Inglourious Basterds

His voice did.

“Director Cameo: [Quentin Tarantino] In the German propaganda film-within-a-film, “Nation’s Pride”, directed by Eli Roth, Tarantino voices an American soldier, who says, “I implore you, we must destroy that tower!”.”
— per IMDB.com

Overall, yes the movie was really entertaining and fun to watch. However, Tarantino’s signature slow paced, character building style just isn’t my thing, mostly because the dialogue just isn’t that amazing. Sure, there are some great lines, but overall it’s just not worth the extra hours of film. The movie ends with Brad Pitt and one other “Basterd,” however these are two of the characters we see least throughout the movie and therefore, despite loving anyway, have the least invested in. Every other character eventually dies, so why build the movie around them?

Spoiler alert fail.

[quote]ckallander wrote:
Overall, yes the movie was really entertaining and fun to watch. However, Tarantino’s signature slow paced, character building style just isn’t my thing, mostly because the dialogue just isn’t that amazing. Sure, there are some great lines, but overall it’s just not worth the extra hours of film. ][/quote]

I won’t quote your spoiler, but wow. thanks

WATCH THIS MOVIE

Tarantino’s best work so far.

[quote]ckallander wrote:
Overall, yes the movie was really entertaining and fun to watch. However, Tarantino’s signature slow paced, character building style just isn’t my thing, mostly because the dialogue just isn’t that amazing. Sure, there are some great lines, but overall it’s just not worth the extra hours of film. The movie ends with Brad Pitt and one other “Basterd,” however these are two of the characters we see least throughout the movie and therefore, despite loving anyway, have the least invested in. Every other character eventually dies, so why build the movie around them?[/quote]

Maybe movie aren’t your thing, brah.

Stick to books

[quote]ckallander wrote:
Overall, yes the movie was really entertaining and fun to watch. However, Tarantino’s signature slow paced, character building style just isn’t my thing, mostly because the dialogue just isn’t that amazing. Sure, there are some great lines, but overall it’s just not worth the extra hours of film. The movie ends with Brad Pitt and one other “Basterd,” however these are two of the characters we see least throughout the movie and therefore, despite loving anyway, have the least invested in. Every other character eventually dies, so why build the movie around them?[/quote]

What the fuck is wrong with you? Put “SPOILER ALERT” next time dipshit.

[quote]ckallander wrote:

I agree with you that Tarantino is too in love with his own dialogue, and since he has been so successful no one really has the power to force him to edit down his scripts. This worked against Jackie Brown which was too long, but it didn’t really bother me in the Basterds. Of course, I’ve only seen it once. If I tried to watch it again some of the scenes would probably get on my nerves.

I started to watch it on the interwebz but decided to wait and hopefully see it in theater next week…the first 30 min or so I watched was pretty good though. Can’t wait to see the rest.

Spoiler Alert

I heard Tarantino was the guy actually choking the German actress rather than the Jew hunter guy. Maybe he has a choking fetish or something.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
ckallander wrote:
Overall, yes the movie was really entertaining and fun to watch. However, Tarantino’s signature slow paced, character building style just isn’t my thing, mostly because the dialogue just isn’t that amazing. Sure, there are some great lines, but overall it’s just not worth the extra hours of film. The movie ends with Brad Pitt and one other “Basterd,” however these are two of the characters we see least throughout the movie and therefore, despite loving anyway, have the least invested in. Every other character eventually dies, so why build the movie around them?

I agree with you that Tarantino is too in love with his own dialogue, and since he has been so successful no one really has the power to force him to edit down his scripts. This worked against Jackie Brown which was too long, but it didn’t really bother me in the Basterds. Of course, I’ve only seen it once. If I tried to watch it again some of the scenes would probably get on my nerves.[/quote]

i went to see inglourious bastards tonight but it was sold out, so i rented jackie brown instead, it was interesting but WAAAAAAY to much dialogue.

Saw it tonight. Tom Hanks can sleep easy, because as far as WWII films go, he’s still better.

Well… the guys from the Dirty Dozen, them too. And the guys from Battle of the Bulge. Pretty much anyone who’s ever been in or made a WWII movie can sleep easy. Or really, in any war movie.

Needless to say, I thought the movie sucked. Typical Tarantino bullshit and a goofy ass ending.

But Brad Pitt’s character kicked a mess of ass. I’ll give him that. And the Bear Jew.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

Needless to say, I thought the movie sucked. Typical Tarantino bullshit and a goofy ass ending.[/quote]

Then why did you watch it? If you knew its directed by Tarantino so obviously it would have his style.

