T Nation

Info Overload - Program Suggestions?

Hi Everyone,

A buddy of mine directed me to this site as it helped him answer a lot of his questions. My occupation is a nurse so I am sometimes required to do a lot of reaching and heavy lifting. I want to get into the best possible shape so that I don't injure myself.

I'm an Asian guy who weighs in at 220 lbs. I am 6 feet tall. I have a protruding belly that annoys the hell out of me. I want to increase my strength, look good and feel good.

I've been doing a lot of reading, and the information has been overwhelming. I have read many great articles but have not found any that might suggest a program to try. Can someone please provide me with a link that suggests a work out program (i.e Monday do this, Tuesday do this etc).

Thanks to all for any helpful response.

V

geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

Rippetoe's Starting Strength
http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/starting_strength_the_guide

Madcows 5x5 is a good program for intermediate lifters. I don't think you're there yet. Rippetoes is probably better for where you're at right now (less volume, more frequency, more consistency).

I suggest you heed forbes' advice. Madcow 5x5 is a very good and basic program, it is exactly what you need. It's simple, which is what you need, and ensures that you are progressing from week to week. To shed some fat, on off days or after your workout, you can run hill sprints, or regular sprints at a track (i.e. 400ms, 200ms, etc).

Thanks for the advice. I'll give Madcows 5x5 a try tomorrow morning. Originally, based on the article below:

http://www.tmuscle.com/...albody_training

I was going to start on my chest and do 4 composite exercises and 2 single joint exercises. And then move onto another body part the following day and so forth. But I should build a good foundation before trying to do what I had planned. What do you guys think?

Chest exercises: Incline, flat, decline bench presses. Wide-grip dips. cable crossover and butterfly

or the Madcow?

Thanks for the advice. I'll give Madcows 5x5 a try tomorrow morning. Originally, based on the article below:

Total-Body Training
The 3-day-per-week, full-body workout plan
by Chad Waterbury

I was going to start on my chest and do 4 composite exercises and 2 single joint exercises. And then move onto another body part the following day and so forth. But I should build a good foundation before trying to do what I had planned. What do you guys think?

Chest exercises: Incline, flat, decline bench presses. Wide-grip dips. cable crossover and butterfly

or the Madcow?

If I'm not mistaken they have the same frequency, 3 days a week? Either way, they both are fine, pick one and STICK WITH IT for 6 months and re-assess. Take advantage of your newbie gains.

Go with Madcow or Starting Strength. You answered your own question. You need to get a strong and powerful base.

Male nurse? Not a lot of men in that profession are there greg?

pb andy is right. stick with it. don't neglect kitchen time. don't just go through the motions and train with intensity. don't curl in the squat rack.

Started on the Madcows with light weights and the back of my thighs and lower back aches a bit, which just goes to show how out of shape I am. Meeting with a trainer to make sure I am doing the deadlifts and power cleans properly. Thanks for the good advice. I'll still to this program for half a year to a year and see where I should go from there. Again, thanks for all the advice.