Injury Question

Doing barbell shrugs last night. I was well warmed up. About my fourth rep got a sharp pain in my back. Top of the lats mostly on the right. Man it still hurts and can hardly turn at the waist.

Can’t get into the docs till tomorrow so I was just looking for thoughts or comments about what it might be. I thought I might have broke a rib somehow but the load was not that heavy on my first set.

Was hoping to have a good week with my last bottle of Mag-10 :frowning:

Not much info to go on. I’m not quite sure what you mean by top of the lat. If it doesn’t hurt to breath in and out you most likely didn’t break a rib. Did you hurt it in the down postion or at the top of the movement? Most common would be some type of muscle or joint sprain/strain. I would suggest that you ice the area for 15-20 minutes every 1-2 hours for the next couple days. If you don’t have any adverse reactions to Advil or Aleve and you don’t have any type of GI or kidney problems, you can take either one for the next several days. Advil (ibuprofen) you can take 600 mg every 4-6 hours or Aleve (naproxen) you can take 400-500 mg every 8-10 hours. Avoid any heat to the area for at leat 72 hours. This should help until you can see your doc. Keep us posted