a good idea to let their knees cave in when doing wide-stance squats.

thanks for your insightful comments on pointers regarding how to do the wide-stance squat correctly.

back to the point, if you’re trying to emphasize the inner thigh, wide-stance squats are a good choice of exercise.

but don’t let that stop you from continually telling yourself that wide-stance squats and narrow-stance squats, while clearly different exercises, do no activate the muscles involved to any differing degrees. they’re different, yet exactly the same!

[quote]DPH wrote:
hueyOT wrote:
DPH wrote:
hey Sxio…

do you think Tom Platz inner thighs grew at all from all the narrow stance squatting he did?

good strategy.

the overwhelming amount of squats that Platz did was narrow stance squatting…[/quote]

want me to say it again?

[b]you’re trying to refer to the man who personally recommended varities of squat stances to build all areas of the thighs to back up your incorrect argument/position of there being no increase/difference in inner thigh work/activation/hypertrophy when doing wide-stance squats when compared to narrow stance?

good strategy. [/b]

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
if you say so, it must be true.
[/quote]

if I say so it’s usually total bullshit…except for this one instance…

EMG research on someone incorrectly performing an exersize is useless and misleading…

the two exersizes are different and they do have different motor-unit activation…

but neither of them, if done properly, hypertrophy the inner thigh muscles more than the other…

it illustrates that I know how to properly squat with a wide stance…

I’ll end this post with a tip for you - ‘spread the floor’ while wide stance squatting…push out HARD with your knees and feet during the entire range of motion of the lift…

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
want me to say it again?

[b]you’re trying to refer to the man who personally recommended varities of squat stances to build all areas of the thighs to back up your incorrect argument/position of there being no increase/difference in inner thigh work/activation/hypertrophy when doing wide-stance squats when compared to narrow stance?

good strategy. [/b]
[/quote]

I have personally spoken with Tom Platz…

he told me that the overwhelming majority of the squats that he performed were narrow stance squats because that’s what gave him the best over-all hypertrophy…

he also told me that other people may be better of doing different styles of squats if they work better for them…

like i said earlier, i think that most people know how to do wide-stance squats correctly.

and i believe you when you say you know how to do it properly. i believe you when you say you push your knees out and feet out. i believe you.

but if you are doing what you say you’re doing, you’re giving your inner thigh a lot more work than it would get when doing a standard narrow-stance squat.

that leads to more inner-thigh hypertrophy. end of story.

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
so we’re trying to talk about which exercises are inner thigh intensive… and wide-stance squats were mentioned.
[/quote]

wide stance squats, done with correct form, are NOT inner thigh intensive…

I’m talking about how to do them correctly because pushing your knees and feet out HARD negates any emphasis on the muslces of the inner thigh…

thanks…

no, they are not…

[quote]
but don’t let that stop you from continually telling yourself that wide-stance squats and narrow-stance squats, while clearly different exercises, do no activate the muscles involved to any differing degrees. they’re different, yet exactly the same![/quote]

wide stance squats DO activate muscles involved to differing degrees, just not the muscles of the inner thigh…

I never said that narrow stance and wide stance squats were exactly the same…they are only the same as concerns their ability to hypertrophy the muscles of the inner thigh…