T Nation

Inflammation of Patellar Tendon

Guys and gals, I was just informed by my Dr. that I have an inflammation of the patella tendon on my left leg. The recommendation is to rest for a couple of weeks as well as take an anti-inflammetory.

Now, I don’t want to stop doing lower body workouts, but am concerned with how much I should do. I know I could go with single leg squats but should I got for high reps so I don’t develop a muscle imbalance?

Should I go with just body weight stuff to preserve what I have?

For the record, I was just about to start a cutting phase and will be limiting the cardio to walking. Running is what really aggravates the tendon right now.

Please feel free to give me suggestions, I’m here to learn.

Assuming your doctor was an orthopaedic I think it is important that you listen to what he said. If you insist on continuing training I would consult a Certified Athletic Trainer or Physical Therapist.

With any strenous activity make sure you rest, ice, compress, and elevate afterward.

I can’t specifically recommend any exercises so my best advice is to seek out someone who can get a hands on look at it and give you a decent exercise protocol.

If you trust your Dr. rest it for a little while. Much better for the long haul.

Ride a bike. Pedal bike that is. Stationary is fine or put some time in on the open road. I hear Lance Armstrong is needing some ‘pacers’. Now’s your chance. Seriously, I’ve fought patella pain for a long time and inactivity was the worst thing to do. Try one of those thin bands that go right below your kneecap. When my patella flares up I wear one of those for awhile and all is well. Really haven’t had much patella trouble since I got one of those about 6 years ago.

After your knee starts to feel better try some static holds. I’ve had good luck with these. Just balance on your left leg and squat. You might only get a barely bent knee at first but that has worked for me. Hold for up to 5 mins but that will take a long time to get to that level. Keep working down till your in a full one legged squat.

Barry

Thanks guys. I was planning to rest my injured leg but just wasn’t sure if I should avoid doing anything for the healthy leg for the next couple of weeks, or more.

I do plan to slowly get back into things since I don’t want to have to go through another session of rest and rehab.

Thanks again.

[quote]mozhne wrote:
Ride a bike. Pedal bike that is. Stationary is fine or put some time in on the open road. I hear Lance Armstrong is needing some ‘pacers’. Now’s your chance. Seriously, I’ve fought patella pain for a long time and inactivity was the worst thing to do. Try one of those thin bands that go right below your kneecap. When my patella flares up I wear one of those for awhile and all is well. Really haven’t had much patella trouble since I got one of those about 6 years ago.

After your knee starts to feel better try some static holds. I’ve had good luck with these. Just balance on your left leg and squat. You might only get a barely bent knee at first but that has worked for me. Hold for up to 5 mins but that will take a long time to get to that level. Keep working down till your in a full one legged squat.

Barry[/quote]

Not to attack you, but fighting through something like that isn’t the best long-term advice. If I am reading this correctly, it has been six years and you still haven’t resolved the issue. Yes, 100% inactivity isn’t the best thing, but 100% activity isn’t either.

It is my understanding that the bands are meant for athletes looking to complete a season before taking up rehab; they aren’t meant to be the end-all-be-all of every knee imflammatory condition. They are meant for issues involving the tibial tuberosity in which the band relieves pressure on the tibial tuberosity (attachment point) by establishing a mock-attachment point in pinching it, in another location, against the underlying tibia.

You can do one-legged squats for high reps? Impressive! I’m a whimp, couple of sets of singles and I’m toast. Now here’s the thing. If you don’t like/trust your doc, don’t go to him/her. If you do then follow their advice. I’m a medic not a Doc but nothing is more frustrating than trying to help someone who won’t listen to you. Is this person a Sports Medicine MD? If so their advice would carry more weight with me (but I’m not you.)

I would think some physical therapy would help speed recovery but again, talk to your MD about this. Heck, you’re paying them enough, talk to them and get the kind of care/reassurance you’re looking for. Good luck!

I’m bumping this up because I’m curious as to whether or not we’re dealing with a true orthopedic sports physician or just some regular ol’ PCP who doesn’t know a thing about treating musculoskeletal disorders. Most of them don’t know the difference between tendonitis and tendonosis, so patients waste a whole lot of time and often develop chronic conditions under their care.

The length of time it has been irritated and the severity of the problem would dictate how much relative rest you would need.

It would be a good idea to get some treatment on it. Some ultrasound, myofascial treatments and stretching should help get you back in action sooner.

Decreasing running will help, as there are significant forces tranmitted to the quads/patellar tendon during that activity, however, you may still be able to do some cycling or elliptical work without causing too much trouble.

Also, take the opportunity to focus on the posterior chain and do some exercises that stress the quads less and hams/glutes more.

Actually some eccentric based quad work can help stimulate recovery as long as you don’t over do it.

I would perform ice massage on the area after activity to reduce the chance of inflammation from the exercise. Make sure to ice the tendon with the knee flexed so that the muscle/tendon is in a lengthened position.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care,

Ryan

I’ve been there, had that! Pain in the ass! First off, don’t run on concrete or cement! If u must run or walk, do it on a treadmill, they reduce shock big time! Buy expensive shoes! You need to spend 70 bucks or more, don’t be cheap! Makes a bif difference, trust me. After your workouts, ice the living hell out of both knees! Massage before workouts & after. DO MORE STRETCHING! Make sure your form is as good as u think! Double check it! Film yourself & let someone (EXPERT) take a look @ it! Pay for this, trust me! They’ll actually look @ more than twice!

Before workouts, use TigerBalm & maybe wrap your kness every now & then. It keeps the synoval fluid in your knees warm & keeps your pattella in the correct place! Make sure u wrap from outside to inside!!!

Funny thing I want to add! Hindu squats helped my knees ALOT! Not sure how, just did. So u might want to look into it.