T Nation

Inflammation-Modulating Supplements

Inflammation control is always a big topic around here and I just happened read an article today addressing just that subject. I searched here for the herbs mentioned and most have only been lightly touched on in that respect.

Heres a very brief overview, perhaps some of the T-staff can elaborate.

Stephania tetrandra:

The compnenets tetrandrine (Tet) and fangchinoline (Fang) have been shown to suppress multiple inflammatory cytokines and mediators.

Boswellia serrata:

Acetyl-II-keto-beta-boswellic acid, (AKBA) is a selective inhibitor of 5-lipoxygenase (5-Lox). 5-Lox converts arachidonic acid to the highly inflammatory leukotrienes.

Luteolin:

Luteolin is among the most potent and efficacious flavonoid inhibitors of LPS [germ cell wall fragment]-induced TNF-[alpha], interleukin-6 production and inducible nitric oxide expression.

Stinging Nettle Leaf:

Nettle leaf extract (NLE) has been shown to reduce IL-2 and interferon-gamma release by monocytes. NLE was shown to reduce secretion of TNF-alpha by human dendritic cells, leading to reduced T cell-mediated inflammatory response.

Holy Basil:

Holy basil leaf extract (HBE) has been reported to be an inhibitor of both cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) and 5-lipoxygenase.

Green Tea Polyphenols:

EGCG and green tea extract (GTE) inhibited neutrophil-mediated angiogenesis in an in vivo inflammatory angiogenesis model.

EGCG reduced expression and activity of COX-2 in human chondrocytes (cartilage-producing cells) from osteoarthritis cartilage and GTE reduced inflammatory PGE2 production when the chondrocytes were stimulated with IL-1 beta.

EGCG was found to inhibit COX-2 without inhibiting COX-1 expression.

Ginger root:

The USDA Phytochemical Database reported as of 1999 that ginger has more 5-lipoxygenase inhibitors than any other botanical source.

Taken from:
Inflammation-Modulating Supplements
by James South, M.A.
http://www.vrp.com/art/1698.asp

you have to watch out because a lot of these compounds will block bile secretion from the liver giving you gastrointestinal problems. I personally discovered this through trial and error because of some of the ingrediaents i used to add into my protein shakes. Other noted anti-inflams are curcumin and rosemary. laters pk

I say stick with green tea extract, fish oil, and glucosamine chondroiton unless you’re really having issues. I do also take a substance called ETS. It is bascially ZMA but it also has microlactin in it and some other ingredients. It claims to both aid recovery and help with joint pain. Not sure about recovery because I changed too many variables in my lifting program when I started taking it. But I do find that it helped my joints and keeps me feeling great and pain-free.

This was very helpful for me. Thanks for posting it.

Inflammation, both unnoticeable and low-grade or acute and obvious are underlying mechanisms of so many problems. Still, we don’t want to erase it entirely, eh?

We need a reasonable inflammatory response for health - and tampering with too many herbs and nutrients simultaneously can result in unwanted side effects. Still, most Westerners deal with UNREASONABLE amounts of inflammation, which makes learning as much as possible a geat idea.

Thanks to mcalabro, et al. for the info. / posts!