The movie is a “What-If” can you not wrap your head around that? I think this is one of the top movies about World War 2 even tho its an alternate reality it made me feel like i was watching a real WW2 movie.

SPOILERS

I’m giving it a 9 out of 10. Damned incredible film. All of Tarantino’s heavily dialouged scenes but in different languages.

Superbly done. The Jew Hunters’ performance was stellar. In my mind his performance trumped even Walken’s “grandfathers watch” speech in PF and the “You’re a Cantaloupe” scene with Dennis Hopper in True Romance. Which along with the rolling camera through the Ving Rhames/Bruce Willis scene (After killing Zed)in PF to me are some of the greatest scenes on film ever.

However, the movie didn’t represent the title as well as it could have. I’m an addict for backstory. I wanted to know more about the Basterds. I wanted to see more scenes of them interracting, kicking ass, and killin’ nazi’s. The movie was less about the Basterds and more about Shoshanna and that movie theater.

It was more a promotional technique to show the Basterd scenes in the trailers and ads, but in reality the movie ended up being bigger than them and as it turned out their role in the end scene was ultimately inconsequential.

Brilliant, shining moments to me were the following two:

1. Itroduction of the Jew hunter in the French Farmhouse. Not wanting wine, but milk instead, Pipe vs. Pipe, you guys know what I mean…
  2. The scene with Mike Myers and Churchill, ordering the film critic to Germany for the premier. Brilliantly done scene. I could listen to Meyers say “Industreh” all day long.

Extra Credit goes to the basement bar scene, so much dialogue, verbal fencing, the British Dude saying “Well if I’m going out I might as well use the Kings if you don’t mind…”

Great Movie, wanted to see more of the Basterds. If they want to do a prequel showing the early days of how the Basterds really came to be, they’d have sold at least one ticket already.

[quote]optheta wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

Needless to say, I thought the movie sucked. Typical Tarantino bullshit and a goofy ass ending.

Then why did you watch it? If you knew its directed by Tarantino so obviously it would have his style.

The movie is a “What-If” can you not wrap your head around that? I think this is one of the top movies about World War 2 even tho its an alternate reality it made me feel like i was watching a real WW2 movie. [/quote]

Yes dipshit, I can “wrap my head around it.”

But some Tarantino movies I like, most I don’t. But I’d heard that this wasn’t like most of his other movies, and it had Brad Pitt, so I figured what the fuck.

Turns out it was too much dialogue… and as someone else said, Tarantino’s dialogue is mediocre at best, and moves far too slow.

[quote]ckallander wrote:
Overall, yes the movie was really entertaining and fun to watch. However, Tarantino’s signature slow paced, …?[/quote]

It would make me feel good if you contracted scurvy. Or maybe rickets. HIV seems a little too extreme, but rickets or scurvy should teach you a nice lesson for being such a dumbass.

i saw that shit opening night. and while i don’t feel it was tarantino’s best work, it was still an awesome movie and totally worth seeing. brad pitt and christoph waltz (the jew hunter) gave amazing performances.

most boring piece of shit movie I’ve ever seen, the only redeeming thing about this crap was brad pitt and the basterds whom hardly got any screentime. I’m a fan of most tarantino flicks, reservoir dogs and pulp fiction being my favourite, but he really dropped the ball on this one. Movie was filled with tons of pointless dialogue and hardly no action, like the first scene for instance, like fuck if you know the jews are hiding under the floorboards fucking get down to it and kill them already rather then go on and on with pointless shit about cows and milk for 15 min. I don’t even want to get started on the bar scene with all the german officers.

[quote]fistacuffs wrote:
most boring piece of shit movie I’ve ever seen, the only redeeming thing about this crap was brad pitt and the basterds whom hardly got any screentime. I’m a fan of most tarantino flicks, reservoir dogs and pulp fiction being my favourite, but he really dropped the ball on this one. Movie was filled with tons of pointless dialogue and hardly no action, like the first scene for instance, like fuck if you know the jews are hiding under the floorboards fucking get down to it and kill them already rather then go on and on with pointless shit about cows and milk for 15 min. I don’t even want to get started on the bar scene with all the german officers.[/quote]

where have you been man? tarantino is all about dialogue. always has been, even as far back as your favorites. did you not notice that 90% of resivoir dogs is dialogue?

and while i figured some people would find the first scene a bit slow, i thought it was one of the best scenes in the movie.