Injured Back During Deads

I just felt a sudden pain in the middle of my back at the top of a deadlift. I guess I rounded out a touch and bam.

It feels really tight and a little painful at the moment - kind of a constant ache. Pain & tightness increases somewhat when I twist my torso and also when its fully flexed.

Any guesses what I’ve done?

While I’m at it - anyone think it’s a good idea to have an injuries/rehab/prehab type forum of some sort?

[quote]MookJong wrote:

While I’m at it - anyone think it’s a good idea to have an injuries/rehab/prehab type forum of some sort? [/quote]

Nah mate. You’ll be fine, you’ve got a spare spine right?

So don’t worry about it!

With luck maybe it is purely muscular. However, don’t mess around with your back, get in there and have it looked at.

Get to a chiropractor stat!

I have had an incident wear I was hit by searing back pain (while doign military presses)…and the Dr had me on the road to recovery quickly. I felt normal within 2 weeks. I continued light lifting to keep everything limber.

[quote]MookJong wrote:
I just felt a sudden pain in the middle of my back at the top of a deadlift. I guess I rounded out a touch and bam.

It feels really tight and a little painful at the moment - kind of a constant ache. Pain & tightness increases somewhat when I twist my torso and also when its fully flexed.

Any guesses what I’ve done?

While I’m at it - anyone think it’s a good idea to have an injuries/rehab/prehab type forum of some sort? [/quote]

My advice from personal experience is to get to a chiropractor as soon as possible. When I injured my back last summer, I had terrible back spasms the next day. I couldn’t do anything but lay flat on my back. I got help.

Good Luck.

I did the exact same thing today doing 10x3 on deads. On the last rep of the eigth set I felt a sharp pain in the middle of my back, ever-so-slightly offset to the right. I finished the 10 sets, then did a few weighted chins and bent rows, each supersetted with some tricep work. I guess that wasn’t the brightest thing I’ve done this week given the fact that it felt like I was being stabbed whenever I took a deep breath.

I’m almost positive it’s a muscle injury, but I’m going to talk to my High School’s athletic trainer to get more input (I’m a high school coach). I don’t see any need to get too worried about it… this type of thing happens to all athletes. Just be smart, and you’ll be back to doing heavy deads in no time.

[quote]bama2 wrote:
I did the exact same thing today doing 10x3 on deads. On the last rep of the eigth set[/quote]

Was the last rep of the 8th set of 10x3 for me too - scary.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I spose I’d better get to a chiro asap. It does feel muscular but it’s good to hear it from others too: I quite enjoy having the use of my legs and would like that to continue.

The same thing happened to me last month. The pain was brutal for about 3 or 4 days, then it abruptly went away. I rested A LOT during that week, and didn’t train at all, as I couldn’t lift anything without seizing up. Doctors will tell you to give it a few days of rest before going to see them. If the pain persists after a few days, I’d go see a doctor or chiropractor.