T Nation

Injection Site Issues

As I’ve discussed with several members here, I decided to inject SC after an extremely sore IM injection in VL (4-5 days it hurt just to walk). I’ve been SC for about two weeks now and EVERY injection site develops a local reaction: about 24 hours later it is swollen, red, low-grade discomfort, in a circular pattern about 2-3 inches wide.

I have been VERY careful to swab and not cross-contaminate. I am using single use syringes (.5" insulin as suggested) pinning test cyp EOD. I have used the exact same syringe (from same bulk package) for SC HCG injections with NO reaction. Test has been pinned in the anterior/upper thigh and HCG in the lower ab.

All the SC in thigh produced the inflammation described above then declined, but injection sites from 7-10 days ago are lumpy and just a little red. The last SC resulted in a more pronounced reaction of the same symptoms. I pinned my lower ab fat this AM with both HCG and test just to see if the region mattered. Nothing much has developed at the test site yet, but 24 hours is usually the onset; as usual HCG site is fine.

Has anyone had these reactions, even after knowing you are as sterile as possible with all your supplies? Could this be an allergy to the oil that is carrying the test? Has anyone actually had to switch to another brand/manufacturer after going through this, and the new product was fine or you still got this reaction?

I appreciate any in-site, as I’m getting very frustrated and concerned.

Thank you,

TopSirloin

If you are using T cyp, try T eth to get a different base oil. Make the phone call to your doc. Ask your pharmacist if T eth is available.

Do a CBC and look for elevated white blood cell counts, indicative of bacterial infection.

Take an allergy pill and see if that has any effect. There can be allergic responses to the base oil, quite rare but quite possible given your report.

If hCG site is good, that suggests that the problem is not from benzyl alcohol.

Inject a third location with a tiny amount of T and see if the reaction is dose proportionate.

TS, I have had the EXACT same reaction in the exact same locations every time I have injected since I switched to SC. Some are worse than others but so far all of them have had at least some red area that is firm underneath the surface. The reaction starts about 24 hours after the injection. My first SC injection was the worst. Yesterday’s injection site seems to be a lot more sore than the last couple.

I have been doing SC for about 2 weeks now. I do not have any reaction whatsoever with the HCG either. For reference, I was getting some lumps and soreness when I was injecting IM also, I just didn’t see any redness. I’m thinking its a minor allergic reaction and I will try some benydryl like KSman suggests. Also, I think that if it was an infection that the pin hole would be more reactive, but the pin holes seem to be fine.

KSman, it’s not enough data to see if it is dose proportionate or not, but yesterday I injected 64mg compared to the normal 50 and it does appear to be more of a reaction than the last couple at 50.

Let me know how the belly site works TS.

FWIW, I am using t-eth subq in my lower abdominal with zero issue - maybe ksman is on to something with the switch to t-eth

At about 30 hours since lower ab test cyp pin and have very little issues. Underneath the site I can feel a small nodule that is a little sore but not nearly the reaction on the legs - no redness, swelling or discomfort. How can thigh fat react but the ab fat almost nothing? I will stick w/ ab pinning and let you know if anything develops.

Update: the test I pinned in the lower ab fat reacted at only 25% (if that) of the pinning in the thigh… how weird. Same protocol, same load. At 48 hours there was a grape sized nodule of inflamed tissue, slightly tender, but again totally tolerable compared to thigh.

Yesterday’s admin was divided into two different sites about 3" apart, same total dose. 24hrs later even LESS inflammation (just a touch) than the previous single site ab shot. Its a prelim, but it might just be the total volume of oil is too much for some tissues and the more sites pinnined the less over-all reaction or at least the reaction is distributed and therefore that much more tolerable. I am considering jumping to another area such as the deltoid, although there is much less fat thickness there - I have a feeling it may react more like the thigh. But obviously my experience is showing that reaction is location dependent (BTW, my left thigh reacted 50% worse than the right?!?!)

After this supply is done, I may try enanthate just to see if there is any difference.

