T Nation

Ingenious Finnish Prison System

I’m not a fan of the US prison system, but I have to admit that the Finnish prison system sucks badly too.

For example this recent prison escape:

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Finnish+triple+murderer+escapes+from+minimum+security+prison/1135223321421

A guy murders 3 people (a father, a mother and their child). Gets life (which in Finland means around 12 years if you don’t get pardoned by the president). Serves that sentence in a minimum security prison because he is not deemed a threat (yeah… triple homicide is no biggie). Gets to work outside the prison (the prisoners usually just live in the barracks). Gets vacation time from prison several times a year… and now that he was soon to be released, decides to make a break for it.

The funniest part is his escape. He just opened the window in his room, jumped out and climbed a foreboding 24 inch fence.

And it took the prison officials 8-10 hours to realize that he was missing by which time he had probably crossed the border already.

In-fucking-genious!

• POC

He had killed three members of the same family at a cemetery in Amsele in the north of Sweden in 1988.

You have to give him credit for efficiency.

[quote]PredatorOC wrote:

The funniest part is his escape. He just opened the window in his room, jumped out and climbed a foreboding 24 inch fence.[/quote]

I dunno, I’d say it’s a toss up between ‘climbing’ a 24" fence and the warden saying “It is likely that the escape will delay his possible release.”

A 24" fence? Really? That can’t possibly be part of the prison security, can it?

Either they were having a rabbit problem, or Finnish men have the worst vertical jumps in the entire world.

I think I could cartwheel over a 24" fence…

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:

Finnish men have the worst vertical jumps in the entire world.

…[/quote]

Is there anyone whiter than a Finnish man?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Bauer97 wrote:

Is there anyone whiter than a Finnish man?[/quote]

You’d think that a Finnish triple-homicide prisoner who doesn’t see the light of day due to his crime. Apparently not!

So… did he make it past the Finnish line?

[quote]lucasa wrote:
PredatorOC wrote:

The funniest part is his escape. He just opened the window in his room, jumped out and climbed a foreboding 24 inch fence.

I dunno, I’d say it’s a toss up between ‘climbing’ a 24" fence and the warden saying “It is likely that the escape will delay his possible release.”[/quote]

An even funnier story might one that happened about a year ago.

Some junkie decided to mow down a 16 year old girl on a whim with his car. The girl died. Apparently he had chased the girl with the car, so it wasn’t an accident.

He got several months of PROBATION. And I’m not even making this up. There was a lot of media coverage about it. But, like always with the media, it lost interest quickly and I’m not sure if the sentence was changed.

Oh, and motor vehicle theft is called ‘illegal borrowing’ around here. The president changed the official wording so it wouldn’t sound so harsh.

I feel all fuzzy and warm.

• POC

[quote]PredatorOC wrote:
Oh, and motor vehicle theft is called ‘illegal borrowing’ around here. The president changed the official wording so it wouldn’t sound so harsh.[/quote]

That is frikin hilarious. Sounds like some PC crap they’d pull in this country.

So, will you start calling “murder” “illegal heart stoppage”?

That stuff is hilarious, especially the 24inch fence. Ive seen my 8 year old nephew climb our fence that is 48inch, so I dunno who they think there keeping caged in with that shit.

I live and work close to a female prison. They have three fences enclosing the place, all 20 or so feet apart, completely covered in razor wire(top and bottom), the middle fence being electrocuted wire, and all about 50 feet high. And they have armed snipers in lookout towers. Poor girls.

You best believe I holler and wistle every time I see them out in the yard :wink:

[quote]T-Nick wrote:
That stuff is hilarious, especially the 24inch fence. Ive seen my 8 year old nephew climb our fence that is 48inch, so I dunno who they think there keeping caged in with that shit.

I live and work close to a female prison. They have three fences enclosing the place, all 20 or so feet apart, completely covered in razor wire(top and bottom), the middle fence being electrocuted wire, and all about 50 feet high. And they have armed snipers in lookout towers. Poor girls.

You best believe I holler and wistle every time I see them out in the yard ;)[/quote]

The fences and snipers are actually there to keep guys like you out, not them in.

Hey, give my countrymen a break.

They don’t have much experience with crime (really).

You’re talking about a place where quite literally no one locks their doors, and if you leave your wallet on a park bench, you can come back the next day and it’ll still be there.

They’ve got quite the tradition of honesty and they take honor very seriously.

After WWII, they were the only ones to pay their war debts back to the U.S.

They probably don’t get the criminal mind and figure that, despite their crimes, they’ll abide by the rules. Naive, I know, but they’ll be jaded soon enough.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Bauer97 wrote:

Is there anyone whiter than a Finnish man?[/quote]

it don’t get no whiter than a norwegian.

Northern Europe is one of the most laid back places on Earth. Crime rate is so low, you need to practice Magnificent Mobility for 3 months before you can pick it up from wherever it fell down. People over there just don’t get the concept of crime because it’s so rare.

In the US, cops will shoot you if you do 100mph on the freeway and don’t stop. Whereas Ghost Rider runs the distance between Stockholm and Uppsala at an AVERAGE speed of 170mph (270km/h) and is a freakin’ national hero.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2265073516417312732

OK, the “national hero” thing is technically an exaggeration, but not by much.

It’s a very different world.

[quote]HOV wrote:
So… did he make it past the Finnish line?[/quote]

Awesome.

[quote]florin wrote:
Northern Europe is one of the most laid back places on Earth. Crime rate is so low, you need to practice Magnificent Mobility for 3 months before you can pick it up from wherever it fell down. People over there just don’t get the concept of crime because it’s so rare.

In the US, cops will shoot you if you do 100mph on the freeway and don’t stop. Whereas Ghost Rider runs the distance between Stockholm and Uppsala at an AVERAGE speed of 170mph (270km/h) and is a freakin’ national hero.

It’s a very different world.[/quote]

Northern Europe being scandanavian countries?

To my understanding, german police carry uzi’s, (the big, military grade kind), and will gladly cut you in half with them.

[quote]florin wrote:

It’s a very different world.[/quote]

Ghostrider is nuts! His helmet cam looks like a video game.

BarneyFife,

[quote]BarneyFife wrote
[…]

It’s a very different world.

Northern Europe being scandanavian countries?

To my understanding, german police carry uzi’s, (the big, military grade kind), and will gladly cut you in half with them.
[/quote]

Well, you must mean that other Germany then - Germany is not part of Scandinavia…

As for our police, they are armed, but they don’t carry Uzis around with them leisurely. I think they do have automatic weapons and vests stored in their cars, but they only take them out, when “Ghost Rider” visits the country…

Europe - world of wonders…
:wink:

Makkun

[quote]TC wrote:
Hey, give my countrymen a break.

They don’t have much experience with crime (really).

You’re talking about a place where quite literally no one locks their doors, and if you leave your wallet on a park bench, you can come back the next day and it’ll still be there.

They’ve got quite the tradition of honesty and they take honor very seriously.
[/quote]

It’s true that crime here is not what it is in US for example. But things seem to be getting worse in the cities.

In the city I live in, we have our share of crime and rather severe drug and alcohol problems. No one ever leaves anything unlocked or unattended. Violence is quite prominent in the night life since sentences for assaults are usually lenient.

But in the countryside everything changes. For example, my gym is located in a barn on my cousins farm some 12 miles away from the city. I usually leave my car unlocked and the keys in the ignition and I can still be confident it will be there when I come back. Thats one reason I prefer to keep my equipment there. It is quite a relaxing environment.

• POC

Reading that article it sounds like there’s a bit of a back story on this guy. Anyone have any more on this story?