T Nation

Injuries Piling Up: Different Program or Work Around?

I've been on a mass-gain program since the end of May. since then I've had the following injuries:

• right groin pull (from trying to re-learn how to squat)
  • left shoulder sprain (didn't tuck my left elbow while benching)
  • left erector pull (from jackhammering deadlifts)
  • right lat (rhomboid?) pull (from trying to do a pullup without warming up first)

I try to execute "the perfect rep" every time but I guess now that my weights have gone up, every little mistake turns into an injury. maybe I should switch to something "lighter" like GVT? up til now, I warm up to my 5RM for whatever movement I'm doing then pyramid down in weight, still doing 5RM up to 100 reps for the movement.

100 reps per movement is a lot of volume, and could be partially to blame for your injuries. This is OK to include in your cycle, but I would not do this every day. For strength and mass gain, keep most days in the 5-6 rep range for your heavy lifts, with no more than 4-5 sets per movement, and 20 sets total per bodypart. If any movement causes you pain - stop. You are doing something wrong and need to fix form, or possibly your body mechanics are not right for that movement and you will need to switch technique or remove that completely. Always give youself a light week once every month or so to deload and let your body heal. A good part of this game is trial and error when it comes to finding what works for you without inducing injury.

ok thanks for the advice, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't chickening out by decreasing load. seems like 8 weeks is what I can manage at that load before injuries start to happen.

There is nothing wrong with higher reps.

Heal as quickly as you can, then train smarter next time.

I can't imagine doing 100 heavy squats 3 times a week without getting an injury eventually. I also don't get how one could do 100 squats in a day? 10 sets of 10?

Things that help with avoiding injury: proper warm up, stretching/flexibility/mobility, foam rolling, massages, ice, warm/cold/contrast showers, food, sleep.

Besides that, if something hurts, warm up. See how it feels. Does it hurt less? Start your normal reps, does it hurt the same? keep working out. Does it hurt more as you warm up? STOP

Also watch on a training day by training day basis. Does an injury hurt less this day compared to the last time I trained? Or to the last week? If it hurts less then keep doing what you are doing, if it hurts more you need to change something.

Then there are also injuries that just happen suddenly, not much you can do about those besides having good form, enough flexibility and good warm up and proper recovery overall. Don't be surprised if you do everything right but sleep 2hours a day and then you get injured...

maybe deloading would help. if you find yourself getting injured around the 8th week then maybe try taking a deload week around week 6 or 7. lighten the load and focus on form for a week. give your joints / ligaments / muscles a bit of a breather then resume after a week. might be worth a try...

though... you have learned something from each of your injuries - right??

By "execute the perfect rep" on everything, you're referring to CT's idea where you lift the weight as fast and forcefully as possible, then lower it as fast as possible, and basically just jerk the weight at the bottom to try and reverse it's direction with as much shearing force as you can??

Yeah I don't know why you keep getting injured. Must not be foam rolling enough.

lol yes this could be why. all that force is annihilating my joints after 12 weeks. not saying there's anything wrong with it, but CT has deload weeks and changes in the routine where I don't. I'm thinking of cutting my volume in half and working with machines for my upper body pressing for maybe 4 weeks, still using my 5RM but with a slower tempo and see how my shoulders feel. I noticed that when I'm on my stomach and I support my weight on my elbows, my shoulders feel "loose", and I can't execute a side-arm throwing motion comfortably.

x2 slow down the reps. A lot of CTs trainees seem to get injured

edit: I'm not blasting CT or anyone, as it's clear that I've taken a sound training principle and misapplied it.

I can see why after grinding the shit out of my shoulder joints. btw for anyone (especially newbs) who think maybe this could've been avoided with enough warming up, I always warm up quite a bit. for example, on shoulder days:

3x10 machine lateral raises (slow, with a hold/squeeze at the top)
5 lb shoulder complex
- 10 big, slow arm circles forward and backward with tension on the lats
- 10 smaller, slow side arm circles with tension on the medial deltoid
-10 small, slow front arm circles with tension on the front deltoid
- 10 bent-over rear deltoid flyes (hold/squeeze at the top)
- 6-8 bent-over Y-flips (delts are starting to burn by now)
stretch
5 dead-hang pullups (hold/squeeze at the top)
overhead press 25# plate, 3x8-10
stretch
overhead press 45# plate, 3x5-6
stretch

then work up the rack to 5RM for seated db shoulder press. I keep my elbows tucked in a bit, they're probably pointed somewhere between 30-45*.

trained chest today. as long as I didn't abduct (?) >30* from midline I only experienced slight discomfort on HS incline/flat press and dips. I accelerated slowly on the concentric portion and decelerated slowly on the eccentric, going more slowly as I reached the bottom, without problems. the discomfort was only in my left shoulder and was most notable as I reached full abduction on flyes.

I'll try to train back later and see how my right lat feels, but while I was warming up today I was able to superset a straight-arm lat pulldown and a low rope row np.

Like you said, if you were following the perfect rep correctly the volume would be lower. High intensity + high volume = good injuries :slightly_smiling:

Plus, you do not work up to your MAX anything (failure), you stop the exercise as soon as it slows down or form goes off (as far as I remember, it's called the "max force point").

That's your issues ^

I used a 5RM as a reference point, whenever I felt like the next rep was going to be slower, I rested. so reps from the beginning might look like 8-7-6-6-5-4-deload

edit: did 3 sets of dead-stop db rows at 90% of my usual weight, the sets went 11-9-5 before I felt like my left erector was telling me to back off. did another 3 ramped sets 11-9-6 (90%-100%-110% of db row) of dead-stop HS low row before I started reaching technical failure. finished off with some rope straight arm pulldown/low row supersets for a pump. so far my left erector has a slight throb to it but no pain. hopefully that's still the case tomorrow morning...

No offense but this sounds like a really fucking stupid way to train.

Maybe you should consider, oh I don't know... just training like a normal person.

I did consider it and like I said before, I took a training principle and grossly misapplied it. I got results but they came with a high price.

I'm looking into DC training but the MWF A1-B1-A2/B1-A1-B2 split doesn't jive with my work schedule.

edit: I'll look into 2 day splits on here.

also, I just realized that the reason why I was able to do so many reps was because I was investing relatively little energy into the eccentric portion of the lifts. dohhhhhhh

It has to be a fast controlled eccentric where you still keep a full contraction/or as much contraction as possible, just dropping the weight as fast as possible isn't getting the benefit of the eccentric and will most likely cause injury.....takes alot of practice/experience although easier with higher weigh but also more likelyhood of injury.