Inner Thigh

what is good for inner thigh exercise?

Cable Hip adduction

Wide stance squats.

Lunges work for me.

Rather than lunging straight ahead, try lunging at an angle (with the right foot, a little off to the right instead of straight ahead; with the left, off to the left). This destroys my inner thighs more intensely than any other exercise I’ve tried.

What are you trying to do? What is the reason you need an inner thigh exercise?

[quote]Sxio wrote:
Wide stance squats. [/quote]

nope…

wide stance squatters should be forcing their knees and feet OUT while squatting, not in…

if done properly, wide stance squatting will not work your inner thigh muscles any more than normal stance squatting…

stretching the muscles of your inner thigh is not the same thing as working them more…

Squats, deadlifts, lunges…

[quote]DPH wrote:
Sxio wrote:
Wide stance squats.

nope…

wide stance squatters should be forcing their knees and feet OUT while squatting, not in…

if done properly, wide stance squatting will not work your inner thigh muscles any more than normal stance squatting…

stretching the muscles of your inner thigh is not the same thing as working them more…[/quote]

The hip adductors function in hip extension, wide stance squats work.

[quote]RaspberryCookie wrote:
The hip adductors function in hip extension, wide stance squats work.[/quote]

wide stance squats, if done properly (pushing out on your knees and feet hard), work the inner thigh no more than a narrower stance squat (i.e. shoulder width stance squats work your inner thigh just as well as wide stance squats)…

if the muscles of your inner thigh are being worked more during wide stance squats than with narrower stance squats you’re doing them incorrectly (knees falling in or applying force straight down is incorrect form for wide stance sqatting)…

do wide stance squats work your inner thighs to some extent? sure, but no more than shoulder width stance squats…

doing wide stance squats to specifically target your inner thighs is almost as goofy as doing hammer curls to specifically target your traps…

[quote]DPH wrote:
RaspberryCookie wrote:
The hip adductors function in hip extension, wide stance squats work.

wide stance squats, if done properly (pushing out on your knees and feet hard), work the inner thigh no more than a narrower stance squat (i.e. shoulder width stance squats work your inner thigh just as well as wide stance squats)…

if the muscles of your inner thigh are being worked more during wide stance squats than with narrower stance squats you’re doing them incorrectly (knees falling in or applying force straight down is incorrect form for wide stance sqatting)…

do wide stance squats work your inner thighs to some extent? sure, but no more than shoulder width stance squats…

doing wide stance squats to specifically target your inner thighs is almost as goofy as doing hammer curls to specifically target your traps…[/quote]

You’re right, it’s not as if stretching and contracting the muscle during the eccentric portion of the lift helps develop that muscle, which is exactly what wide stance squats do.

Also, since the hip adductors function directly in correlation with hip extension, could you elaborate on how the traps function directly in correlation with elbow flexion? I always like to learn more about muscle physiology.

[quote]RaspberryCookie wrote:
You’re right, it’s not as if stretching and contracting the muscle during the eccentric portion of the lift helps develop that muscle, which is exactly what wide stance squats do.
[/quote]

again, if you’re heavily contracting (i.e. pushing in with your knees and feet instead of pushing outwards) the muscles of the inner thigh while squatting with a wide stance you’re doing the movement incorrectly…

[quote]
could you elaborate on how the traps function directly in correlation with elbow flexion? I always like to learn more about muscle physiology.[/quote]

they don’t, that’s my point…

hey, I’m glad that everything you know about lifting is from a text book…it makes you seem ‘smart’…

once again, wide stance squatting (if done properly) doesn’t work the inner thigh muscles any more than squatting with a narrower stance…

recommending wide stance squats (as opposed to any other form of squatting) to work the inner thigh muscles is ridiculous…

p.s. it’s impossible to stretch a muscle that is being contracted…of course you know that already because you’re an expert at physiology…

Have you tried sumo deadlifts

It seems obvious to me that wide stance quats do from the angle of the movement. I can’t be arsed trying to explain it in smart sounding language. Except that I use to do them exclusively, my thighs started to rub together when I walked, and i switched to narrow stance squats.

