T Nation

Injured SIJ: Routine for 3 Weeks

Hi friends,

I have injured my SI joint and gave been told to take it easy for 4-6 weeks. Although Im hoping I will be fully recovered in 3.

I have been doing 531 BBB for the past 3 months, but due to my latest injury and a few other factors, I have decided that my goals are now align towards been "slimmer, agile, athletic and powerful", rather than "big, big and powerful". I also want to get proficient at bodyweight movements.

Anyway, I need a program to keep me busy for at least 3 weeks while I keep off this SI joint. Im not too sure how to program it as just about everything effects the joint.

I am thinking of using: push-up's, pull-ups, dips, dB bench press, lateral raises, chest supported rows, face-pulls, and maybe even some planking and calf work if the back holds up.

Any suggestions how I can program this all into a 3-4 day split, as I have no idea? I will be doing reps of 8+, as I don't want to risk blowing up my back with any more with any quick explosive moves.

Thanks in advance.

tweet

I would just do upper/off/upper/off etc until you can do the fun stuff again.

In the meantime, bird dogs, bird dogs and more bird dogs.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

In the meantime, bird dogs, bird dogs and more bird dogs.[/quote]
Thanks mate.

I will get onto those bird dogs as soon as the back allows it.

Any suggestions on how to program my upper body days. Just do all of those exercises I listed for 3 sets of 8??

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

In the meantime, bird dogs, bird dogs and more bird dogs.[/quote]
Thanks mate.

I will get onto those bird dogs as soon as the back allows it.

Any suggestions on how to program my upper body days. Just do all of those exercises I listed for 3 sets of 8??

tweet[/quote]

can’t you do bird dogs now? You’re in a quadraped position so there shouldn’t be any strain on your back. Bird dogs, stir the pot and side planks are the 3 go to exercises by McGill for lower back rehab. You’re probably not ready for the planks or stp yet.

Yeah, I’d just superset the push/pulls and the arms/shoulder stuff. Something like:

-dumbell bench/row (careful getting the bells in position. Lie face down on an incline bench and do the rows that way if you don’t have access to a designated piece of kit)
-dips/pull ups
-lateral raises/triceps stuff (consider lying with your chest against a bench on a very high incline for the laterals)
-rear delt exercises/biceps stuff (unless you’re doing face pulls as your rear delt exercise, in which case I’d superset them with pushdowns and laterals with curls. In your position you might be better lying face down on a bench and doing rear delt flyes than doing face pulls)

In any case, it gives you some time to concentrate on upper body. I’d throw in things like YTWLIs and such.

Hope that helps!

A
Push Up
Chest Supported Row
Dumbbell Bench
Rear Delt Raise

B
Pull Ups
Dips
Lateral Raises
Face Pull

Week 1
A B A

Week 2
B A B A

Week 3
B A B A B A

It will be super boring, so be sure to add whatever else you can handle. If you’ve been doing BBB try to do as much one arm stuff as possible. Use different grips or hand positions or bench angles on rows and presses. Use cables for delt raises every once in awhile. Sometimes do pushups with a puase at the bottom, or scap-style pushups.

Use these couple weeks as an extended deload, and concentrate on getting a little variety in your movements that you didn’t get on BBB. Don’t worry about getting really strong, think about being more agile and moving smoother.

[quote]Yogi wrote:
can’t you do bird dogs now? Bird dogs, stir the pot and side planks are the 3 go to exercises by McGill for lower back rehab. You’re probably not ready for the planks or stp yet.

Yeah, I’d just superset the push/pulls and the arms/shoulder stuff. Something like:

-dumbell bench/row (careful getting the bells in position. Lie face down on an incline bench and do the rows that way if you don’t have access to a designated piece of kit)
-dips/pull ups
-lateral raises/triceps stuff (consider lying with your chest against a bench on a very high incline for the laterals)
-rear delt exercises/biceps stuff (unless you’re doing face pulls as your rear delt exercise, in which case I’d superset them with pushdowns and laterals with curls. In your position you might be better lying face down on a bench and doing rear delt flyes than doing face pulls)

In any case, it gives you some time to concentrate on upper body. I’d throw in things like YTWLIs and such.

Hope that helps![/quote]
Sure does help buddy.

Im still a little sore/awkward, but by tomorrow I think I will have enough movement to get back into the gym. I will give bird dogs a shot, although will obviously stop if I feel any pain/discomfort.

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
A
Push Up
Chest Supported Row
Dumbbell Bench
Rear Delt Raise

B
Pull Ups
Dips
Lateral Raises
Face Pull

Week 1
A B A

Week 2
B A B A

Week 3
B A B A B A

It will be super boring, so be sure to add whatever else you can handle. If you’ve been doing BBB try to do as much one arm stuff as possible. Use different grips or hand positions or bench angles on rows and presses. Use cables for delt raises every once in awhile. Sometimes do pushups with a puase at the bottom, or scap-style pushups.

Use these couple weeks as an extended deload, and concentrate on getting a little variety in your movements that you didn’t get on BBB. Don’t worry about getting really strong, think about being more agile and moving smoother.[/quote]
Thanks FarmerBird.

I think this is the routine that I will use, starting tomorrow afternoon. I all keep you updated on how it goes.

tweet