Inguinal Hernia

Hello Everyone,

Deadlifted for 455lb and bit off more than I could chew (was an idiot and went for it with bad form) and injured myself. Went to a doctor who misdiagnosed me, flash forward 4 months later and found I have an inguinal hernia on my left side. I’ve been lifting a little here or there prior to the diagnosis (upper body), but have taken a couple weeks off. I’m waiting to get on a PPO plan for insurance (joining a new company soon) so I have to hold off on surgery another month or two. Till then I was wondering if y’all could help me with the following (based on your own experience):

1. What exercises are ok to do while I’m waiting for surgery? I want to be smart, given now knowing its a hernia, so obviously don’t want to get it bigger. Are there any pre-rehab exercises that will help overall recovery when post-surgery?

2. I know there also a couple different types of surgeries for hernias. Is there one that maximizes recovery time/gets you back to your old self. I want to be at full power down the road (know it will take some time). Anyone here has any advice on this? Did you feel you were able to get back at it without increasing your chances of another hernia? I’m 28, in case age varies results at all.

Appreciate any help from the community. Thanks, Everyone!

How do you know it’s an inguinal hernia? Did you get a CT scan?
I’m asking because my groin has been hurting for 3 months now. My injury didn’t happen from deadlifting though, probably from sprinting and running everyday.
I got a CT scan done and nothing showed on the scan, the surgeon just told me to rest…but it has not healed yet.

As far as exercises, all I can do currently are pushing and pulling exercises.
Anything involving the core is a no-no for me. I can’t do push ups either.

Hope you get better.