I reduced body fat during this time. And no, I’m not squatting knock knee-ed.

[quote]Sxio wrote:
It seems obvious to me that wide stance quats do from the angle of the movement. I can’t be arsed trying to explain it in smart sounding language. Except that I use to do them exclusively, my thighs started to rub together when I walked, and i switched to narrow stance squats.

I reduced body fat during this time. And no, I’m not squatting knock knee-ed. [/quote]

precursor -

as a simple experiment…

sit in one of those abductor/adductor machines and set it up so that the pad in on the outside of your thighs…now force your legs apart…are you using your inner thighs much?

now put the pad on the inside of your thighs and force your legs in…I bet your getting alot more muscle contraction from you inner thigh area forcing your legs in instead of out…

the proper way to do a wide stance squat is to force your knees and feet OUTWARD…

as far as your legs rubbing together…

I did shoulder width bodybuilder style squats for years and my inner thighs rub together…

the last three years I started doing wide stance squats and my inner thighs still rub together when I walk (I have to wear bike short underwear to walk comfortably)…

ever see a pic of a pro-bodybuilder whose inner thighs didn’t rub together? all those guys do narrow stance squatting…do you think it’s a coincidence?

long story short, wide stance squats don’t hit your inner thigh muscles any more than narrow stance squats…

Not convincing me. I did wide stance squats and the inside of my thighs grew much more than the outside. That convinced me.

[quote]Sxio wrote:
Not convincing me. I did wide stance squats and the inside of my thighs grew much more than the outside. That convinced me. [/quote]

you’ve convinced me that you were doing wide stance squatting incorrectly…

hey Sxio…

do you think Tom Platz inner thighs grew at all from all the narrow stance squatting he did?

[quote]Sxio wrote:
Not convincing me. I did wide stance squats and the inside of my thighs grew much more than the outside. That convinced me. [/quote]

This is just evidence that wide stance squats will hit your inner thighs to some extent; the conversation was whether wide stance were more inner thigh specific than narrow stance.

[quote]DPH wrote:
RaspberryCookie wrote:

again, if you’re heavily contracting (i.e. pushing in with your knees and feet instead of pushing outwards) the muscles of the inner thigh while squatting with a wide stance you’re doing the movement incorrectly…

could you elaborate on how the traps function directly in correlation with elbow flexion? I always like to learn more about muscle physiology.

they don’t, that’s my point…

hey, I’m glad that everything you know about lifting is from a text book…it makes you seem ‘smart’…

once again, wide stance squatting (if done properly) doesn’t work the inner thigh muscles any more than squatting with a narrower stance…

recommending wide stance squats (as opposed to any other form of squatting) to work the inner thigh muscles is ridiculous…

p.s. it’s impossible to stretch a muscle that is being contracted…of course you know that already because you’re an expert at physiology…[/quote]

Don’t get me wrong here. I use both narrow and wide-stance squats as well as bodybuilding-style and weightlifting-style front squats. But you’re not hearing me. The adductors do not only medially flex the legs. I’m gonna say it again because it’s very important.

The adductors do not only medially flex the legs.

Whether you’re pushing your knees out or not has absolutely nothing to do with it. It does not deactivate the adductors; they are still part of hip flexion. You seem to have missed this point from my prior posts.

I’m not specifically arguing that narrow-stance squats are any less effective than wide-stance squats simply because arguments for muscle stretching can be used for both – whereas, in wide-stance squatting, the legs are pushed apart, stretching the adductors, narrow-stance squats typically allow for a deeper squat, also resulting in a further stretch.

As for your your other comment, a muscle can’t contract when being stretched, eh? Why not do a pec stretch and then try flexing your pec. There WILL be a visible change in your muscle. Why? Because you are stretching it.

Furthermore, are you attempting to refute the axiom that full ROM movements improve muscular hypertrophy because the most muscle damage is caused in the eccentric portion of the exercise due to the stretch?

If you don’t know where I’m coming from by now, I’m just not going to bother clarifying further.