T Nation

Injury Prevention/Pre-hab Knees

OK guys, if rotator cuff training is injury prevention/pre-hab work for the shoulder joint/capsule and supporting muscles…

what is the exercise equivalent for the knee joint/ligaments?

I train rotators twice a week and think this has benefited me greatly so I was wondering what one would do for the same purposes but with the knees…

Thanks

Could it be vastus medialis training? This depends on what you do, but runners and cyclists can have weak VMO in contrast to lateralis.

Speaking for my part only, I have found quad stretches to be the most important factor in knee health.

Unfortunately, the nature of the stability of the shoulders and knees are much different. First, the knee is a much more stable structure than the shoulder. Also, at the shoulder, stability is enhanced by BOTH musculature and ligamentous structures, whereas the knees are more reliant on ligaments (ACL, MCL, PCL, LCL). Your best bet is just to focus on flexibility and balance between the extensors and flexors.

Cressey et all,

Is there anytihng you can do to strengthen the ligs of the knees?

It seems as if everyone is always having some type of lig problem, can any of this be avoided?

Interesting question. I have noticed in the past when I trained with more infrequent workouts and less volume I had much more trouble with the knees then I do now even though the total volume of everything (weights, sprints, gpp etc.) is a lot higher which really doesn’t make a lot of sense. I’d say there’s definitely a place for doing light feeder workouts and other activity in addition to your heavy weight training workouts to get blood into the muscles and to help repair and regenerate tendons, ligaments and other tissues. I had quadriceps tendonitis for 2 years in both knees that finally resolved when I began doing rope skipping. The ligaments, tendons and such need more volume and lower intensity to strengthen and regenerate than the muscles. If you’re only squatting once per week and doing nothing else there is a chance that your muscles could get really strong while your supporting structures actually weaken.