Inflation Hedges?

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Any marketable good is a suitable hedge for inflation. Productive assets are even better hedges for inflation because theoretically incomes produced by them can also rise with inflation.[/quote]

Might not be quite that simple.

In the event of severe inflation combined with general economic havoc, less-critically-necessary marketable goods might have nominal increases in value that are relatively piddling compared to food and possibly energy. Also, productive assets that produce less-critically-necessary marketable goods might see their incomes and values have nominal increases that are relatively piddling compared to food and possibly energy.

Critically-needed marketable goods:

A lot of food is perishable, so it can’t be stored for a long period of time. Canned goods take up a lot of room, and are not as healthful as fresh or frozen food (although they are certainly better than starving). Oil and natural gas are expensive to store. Futures contracts have possible problems mentioned further above.

Assets that produce critically-needed marketable goods:

Pick the wrong ones, and if severe economic dislocations hit their costs will run up faster than their revenues.

[quote]NealRaymond2 wrote:

[quote]Sweet Revenge wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I used to own “A Course in Miracles”.[/quote]

I USED to own it too. (I’m sure that doesn’t suprise you)
I thought it was really interesting at first, but it soon started babbling like a brook.

Then, I experienced two rather painful life-changing experiences (about 2 years apart) and became a little superstitious about having it around. I ended up donating it to a church book sale. But not without a few prayers of blessings and protection for the next owner!
[/quote]
Water under the bridge, but you should have shredded it or burned it. Seriously.

[quote]
Anyway, back to my original question. What does CM have to do with the probabilities in trading. I don’t get the connection.
[/quote][/quote]
CM might appeal to some people as alternative means to win at trading. But the ultimate cost for using these alternative means will dwarf all winnings.

I’d like to get back into trading. I sold property last year and I’m sitting on way too much cash in the wrong place. All because I’ve been too busy to develop a plan. With stocks, I prefer the contrarian approach when the opportunity arises and it’s served me well in the past (Ford, AIG).

And I enjoyed tinkering with commodities for years. Used to trade with Lind-Waldock back when they were around. It’s distressing that they became MF Global and went backrupt under Corslime. Who is a good futures broker now? Is Forex just for currencies?

[quote]NealRaymond2 wrote:

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Any marketable good is a suitable hedge for inflation. Productive assets are even better hedges for inflation because theoretically incomes produced by them can also rise with inflation.[/quote]

Might not be quite that simple.

In the event of severe inflation combined with general economic havoc, less-critically-necessary marketable goods might have nominal increases in value that are relatively piddling compared to food and possibly energy. Also, productive assets that produce less-critically-necessary marketable goods might see their incomes and values have nominal increases that are relatively piddling compared to food and possibly energy.

Critically-needed marketable goods:

A lot of food is perishable, so it can’t be stored for a long period of time. Canned goods take up a lot of room, and are not as healthful as fresh or frozen food (although they are certainly better than starving). Oil and natural gas are expensive to store. Futures contracts have possible problems mentioned further above.

Assets that produce critically-needed marketable goods:

Pick the wrong ones, and if severe economic dislocations hit their costs will run up faster than their revenues.[/quote]

Quit thinking in currency.

Marketable goods can be bartered.

If it is marketable then that means people have want for it. No biggie.

And by definition “productive assets” can only produce “marketable goods” otherwise it could not be considered “productive”.

Is Forex just for currencies?
[/quote]

FOREX = Foreign Currency Exchange Market

Got it BC, thanks. I’m looking at www.efutures.com. Anyone familiar with these platform choices? Would you recommend one over the others? Or do they all basically do the same thing?

Online Trade Platform Choices

1. RANweb / RANorder, or
  2. Efutures Pro, CQG Web Trader, & CQG Integrated Client
  3. Strategy Runner, or
  4. NinjaTrader

Got it BC, thanks. I’m looking at www.efutures.com. Anyone familiar with these platform choices? Would you recommend one over the others? Or do they all basically do the same thing?

Online Trade Platform Choices

1. RANweb / RANorder, or
  2. Efutures Pro, CQG Web Trader, & CQG Integrated Client
  3. Strategy Runner, or
  4. NinjaTrader
    [/quote]

I unno. I use OptionsXpress.com so I can lessen price risk on behalf of some family members.