T Nation

Infected Ear Piercing!

I got an earring two days ago. And this morning I woke up and my earlobe is a huge yellow bubble! And the metal part of the ring that goes through into my skin is black! What should I do it looks like a blister, a yellow one. Doctor? Or pop it myself?

For now take it out and put some alcohol or peroxide on it. If it continues the be infected or you begin to run a fever, go to your physician. If you do another one, be sure to use gold, sounds like you are allergic to anything else.

[quote]SeaSiren wrote:
For now take it out and put some alcohol or peroxide on it. If it continues the be infected or you begin to run a fever, go to your physician. If you do another one, be sure to use gold, sounds like you are allergic to anything else.[/quote]

Do not do this. alcohol and peroxide are considered too harsh for a new piercing.

Did you get it done at a studio? If so, go there and show them.

If not, go out and buy this stuff called ‘h2ocean’ its sea water made for healing piercings.

Use alcohol swabs on it a few/several times a day.

Alcohol is not the best germ killer per say… but it does DRY OUT the hole and the infection goes away.

It worked great when I had an infected ear and nothing else did.

Hey all. I realized what I did wrong. My instructions were to soak in warm seasalt water (1/4 teaspoon with 8ounce water) for 10 minutes. Last night, I guess I made the water too hot, and added too much sea salt. And I basically just burnt myself. It’s not an infection yet, it took me some time to figure it all out, with the help of the person who pierced me. Shit, so now I got a fat blisterearlobe. How long do blisters last?

[quote]SeaSiren wrote:
For now take it out and put some alcohol or peroxide on it. If it continues the be infected or you begin to run a fever, go to your physician. If you do another one, be sure to use gold, sounds like you are allergic to anything else.[/quote]

I agree.

I had the same problem when I pierced my ear years ago. I had to use a gold or sterling silver post only otherwise an infection would start.

And after an infection started, I just kept it clean with alcohol, peroxide, and switched to a gold or silver post to clear it up.

Those cheap posts will not work.

Just cut the whole thing off. You got another one, right?

blisters last a couple days usually.

and for future reference, DO NOT remove any piercing that you feel may be infected. Go immediately to the piercer or a doctor, who will tell you what to do. If you take it out, you risk getting the infection trapped in the skin, and that just turns nasty quick.

Did you do this at home? What? Are you 12?

Ya big dummy. Get some bactine on that thing! RRJC’s suggestion of h2ocean is great, too.

I’m not sure I buy the whole ‘water was too hot’ thing, but whatever - I’ve been wrong before. If you don’t get the h2ocean, make sure you use actual sea salt - that stuff is sold in the health food store because it’s real actual salt from the sea. Imagine that.

Earings are for girls.

“Boy, only two kinds of people wear earings; fagots and pirates…and I don’t see any ships sitting outside; do you?”

I don’t particularly buy that the water was too hot either.

Piercings aren’t very complicated to heal; do some sea salt soaks, maybe wash it with some antibacterial soap, and LEAVE IT THE FUCK ALONE.

Anyway, now that your piercing is infected, I don’t know what to tell you, other than to not take it out.

Have fun.

[quote]ThatGirl77 wrote:

[/quote]

Gonna have to disagre here. I paid like $20.00 bucks for an earing and piercing at a store. A few days later the “gold post” my $20.00 bought caused an infection that was cleared with a real gold post and alcohol/peroxide.

Just because it is infected does mean it was a home job with bubble gum machine earing metal.

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
ThatGirl77 wrote:

Gonna have to disagre here. I paid like $20.00 bucks for an earing and piercing at a store. A few days later the “gold post” my $20.00 bought caused an infection that was cleared with a real gold post and alcohol/peroxide.

Just because it is infected does mean it was a home job with bubble gum machine earing metal.
[/quote]

True. I’ll also add that if you go to a professional piercing or piercing/tattoo studio, you won’t run into problems with shitty jewelry.

Okay, well I’ve had it for 3 days. It was done at the best place in my county, the jewelry was processed for 10 minutes before insertion. Everything was clean. I really think that I simply burned myself because some of the upper part of my ear is reddish, like it’s about to be a blister but not there yet. And the guy from the studio said not to use seasalt solutions anymore for a few days. So the only thing that’s touching my ear is water until the blister dies down.

[quote]AzNinVazn wrote:
Okay, well I’ve had it for 3 days. It was done at the best place in my county, the jewelry was processed for 10 minutes before insertion. Everything was clean. I really think that I simply burned myself because some of the upper part of my ear is reddish, like it’s about to be a blister but not there yet. And the guy from the studio said not to use seasalt solutions anymore for a few days. So the only thing that’s touching my ear is water until the blister dies down.[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, did they pierce your ear with a needle, or with a gun?

[quote]AzNinVazn wrote:
Okay, well I’ve had it for 3 days. It was done at the best place in my county, the jewelry was processed for 10 minutes before insertion. Everything was clean. I really think that I simply burned myself because some of the upper part of my ear is reddish, like it’s about to be a blister but not there yet. And the guy from the studio said not to use seasalt solutions anymore for a few days. So the only thing that’s touching my ear is water until the blister dies down.[/quote]

Well at least this wasn’t a home job.

Are you using bactine? Several of us here are experienced w/ body piercing beyond the ears - you need to listen to our words and apply the advice!

Another thing - are you cleaning it with soap? They recommend Dial!

all i have to say about ear piercings (im just joking)

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
all i have to say about ear piercings (im just joking)[/quote]

That is, hands down, the funniest picture I’ve seen here on T-Nation.