Injury: Outer Elbow

Hi,
I’m new to this website. I was searching around for diet articles, and found some real pearls, but now have this “burning” question.

Has anyone ever injured the outer part of the elbow, where it begins to wrap around the foream (extensor)? It hurts like Hell when, for example, I grab a weighted object with my grip, say a weight plate, and then curl it up pronated. FWIW: it doe

I am training hard and heavy 5 days a week, and recently began doing Olympic barbell reverse curls to blast my forearms. I’ve also added John Brookfield pinch-grip plate work for grip (extensors/flexors). I felt fine while on this routine for some weeks, but now, while resting, it hurts and burns.

Someone at the gym said it may be “tennis elbow”. Eh? Think So? Should I lower the rep ranges down to say, 8 (I’m doing 4-5 sets balls-out intensity at 10 reps for arms… where my last rep is literally… the last rep). Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I’ve had the same problem for 2 years and have gone to 7 doctors each with the same answer. “Ah, we don’t know what it is.” I’ve had to stop lifting heavy and have gone to 15 reps for curls and triceps. Sometimes it’s difficulst to bench. I’ve found that Warming up for about 15 min with light weight for just the upper body has helpled.

[quote]phlax wrote:
Hi,
I’m new to this website. I was searching around for diet articles, and found some real pearls, but now have this “burning” question.

Has anyone ever injured the outer part of the elbow, where it begins to wrap around the foream (extensor)? It hurts like Hell when, for example, I grab a weighted object with my grip, say a weight plate, and then curl it up pronated. FWIW: it doe

I am training hard and heavy 5 days a week, and recently began doing Olympic barbell reverse curls to blast my forearms. I’ve also added John Brookfield pinch-grip plate work for grip (extensors/flexors). I felt fine while on this routine for some weeks, but now, while resting, it hurts and burns.

Someone at the gym said it may be “tennis elbow”. Eh? Think So? Should I lower the rep ranges down to say, 8 (I’m doing 4-5 sets balls-out intensity at 10 reps for arms… where my last rep is literally… the last rep). Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
[/quote]

It does sound like tennis elbow, or tendonitis. Back off on any exercise that aggravates it for a couple of weeks and ice it as much as possible. Tendonitis commonly takes a very long time to heal. I,ve had it in my left elbow, both lateral and medial, for about 9 months now. After a lot of physical therapy and some adjustments in my weight training program, its almost gone.

Good luck!

You got to de-load a bit and go compound for a couple of weeks, meanwhile get a tennis ball and squeeze it a couple of times a day for a week, also do rubber band finger extensions…

Thanks-
I went for intense icing and put two rest days in between and that improved it quite considerably. Today I did Deadlifts (primary) then some (finishing) lateral Medial Delts and Seated Calf Raises and had no problems whatsoever. Tonight, it feels about 80% better.

Good advice. For the next month, I’m going to insert two rest days in between try heavy compound workouts:
Mon
Thurs
Sun

Hopefully, that nips it in the bud.

I work at a sports medicine clinic and I have had the same thing happen when I started doing alot of hardcore grip work. Technically you do have “tennis elbow”, the common name for lateral epicondilitis (forgive my spelling its 6 am sunday), or at least the treatment protocol would be pretty much similar to how lateral epicondilitis is treated. Basicly your doing the right thing by taking it back a tad and icing it.

Another thing you should try doing which is what helped me and keeps it at bay is stretching the muscle. If your arm was extended straight out in front of you with the palm facing down, use your other hand to bend the hand downward (finger tips ppointing down, palm facing your body), then rotating your hand counter-clockwise (carefully of course) will hit that one muscle on the money. Do that stretch every so often or hell even once it will probably not bother you again as badly if at all. Just my 5 cents. Laters

[quote]damienwolf wrote:
I work at a sports medicine clinic and I have had the same thing happen when I started doing alot of hardcore grip work. Technically you do have “tennis elbow”, the common name for lateral epicondilitis (forgive my spelling its 6 am sunday), or at least the treatment protocol would be pretty much similar to how lateral epicondilitis is treated. Basicly your doing the right thing by taking it back a tad and icing it.

Another thing you should try doing which is what helped me and keeps it at bay is stretching the muscle. If your arm was extended straight out in front of you with the palm facing down, use your other hand to bend the hand downward (finger tips ppointing down, palm facing your body), then rotating your hand counter-clockwise (carefully of course) will hit that one muscle on the money. Do that stretch every so often or hell even once it will probably not bother you again as badly if at all. Just my 5 cents. Laters[/quote]

excellent suggestion. i tried that this morning… right on the money… fortunately, today it’s nearly 90% recovred, and the stretch actually had that “good pain” feeling… like those fibers in there are reminding and thanking me at the same time.

thanks for the help everyone.