T Nation

Injured back and Possibly Pinched Nerve

Not to long ago my back popped while doing incline bench. It wasnt a heavy weight in fact I was doing my warm up. Maby 215 if that and when I racked the bar I felt a weird popping sound either in my back or possibly neck. It didn’t hurt but I instantly got a lightheaded Sensation that hasn’t seemed to go away.

I’ve been lifting heavily for about 5 and half years and feel as though I’m knowlegable of proper technique and have lifted almost twice the weight on incline so I’m not sure what really went wrong. Since this injury I’ve seen a few doctors and after extensive X-rays and MRIs the doctors are still drawing blanks on what it could be.

A couple thoughts were a CSF leak meaning the cerebrospinal fluid that travels from your back to brain could be protruding through a tear inbetween a vertebrae. This causing the dizzyness and headache a may be experiencing. The problem is it’s hard to check for and requires a spinal tap for testing of CSF pressure.

Was wondering if anybody else has any knowledge or experience with this? Since the dizzyness started I’ve continued to hit the gym and finished my PCTs. And it seems working out is the only thing that stops the dizzyness, and will come back about an hour after I’ve left. It’s just really unexplainable, and I’m looking for any insight anyone might have whose experienced this or has any ideas to what might be going on?

… Some more background, I’ve been going the gym and training heavily for the past 4 years of my life and also have been in two pretty serious car accidents resulting in deviated septum in nose broken eye socket, jaw and some bad whiplash. Also have been fighting for a local academy of combat MMA since 2010 so sustained quite a bit of head and neck trauma.

Any thoughts or anyone whose experienced anything like this would be greatly appreciated. Also I’m new to this forum just switched from the elite fitness board…glad to be here

Are u positive it is related to the spine and not something inner ear? I get spring allergies and if don’t take my nasal spray I get vertigo. Does it happen if you turn your head quickly?

[quote]Shawnzep wrote:
Are u positive it is related to the spine and not something inner ear? I get spring allergies and if don’t take my nasal spray I get vertigo. Does it happen if you turn your head quickly?[/quote]
Thanks for the reply Shawnzep, you could be absolutely right and I ended up seeing an ent doctor who told me it probably is from my injury. The weird thing is I have ringing in my ears as well, I’m not sure if that’s related… Did you ever have a test run or anything? And to answer your question yeah when I turn my head it seems to get worse.

Any spray you’d recommend? It would be great if it were something as simple as that to fix whatever’s going on. I’m just kinda running out of ideas on what it could be and if it’s even related to my back or neck. I dunno. Thanks again for the helpful response.

I take flonase. I had a lot of spring sinus congestion and plugged feeling ears for years from allergies but it got worse last year. I went to the doc because I was getting dizzy all the time. He said sinus and ear problems can cause that. Within a week of starting the flonase the swelling in there went down and I didn’t get dizzy anymore.

I take flonase. I had a lot of spring sinus congestion and plugged feeling ears for years from allergies but it got worse last year. I went to the doc because I was getting dizzy all the time. He said sinus and ear problems can cause that. Within a week of starting the flonase the swelling in there went down and I didn’t get dizzy anymore.

Damn well that’s definitely something I’ll look into, plus it wouldn’t cost a fortune to at least try. One other thing I’ve experienced is a kind of sensitivity to light, almost like a hangover. Did you have that at all? Might help narrow down my search.

I did not but sinus issues can cause all sorts of symptoms.