Injury Free2Be

I’ve spent most of my life lifting weights. I started out wanting to look like Arnold and Stallone, I grew up watching, Commando, Rambo, Rocky, Red Heat and any other action movie I could see a huge guy showing muscle.

I loved football, basketball and track growing up. My first injuries were my shoulders subluxing as a football player, then my senior year I broke my Tib/Fib. In late 2000 I was in a nasty car accident, my upper back still gives me issues because of it.

Since then I’ve had more injuries. I did one strongman contest and got second place, I beat my training partner then and he was much stronger than me. I loved it. I then started working overseas and started getting fairly strong when I started getting injured a lot.

I followed several authors many of whom said training whole body times x amount of days a week, I followed one author who said train above 90% most of the time. These things worked, but they also got me injured.

This log is for me, but if you can learn from it or enjoy it or just want to call me a pussy feel free.

This is the road back…
I’ve spent over two years getting healthy and have lost a lot of weight all muscle doing it. I believe my body is ready.

I’ll be doing three days a week. Tuesday Chest/Tris, Thursday Back/Bis, and Saturday Legs

I have one leg shorter than the other so my leg day will consist of one ME two leg exercise and the rest will be unilateral movements. This will save my back and knees un-needed stress.

I expect big things in strength and muscle gains.

I have to thank everyone who has given me input. maraudermeat helped me see and put in concrete some of the things I did wrong. Thanks Meat.

I’ll start posting training Tuesday.

04-05-2009

I decided to start Today rather than Tuesday.

Squats wide

45x10, 135x10, 155x5, 205x5
225x5
225x4
225x3
225x3
225x3 easy
225x3 3rd was a slight grind

Focus is on depth, form, staying tight and finding groove.

I expect the numbers to go up fast.

Rev. Lung 5x10 15lb weight in opposite hand

King DL 5x10 15lb weight in opposite hand last two sets no weight

1 leg curl fitness ball 2 sets x max 1x6, 1x6 left leg weaker so did two reps after the two sets

1 leg ext 2 drop sets

1. 55x8, 40x4, 25x4, 10x4
  2. 55x7, 40x4, 25x4, 10x4

That was it. The squats are weak, but they will likely improve quickly.

I have not done squats in a few years so this felt great!

Legs feel good today.

Walked 20 minutes stretched.

Right shoulder felt a little achy but after walking and stretching feels a lot better.

Tomorrow is back or bench, depends on how the shoulder feels.

Shoulder felt like shit yesterday and not much better today. I decided to do upper back work and abbreviated at that.

1 Armed Row
60x8, 60x8, 75x5, 75x5
80x5
80x5
80x4
80x3
80x3

Pulldown/row machine
45’s x10, 10, 10

Speed pulls
185x5, 5, 5

Weak, shitty

Lots of rain for weeks, been supplementing the D3 heavy but lack of sun is probably an issue.

Heya, pussy. Good to see your log.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Heya, pussy. Good to see your log. [/quote]

Love you too dear.

Today I walked in the sun did some stretching. Tomorrow pressing.

Hiya pussy, your other groupie is here.

How were the reverse lunges? That’s on my sched tomorrow courtesy of Ddot. I hope he’s there because I’m still not 100% how to do them.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Hiya pussy, your other groupie is here.

How were the reverse lunges? That’s on my sched tomorrow courtesy of Ddot. I hope he’s there because I’m still not 100% how to do them.[/quote]

Hey doll,

You girls are really warming my heart with all this pussy talk. My first groupies! Woo Hoo!

Rev. Lunges are great. I do all of them on one leg and then switch legs. As always keep the focus on the heel in the front leg. Really reach back with the back leg tightening the abs hard and then when you come up try to only use the front leg and slowly release air. A lot like box squats you don’t want to rock back nor do you want to rock your upper body forward. You want it to come from your ass and thigh.

I either keep my trailing leg on the ground dragging it forward or I lift it. Lifting it is harder forcing you to contract hard with the working leg, your abs and your glutes. As always flex your ass hard at the top. If this is an exercise you are not used to your ass should feel it really well.

I hope that helps.

