T Nation

Informing on Personal Hygiene

I have friend that Really,really,REALLY reaks of B.O Im not trying to be a dick but on a good day,He probably smells worse than me after walking through the rain,after a hard work out through a manure field. Its really that bad. Is there a polite way…or even a RIGHT way to tell him that he needs to bathe daily?

I go with blunt, but that is me. Tell him he smells like a monkeys ass and needs to take care of that shit. Wait is this one of those “my friend”… but in reality it is you?

Wear a gas mask, hazmat suit and hold a sign saying, “DUDE, YOU SMELL LIKE AN ANCHOVIE’S PUSSY”.

Now THAT’S a friend.

No matter how you say it, the most important thing is that you need to say it. Blunt is probably good.

I work with a guy that goes to the gym and comes straight to work, without showering. Smells like rotting garbage, everyone notices it. If I was friendly with him, or if he wasn’t generally on the opposite side of the building, I’d definitely say something.

We had a friend like that in high school. We drew staws, so to speak, and my one friend had to tell the stinky one that he stank. The dude cleared it up pretty quick.

Everytime you see him, just tell him he smells bad.

buy him a shower gel and deodorant set as a “gift” and tell him he smells, we did this to a friend a few years ago he got the message.

Respect goes a long way in these situations. You can be a dick or you can just let him down easy. I’d let him down easy if he was my friend. If he was a friend of a friend, or a friend of my brother, or something along those lines… I’d be a dick, but just because I enjoy it.

Be straight foreword yet polite, and don’t tell him in front of anyone. After that, you can’t really worry about dude’s feelings.

There’s no real subtle way of telling someone this. He’ll probably get that if not immediately than soon after when he thinks to himself what a nice person would have said in your place.

I have a good friend who suffers from a bad case of BO. And being the “good communicator” that I am, I totally called him on the carpet about it. He claimed that “commercial deodorants” contain all kinds of chemicals that are bad for your body. He uses (and continues to use even after the talk) some bullshit that he buys from the local healthfood store that doesn’t work.

Then the hypocrite uses “head and shoulders” as shampoo cuz he has dandruff! (yes I pointed out the irony of this to no avail)

So now I call him “stinky”. We’re still friends, and you kind of get used to it, I guess. It’s odd because it really doesn’t seem to bother him.

i get a little fragrant from time to time, i just overpower my deoderant. but i shower and think im in a significantly better place than the guy in question. how good of a freind is it? he may not notice, sit him down, it will go a long way especially with the ladies im sure.

No one else here goes o-natural and takes a dip in the pond every couple weeks to freshen up?

I’ve heard horror stories about crowds in Europe.

[quote]DJHT wrote:
I go with blunt, but that is me. Tell him he smells like a monkeys ass and needs to take care of that shit. Wait is this one of those “my friend”… but in reality it is you?[/quote]
In what way would the question benefit me? I think I would recognize my own odor and take care of it before going to a forum for help. Anyway,I plan on telling him about it and try not to be a dick about it. Its embarrassing but it needs to be said. Btw,anybody try the new Old Spice Deodorant? I have Matterhorn and its amazing.

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:
I go with blunt, but that is me. Tell him he smells like a monkeys ass and needs to take care of that shit. Wait is this one of those “my friend”… but in reality it is you?[/quote]
In what way would the question benefit me? I think I would recognize my own odor and take care of it before going to a forum for help. Anyway,I plan on telling him about it and try not to be a dick about it. Its embarrassing but it needs to be said.[/quote]

Man was a joke. Sorry I only have a very few close friends and I would be blunt, they are blunt with me.

I think being blunt with close friends is the right way to go but I only complain because I constantly work with the guy as well. It makes me gag whenever I stand down wind from him and last summer was the worst. You know how Houston summers are…I like that he always complains about not getting laid all the time.

Funny but I’m sure he already knows.

If its as bad as you say, someone has told him. He probably values you as a friend because you don’t ride him for it.

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:
Funny but I’m sure he already knows.

If its as bad as you say, someone has told him. He probably values you as a friend because you don’t ride him for it.[/quote]

If the guy complains about not getting laid, i’d tend to think that he must not think he smells that bad. Otherwise, he’d be more aware of his personal hygene. Everybody knows the vast majority of women aren’t going to fuck a guy who smells funky.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
No one else here goes o-natural and takes a dip in the pond every couple weeks to freshen up?

I’ve heard horror stories about crowds in Europe.[/quote]

lol at o-natural. bourgeois reporting.

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:
Funny but I’m sure he already knows.

If its as bad as you say, someone has told him. He probably values you as a friend because you don’t ride him for it.[/quote]

If the guy complains about not getting laid, i’d tend to think that he must not think he smells that bad. Otherwise, he’d be more aware of his personal hygene. Everybody knows the vast majority of women aren’t going to fuck a guy who smells funky.[/quote]

Then again, I’ve encountered some pretty gag-inducing stenches from wenches in the trenches at my local supermarket. Far worse than any dudes; not fishy, just…uncleansed…

All I know is, if I smelled that way, one of my buddies would have called me out on it as soon as they got their first whiff. That’s friendship.

I have a friend that told me another friend told him how hot his breath was and he really appreciated it.

I would be embarassed if someone told me that then Id get over it and be grateful.

They key is to not get so amped up to do it that you end up yelling at him. Write down what you are going to say. Say it calmly and not condescendingly and it will be fine.