Thanks for the update TS. I am still having reactions in the thigh, but they seem to be abating faster and the last two didn’t turn red on the surface. The last injection was a bit more sore feeling but it didn’t lookas bad or feel as hard as it has in the past. We’ll see what today’s injection feels like tomorrow. I’m hoping I can continue in the thigh.

I had some reactions like this after my septic event at the hospital and IV anti-biotics. Now mostly gone. So there can be some transient effects in some situations.

Tried pinning slightly above navel a few inches and dividing the dose into two shots. So far the least reaction of any and breaking up the load of oil into two spots definitely helps.

Hey TS, I just wanted to share that I switched brands of cypionate and I have zero reaction in any site now. The first thing I noticed between the two brands is that the new one is crystal clear and the old one had a light yellowish tint to it. The new brand is made in Phoenix and uses a cottonseed oil base.

Please report brands. Test cyp is most always cottonseed oil based. Some T is built from soy and some from tropical yams. That could be the issue. Some react to soy proteins.

I do not know the brand of the first batch because it came in prefilled syringes, but the one I am using now was produced by Watson Pharmaceuticals’ Phoenix facility. I purchased it at one of the biggest named drugstores in the US for $108. (10ML- 200mg/ml)

Watson’s is considered a main line generic.

I’m not sure of the moderators would like it or not, but it seems like a sticky with brands, sources, prices, and reviews would be a good resource. We all have to go through this when we start. I know I am very happy finding a brand that works for me after 3.5 months of sore, red, hard lumps.

We can discuss Rx bands, and costs. We cannot discuss sources for gear and research chemicals. If you had been here for a few years you would know why.

Your prefilled syringes might have been contaminated. Who loaded them? Doctor’s office or pharmacist? Ask who and what. You have a right to know what your body cannot deal with.

If they preloaded with Watsons, the prefilled syringes were contaminated. The BA in the T cyp is bacteriostatic, and that should take action after loading, but that would not deal with any contamination of the needle. If you contaminate your own injection and have washed your hands etc, the bacteria involved can easily be a safer bet than bacterial contamination from a doctor’s office! There are sick people there.

[quote]KSman wrote:
your prefilled syringes might have been contaminated. Who loaded them? Doctor’s office or pharmacist? Ask who and what. You have a right to know what your body cannot deal with.[/quote]
They were filled at my Dr’s office in weekly doses. Then I switched to E3D and had to transfer from the prefilled to the insulin pins by back filling.

[quote]KSman wrote:
If they preloaded with Watsons, the prefilled syringes were contaminated. The BA in the T cyp is bacteriostatic, and that should take action after loading, but that would not deal with any contamination of the needle. If you contaminate your own injection and have washed your hands etc, the bacteria involved can easily be a safer bet than bacterial contamination from a doctor’s office! There are sick people there.[/quote]

I doubt that the original script was Watson’s due to the marked color difference between the two. My reactions were very uniform from shot to shot and resolved in a very consistent manner so I’m guessing we are not talking infections here. In addition, the actual pin hole was never discolored which further reinforces my belief that you were right when you suggested that is might be an allergic reaction.

An interesting side note about this Watson brand in me is that even though I get zero pain, itching, swelling, redness etc, the actual pin hole does turn a darker color than the previous unknown brand.

Press on the injection point right after injecting to stop blood loss, hold for 10-15 seconds. The vessels will close and there will be less of an issue with marks and bruising.

When you switched to EOD and back filling; did that make things worse?

[quote]KSman wrote:

When you switched to EOD and back filling; did that make things worse?[/quote]

It’s hard to say. The lumps were definitely more noticable and more palpable but I also got lumps when I was doing IM they were just deeper. Both took bout the same time to subside.,

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

For multi dose vials, mixed shelf life and bacterial growth are a major concern. If one has unit dose hCG, often in glass amps, if mixed and all is then injected or discarded, there is no role for benzyl alcohol. hCG is often supplied in these unit dose formats for use in female fertility, not intended for multi-dosing. [yes, you know that already - for the benefit of other readers]

Multi dose hCG with 0.9% benzyl alcohol will not allow bacterial growth, even if bacteria are introduced.

I always tell guys who obtain hCG that only contains the dry hCG, to use BA water. Otherwise one could become infected.