4-10-09

20 minute walk, stretches, upper back and shoulder warm up

Arnold press 20’s x 15

Push press 115x5, 135x5, 145x5, 5, 4, 3, 3 (I expected 165 to be my working sets)

Incline 3/4 reps to neck middle finger on rings
barx10, 95x10, 105x10, 115x10, 10, 9

DB Bench
50x9, 50x7 (I expected at least 10 reps)

DB extensions
15lbsx15, 13, 10 (never had good numbers here)

Dismal numbers.

Notes: bad sleep past three nights, hottest day of year

I totally get the being bitten by the injury bug. The important part is that you aren’t giving up.

Now give’em hell.

[quote]Free2Be wrote:

Rev. Lunges are great. I do all of them on one leg and then switch legs. As always keep the focus on the heel in the front leg. Really reach back with the back leg tightening the abs hard and then when you come up try to only use the front leg and slowly release air. A lot like box squats you don’t want to rock back nor do you want to rock your upper body forward. You want it to come from your ass and thigh.

I either keep my trailing leg on the ground dragging it forward or I lift it. Lifting it is harder forcing you to contract hard with the working leg, your abs and your glutes. As always flex your ass hard at the top. If this is an exercise you are not used to your ass should feel it really well.

I hope that helps.
[/quote]

Thanks for the help. They kicked my ass. I only used 25lb dumb bells. I think I would have done better with a barbell because my hands and forearms started cramping holding the 'bells. However, I’ll stick to them because I’m trying, for the most part to de-load my spine for the next few weeks.

I also found it tough to keep my balance and my hips felt a bit pulled out particularly on the left side. As I went on in sets, I started stepping back and out more to take a bit of the stretch out of my hips.

I didn’t focus all that well on what I was supposed to be contracting because I was focusing on not falling on my ass. However, I lifted my bag leg rather than dragging it because I also did them off a low step. Those combined with GHRs have given me quite the painful arse today. I ended up doing my own version of soft tissue massage with a marble rolling pin on my living room floor.

Where are you at right now that you are getting the hottest day of the year?

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Free2Be wrote:

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the help. They kicked my ass. I only used 25lb dumb bells. I think I would have done better with a barbell because my hands and forearms started cramping holding the 'bells. However, I’ll stick to them because I’m trying, for the most part to de-load my spine for the next few weeks.

I also found it tough to keep my balance and my hips felt a bit pulled out particularly on the left side. As I went on in sets, I started stepping back and out more to take a bit of the stretch out of my hips.

I didn’t focus all that well on what I was supposed to be contracting because I was focusing on not falling on my ass. However, I lifted my bag leg rather than dragging it because I also did them off a low step. Those combined with GHRs have given me quite the painful arse today. I ended up doing my own version of soft tissue massage with a marble rolling pin on my living room floor.

Where are you at right now that you are getting the hottest day of the year?[/quote]

Only 25lb bells? Did you see I used 1 15lber in the opposite hand? IMO when working on hypertrophy it is better to focus on what you are contracting… Just something to think about. Good job, you are a very strong woman, heel you are stronger than any guy I’ve seen in my gym.

Hottest day of the year so far as in 2009. I’m in Afghanistan and the gym is a tent with two open ends. I’ll put a pic in my profile tomorrow so you can see it.

It was hot today and it is hard for me to get used to.

4-12-09

Squat day, been looking forward to it since a few hours after the first one!

Shoulders have been crazy fucking sore for about two weeks. They actually feel better right now. I’ll see how they feel tomorrow.

10 min walk hip drills, upper back warm up.

Squats
135x10, 185x5, 225x4 warm up more next week
245x5 tough but good form
245x5 very tough but good form
245x4 1st 3 easy 4 lost some tightness
245x5 5th was a bit of a grind
245x4 very tough, v. good form

Rev lung weight in opposite hand
25lbs x10, 25lbs x10, 0lbs x10

King DL
0lbs x10, 10, 10 almost threw up the last two sets

Fitness ball leg curls
1x6, 1x6
left leg is weaker

1 leg extensions
Drop sets 55x12, 40x4, 25x4, 10x4 set 1
Drop sets 55x10, 40x4, 25x4, 10x4 set 2
burn out 25x12 ea leg

Although not great weight I am feeling fucking great about the improvement in weight and sets and form.

