Inflexible Ankles

My ankles are really starting to piss me off. I can’t squat without a dime under my heels, lest I fall flat onto to my face (literally). It’s strating to effect every part of my athletic life.

Shit, it even effects my ability to WALK UP HILLS (lot of hills where I’m at).

Can anyone suggest a way to fix this? I stretch them near constantly, but nothing seems to help.

do you have an injury or they are just inflexible.

I don’ tknow if it works but the “rubber band man” has a book called "don’t ice that ankle that addresses strength and flexibility.

I’m working with you in the ankle flexibility department, I believe it involves more than stretching the calf in a straight leg position.
Recently I’ve tried a basketball drill of walking on your ankles, and using the bands while writing the alphabet in the air with your feet.

Also stop putting things under your heels and don’t force it all in one day, try to slowly squat low, goodluck.

I don’t know how you’re currently training, but I’d advise focusing on training more in multiple planes and directions.

Incorporate more lateral lunges, anterior reaches, jump squats… focus on speed and range of motion.

Do not fear the bodyweight exercises either and be creative.

I haven’t tried this yet, but I just saw this video off of DeFranco’s site. This might be helpful for you.

An article that I’ve found really quite useful =]

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
My ankles are really starting to piss me off. I can’t squat without a dime under my heels, lest I fall flat onto to my face (literally). It’s strating to effect every part of my athletic life.

Shit, it even effects my ability to WALK UP HILLS (lot of hills where I’m at).

Can anyone suggest a way to fix this? I stretch them near constantly, but nothing seems to help.[/quote]

This therapist says you should try having someone help you passively stretch. By this I mean you would lie on your back on a bed or the floor, then they would passively do a hamstring stretch while your leg is strait, when they get to your pain zone they would stop, and then gently (and I mean ever so gently)while supporting said leg, they will grasp foot on the underside of shoe or foot and put pressure on toes/ball of foot. At first you will feel like your being electrocuted so go easy.
If possible applying moist heat to the heel cords may help warm them up.
Massage (by anyone) would help as well and possibly a trip to your local “Good Feet Store” (see if there is one in your area.)As you may be way out of alignment which would contribute to tight heel cords.

i got the same problem, continue to stretch using different modalities. PNF, static, passive, fascia etc.

maybe get a gait analysis to determine if your pronating or supinating too much that ortho’s can help relive OR start doing exercices or rehab to correct your foot issues.

lite plyo’s worked for me in the beginning along with gastroc/soleus/achilles work.

Have you tried PNF, i.e. contract-relax stretching?

Good Feet store nearest you. Emmit swears by it and it’s the real deal.