T Nation

Ink Me

I am looking having a tattoo done but reading the recent threads and speaking to my mates, there does not seem to be anything you can have done that is still ‘respectable’

barbed wire is old hat and personally I think it looks shite anyway.

I do like the ‘thorns’ but everybody seems to have these nowadays, I saw a UFC fighter once, really solid looking white guy with a bald head, he had on half of his torso and one whole rm done in ‘thorns’ and I thought that looked rather good, anyone know who that is?

My football team is known as the ‘owls’ and our rivals are the ‘pigs’ I was thinking a large owl on my back with a dead pig in its claws would be great, but I gues this would takes ages and cost shit loads.

Any suggestions or links for good tats please.

I was thinking maybe start with something on one shoulder and see how it goes from there

Cheers

One of the most impressive tatoos I’ve ever seen was an Egyptian Suffi symbol, combining the Star of David, Christian cross and Islamic crescent. An actor I had the pleasure to meet in Stockholm had it stamped on his arm. I can’t recall what it was called.

The T-logo is pretty bad-ass.

I don’t like the owl idea.

[quote]lixy wrote:
One of the most impressive tatoos I’ve ever seen was an Egyptian Suffi symbol, combining the Star of David, Christian cross and Islamic crescent. An actor I had the pleasure to meet in Stockholm had it stamped on his arm. I can’t recall what it was called.

The T-logo is pretty bad-ass.

I don’t like the owl idea. [/quote]

fair enough, if you supported the ‘Owls’ you might like it :slight_smile:

I do not want any religious symbols either to be honest.
I think David Beckhams tatto of an angel on his back is rather good, but the fact that he has it makes it the worst tatto anyone else could have done1 he has ruined that type of tattoo

add some crossed barbells underneath and you’re good to go.

[quote]Electric_E wrote:
Any suggestions or links for good tats please.[/quote]

Draw a rough sketch of what you want and bring it to a good artist. He/she will turn it into something doable. Don’t spend too much time working on detail. Fine detail is lost in the process.

AS far as finding a good tattoo artist, go to a convention and walk around. Check out the books of artwork. Make an appointment for after the convention.

I’ve got a couple on my arms. I’m pretty happy with em. I have always thought about getting one somewhere with just a barbell and plates on each side indicative of my current deadlift. (the deadlift is my fav lift.) You can add the 25’s and such and then have them extended as your lift goes up. (In my case it would be a very cheap tat. ha.)

[quote]btm62 wrote:
I’ve got a couple on my arms. I’m pretty happy with em. I have always thought about getting one somewhere with just a barbell and plates on each side indicative of my current deadlift. (the deadlift is my fav lift.) You can add the 25’s and such and then have them extended as your lift goes up. (In my case it would be a very cheap tat. ha.)[/quote]

Did you say “25’s”? Yikes…

Who cares what is “respectable.” As long as you like it, that’s all that matters man.

Unless you want to be Al Bundy, I would avoid anything that can become dated(ie, high school mascots). Sounds cool now, but once you are out of school and a few years older, you may change your mind. The owl alone might be cool, but I would avoid the pig.

The best advice I can give is to draw up what you are thinking about getting, and hang it on your fridge or someplace else you will see it multiple times per day. Then, if you still like it after about 4+ months, it should be something you can live with for the rest of your life.

Most original tat I’ve seen was a co-worker who got this odd symbol(he told me what it was but I forgot, it was the letters from his HS or something, but in an odd script), and then just had a bunch of little blurbs across it like a short list (The Jumping Rock, White Cliffs, etc.), which were all things from childhood and high school he wanted to keep with him. Pretty cool, but a couple of the words were misspelled.

[quote]Electric_E wrote:

I do like the ‘thorns’ but everybody seems to have these nowadays, I saw a UFC fighter once, really solid looking white guy with a bald head, he had on half of his torso and one whole rm done in ‘thorns’ and I thought that looked rather good, anyone know who that is?

Cheers

[/quote]

Jeff Monson sounds like who you’re thinking of. Has a big thorns tat running across his traps and down onto his chest. He generally has a bunch of badass tattoos a la henry rollins style.

[quote]Electric_E wrote:
Any suggestions or links for good tats please.
[/quote]

I am going to get one of a butterfly with a clown face or a ladybug waving a rainbow flag. I haven’t decided yet. We should get matching tats and be tat-buddies.

Get one of you over your entire body, but two inches taller.

Look around this website:

http://modblog.bmezine.com/

it has tattoos, piercings and other body modifications. It should help you see the range of things available and different styles/trends from around the world. There is also great information on techniques and care for tattoos.

Warning: not going to be safe for work, small children, the squeamish and prudes.

You want to use a reputable tattoo artist who does the style of tattoo you want. This is not the time to look for a bargain.

Get one of those neck tatoos; those are becoming extremely popular with all the cool kids.

It would be unique if someone had random brand logos tattooed all over their body. McDonalds, Adidas, Nike, Apple, Lego, Under Armor, Burger King, T-Nation, etcetera.

[quote]sen say wrote:
Get one of you over your entire body, but two inches taller.[/quote]

lol…wtf…dont be giving your secrets away now

[quote]Mikaj wrote:
It would be unique if someone had random brand logos tattooed all over their body. McDonalds, Adidas, Nike, Apple, Lego, Under Armor, Burger King, T-Nation, etcetera.[/quote]

Unique? Probably. Retarded? Definitely.

However, I have hard of several name brands being willing to pay several thousand dollars for you to get their logo tattooed somewhere prominent on your body. I might think about doing that… if I was homeless.

[quote]Mikaj wrote:
It would be unique if someone had random brand logos tattooed all over their body. McDonalds, Adidas, Nike, Apple, Lego, Under Armor, Burger King, T-Nation, etcetera.[/quote]

Its been done—I think as a challenge to copyright laws. It is like the codes to unlock DVDs

[quote]Electric_E wrote:
I am looking having a tattoo done but reading the recent threads and speaking to my mates, there does not seem to be anything you can have done that is still ‘respectable’
[/quote]

I hope you aren’t taking my ‘bad tattoos’ rant-thread seriously. Get whatever you like, who cares what’s ‘respectable?’

[quote]Dirty_Bulk wrote:
Get whatever you like, who cares what’s ‘respectable?’[/quote]

Agreed. A tattoo is supposed to mean something to YOU. If you’re getting a tattoo primarily with other people’s opinions in mind, then you shouldn’t be getting a tattoo.

The only tattoos I warn against are those that are just meaningless designs that somebody thinks ‘look cool’. I think something as permanent as a tatoo should have some personal meaning/significance, not some doodle you think looks interesting.