BTW all this is done no, no, no. Not that you’d think anything else.

Notes: Slept in, lived on Metabolic Drive barsx3, Post workout shake. I’ll eat big at dinner and midnight chow if I’m awake. This is unusual, but circumstances got in the way.

[quote]Free2Be wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
Free2Be wrote:

I hope that helps.

Only 25lb bells? Did you see I used 1 15lber in the opposite hand? IMO when working on hypertrophy it is better to focus on what you are contracting… Just something to think about. Good job, you are a very strong woman, heel you are stronger than any guy I’ve seen in my gym.

Hottest day of the year so far as in 2009. I’m in Afghanistan and the gym is a tent with two open ends. I’ll put a pic in my profile tomorrow so you can see it.

It was hot today and it is hard for me to get used to.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. My problem is less the weight than the general spasticness and concentrating on not falling on my ass. Who’d believe I used to be a gymnast?

Today I’m doing bulgarian split squats so we’ll see if I can do that without killing myself.

On reverse lunges do you generally only have the weight in the opposite hand as opposed to both hands?

It’d be great to see a picture. How long are you over there?

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Free2Be wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
Free2Be wrote:

I hope that helps.

It was hot today and it is hard for me to get used to.

Thanks for the advice. My problem is less the weight than the general spasticness and concentrating on not falling on my ass. Who’d believe I used to be a gymnast?

Today I’m doing bulgarian split squats so we’ll see if I can do that without killing myself.

On reverse lunges do you generally only have the weight in the opposite hand as opposed to both hands?

It’d be great to see a picture. How long are you over there?[/quote]

The from will come if you concentrate on it and it will come quickly. Maybe next time you do them or the third time, I promise. I use the weight in the opposite hand because it helps with balance. I stay extremely tight and don’t use my trail leg at all.

Bulgarian Split Squats are awesome, but you’ll have that fall on your ass feeling for the first few weeks. Focus on dropping down in your hips not letting your body lean forward. It will stretch your hip flexors out in a huge way. The tighter you stay the better you will be. I fill the abs with air before every decent. I feel that the single leg work gets sloppy for a lot of trainees and filling the belly with air can help with that. Keeping a tight upper back, makes it harder, but makes the squats better. I really think that is why my squat will go up very quickly even though I have not squatted in around 2 years.

Been over here for over 4 years…good money and no jobs in the U.S.

First things first. Nice back Ouro, nice legs PMPM.

4-14-09

Walk 10 min some warm up

1 armed rows
65x5, 5, 5 75x5
90x5, 5, 4, 4, 4

Kroc Rows
90x13 Fuck me!

Pulldown/row machine
45’sx10, 10, 10

Chins max set x10

Speed pulls
135x8, 185x3, 3, 3

Cable high position shrugs
some x some stole that from meat

Hammer curls
some x some

Good Shit!

Back flys

15x15, 12, 10

Notes:

Raining, tent closed up and hot and humid as a mo’ fo’ I was glad it was not leg day!

Kroc rows were great, but an every other week thing. After warm up, shoulders felt good, still do. They felt OK yesterday, they felt horrible Sunday after cooling down.

Is there a particular reason you named your log after me?

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Is there a particular reason you named your log after me?[/quote]

Actually I didn’t.

I’m a lanky mother fucker and that is why I named the log that. Didn’t even know you existed.

[quote]JoeGood wrote:
I totally get the being bitten by the injury bug. The important part is that you aren’t giving up.

Now give’em hell.[/quote]

Thanks Joe

4-16-2009

Walk 15 min at more higher intensity that normal

Today was chest day, but anterior shoulders have been sore for two weeks. The injury king played it safe and just decided to do rehab and blood flow work.

pushup and scapular variations along with hip flexor stretches.

some x some or lots x lots

Pushups and chin ups

some x some

Arnold press 30’s x 10, 10

Lateral pitcher raises pause at top

5lbsx12, 10lbsx10, 15lbsx10+5lbsx12

good pump during sets two and three

Face Pulls
65x12, 12, 12

Rope Push downs

30x15, 15 35x8
DONE!

Hot again, hotter than before…yesterday cold and rainy. Not adjusted yet.