Injured Myself... Sleeping

This sounds pretty stupid but here goes.

I was half awake this morning. Can’t remember exactly, but I sort of rolled over from right to left, my right arm reaching across my body. I felt a pull under my right scapula.

Now it’s very tight & quite sore. Twisting my head from side to side is a little painful. Trying to move it down to the left (ear to shoulder) is VERY painful.

Any ideas what the hell I’ve done and what I can do to fix it?

similar situation with me…

twice within a month and a half, i have pulled/strained? the two major muscles between my shoulder blades…(sorry, i cant recall the proper name)

all i was doing was waking up, and stretching both of my arms up over my head… feels almost like they are cramping, but doesnt go away…

it took about 2 days for the soreness to go away… i have no idea why it is so easy to cause this type of injury, but yeah, it sucks… i took ibuprofin since it is an anti-inflammatory

[quote]oldskinnyfat wrote:
This sounds pretty stupid but here goes.

Now it’s very tight & quite sore. Twisting my head from side to side is a little painful. Trying to move it down to the left (ear to shoulder) is VERY painful.

Any ideas what the hell I’ve done and what I can do to fix it?[/quote]

same thing happend to me a few months ago. relax, and it will loosen up on its own in about 3 days. dont try to force it in the direction that hurts because it will just spasm and the pain can be excruciating. I too just woke up one morning with the inability to turn my head in one direction without shooting pain and spasms that would make my whole body shudder with pain. it was a pain from the top of my trap to my shoulder blade.

I went to my chiro that morning sure that I had some massive injury, and he called it myofacitis? basically a viscious stiff neck. intense heat, and the electrode therapy worked well to loosen it up, it would give me a little more freedom of movement immediately after the sessions. The bottom line is if you had what I had, it went away on its own within 3 days or so, each day much better than the last.

No shrugs for you for a couple of days.

^^ agreed, if it is not agonising just leave it, try some warm showers. It should loosen up.

Since we are exchanging stories, beat this: about 8 months ago I woke up at about 5 in the morning with a (sublux) dislocated shoulder. It was stuck above my head - thought it was a frozen shoulder until I knelt in front of a piece of furniture and then stood up to get it down as it were.

Ooooooh, shiiiiiit.

Not a nice way to start the day - in fact I almost puked but it went back in nicely though. Crunch/pop…

ice it 2x a day and roll around on a tennis ball. It should be loose within 24-48 hours.

DB

happens to me a couple times a year… amazing how you can get thru deadlifting or squatting without a problem… and then you pull something in your neck or back while you’re asleep. It goes away on its own within a week, but usually when something is wrong in my neck or back, I get impatient and go to the chiro as that one adjustment is key gets everything back where it should be right away… accelerating the healing process so minor injuries like this are usually much better in a day or two

I actually frequently wake up to clavicle pain/soreness that goes away after 30mins. Probably has something to do with how I prefer to sleep. On the chest with head towards the left.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
ice it 2x a day and roll around on a tennis ball. It should be loose within 24-48 hours.

DB[/quote]

Agreed, and some ibuprofen to reduce swelling would be good too.

I woke up one morning and couldnt turn my neck,doc said i pinched a nerve in my sleep.a tube of icy hot and it was fine.Kinda sounds like what you did