Inguinal Hernia

Interesting to hear everyone’s experiences with this. I suppose being lifters/fitness enthusiasts we can’t be included in the “normal,” subject groups.
Anyhow I ran another 10k yesterday, done 50 db shoulder presses with 6kg and 2 x 1 m plank -little bit sore but nothing out of the ordinary.
Doing a 10 k trail run tomorrow
Cheers
RH

What everyone is saying is spot on. I regularly sprain my scar tissue and I don’t feel like I’ll ever get back to normal. My normal is definitely not the norm though. Total time per week training (resistance, mobility, restorative, cardiovascular, etc.) would be 25 plus hours in the past.

Obviously I won’t get back to that but I would like to go about normal activities without constantly restraining the scar tissue.

4 weeks and 3 days.
Ran the 10k trail on Saturday - no issues at all. Thought I’d hang from my pull up bar on Saturday, done 3 very slow controlled chins - could feel it in my stomach but wasn’t painful - no issues. Also 2 x 1 min plank and 30 hyperextensions on a swiss ball - seems fine.
Seeing surgeon tomorrow for post op update

Saw the surgeon 15 mins ago - he had a feel around asked me a few questions and has given me the go ahead to start weights again.
Going to start with the strong lifts 5 x 5 in an about an hour - going to start with empty bar squats and trap bar deads and take it very easy and slow and build up from there - will post how it went later today.

Well that was good!
5x5 squats with 50kg -
5x5 military press 40kg
5x5 bench press 50kg
5x5 trapbar deadlift 50kg
2 x 1min plank
2x 15 hyper extn
50 crunches

Felt very very easy but softly softly catchy monkey - going to incr at 2.5kg each time I train and see how it goes.

Now 24hrs after - feeling good, even after a 6hr flight to Beijing! No aches pains or stiffness in the repaired area. Slight bit of doms in the chest but after not doing jack sh1t for 5 weeks that was to be expected. No training until Saturday

[quote]robinhood55 wrote:

Dsmith1231 - I had a boxing match on Sat 20th April and was training like a demon up until 5 days before the fight, I did cut down on my weights for the 4 weeks leading upto the fight but was doing sprints, bodyweight circuits (burpees, press ups, tuck jumps etc etc) and occasionally had to pop it back in but it didn’t stop me rom doing anything) - One question - Why are you waiting? I had my first session with the Surgeon in Feb - told him I was fighting in April and he said fine we’ll do it after - if you can get it done now then I’d do it and get it out of the way.

[/quote]

I’m waiting until after my fall football season. It hasn’t caused me any real pain. Sometimes becomes more noticeable than others, but the doc told me as long as it wasn’t causing me any pain and I could still push it back in, than it is okay to wait.

[/quote]

I’m waiting until after my fall football season. It hasn’t caused me any real pain. Sometimes becomes more noticeable than others, but the doc told me as long as it wasn’t causing me any pain and I could still push it back in, than it is okay to wait.
[/quote]

That’s basically what I was told. It did get a bit larger than he expected but as you can see I’m recovering well.

Well, had a nice break in Thailand for 10 days - done loads of press ups and planks but no “real,” gym work.
Got back yesterday and done 5x5 squats 60kg 5x5 military press 40kg 5x5 bench 68kg 5x5 deadlift 68kg - few chins and lateral raises thrown into the mix - no issues at all - feel like I could quite easily lift more but am remaining careful
Cheers
RH

24hrs after the above, no DOMS nada - feeling good.

Another 5x5 day yesterday + 2.5kg military press + 5kg on al others - feeling good

todays offering :
5 x 5 squats 75kg
5 x 5 military press 43.2KG
5 x 5 trap bar deadlift 78kg
5 x 5 bench 78kg
2 x 15 hyper exten
50reps lateral raise 5kg d.bell
50 reps cable crossovers 7.5kg ea side
4mins plank

Havent done any weights for a week - everything felt heavy today but no issues with the hernia - very smoggy here in Singapore - didn’t help the workout tbh!

Doing trap bar deads yesterday and my lower back went - SHITE
Anti inflamms and muscle relaxants - no issues with the hernia though

Hope your back to normal soon, keep us updated.

I saw a surgeon for my hernia a couple of years ago. He told me if there is no pain, surgery is not recommended. I’ve had a couple of times while training when it felt uncomfortable. I went into the bathroom and pushed it back in. It then felt better and I continued. I think the squishy bits got pinched in the ab muscles which tighten up while training.

Was it pain that made you decided to get surgery? Was it sore all the time? How long did you have the hernia before you had problems with it?

I reckon I had the hernia for a few years but I lost quite a bit of weight and it was more noticeable. It also started to pop out a bit - nothing drastic as I could push it back in. It was just annoying that every time I sneezed/coughed/lifted I knew it was going to pop out.

My surgeon said that if I was 60+ and didn’t have an active lifestyle then he wouldn’t recommend an op, but I’m 42 and very active so leaving it to get worse wasn’t an option.

Had my first BJJ session today, felt great - no issues at all.

Back still sore but still managed my first mountain bike ride yesterday - other than nearly puking it felt very good, slight soreness in the area where the mesh is but the cycling motion is the one movement that was almost guaranteed to hit the area. 24 hrs on from the ride, no pain, no soreness, nada. Same cannot be said for my butt! done a few chins/push ups yesterday as well - all looking good to date.

Also no issues after my BJJ class (was a private session) with my instructor so he was aware of the op and the areas to be aware of.

Weights lunchtime and another BJJ lesson tomorrow.

Benching 5x5 for 80kg now so strength coming back slowly but surely, will leave the squats and DL for when my back is feeling 100%
Cheers
RH

yesterday 5x5 bench 83.6kg military press 5x5 45kg no squats or deads due to bad back
started crunches with medicine ball again - other than DOMS no aches pains in the operation area.
Not sure what these crunches are called but basically using a medicine ball lift up from behind your head and rest the ball on your shins (quads vertical, shins horizontal)- go back down minus the ball then back up, retrieve the ball and repeat. Great ab exercise

Slight ache in the ab region after doing the crunches mentioned in previous post but all okay after a few days off due to watching the Rugby down in Oz.

Back still not great. When I get out of bed in morning it’s almost like I don’t even have the strength to keep a straight back, then after a couple of minutes all okay. Very annoying. Back to gym lunchtime.

lunchtime session went well - 10 mins on X trainer 10 mins running then:

5x5 military press 50kg 3 pull ups in between sets (I find pull ups strain the exact area of the mesh/op so just keeping it low reps for now)
5x5 squats 85kg (wasn’t going to due to the back but at a reasonably light weight I can keep perfect form and felt good)
5x5 bench 85kg - no issues - felt good
3 x 20 face pulls 10kg on the stack
2 x 50 lateral raises with 6kg DB’s
35 dips
crunches with medicine ball (3kg)
leg raises with med ball (3kg)
plank 5 mins
loads of stretching and foam rolling on my lower back

Feeling good - 1hr of BJJ tomorrow